Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 19,889 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I decided on Woodward Academy(main campus) for our two sons. We were wondering about what others have experienced at the school, hopefully all good and no bad?! One will be in grade six the other grade four. We chose Woodward because we felt that the academics and extracurriculars were superior to the other private schools. We also liked the amount of diversity.
We will be living in Druid Hills so hopefully there are many students from that area.

Thanks,
Kiara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Two of our grandchildren went to Woodward and had a good experience. However, their folks transferred them to Springdale Park because it was so much closer and appeared to be otherwise equivalent. They were looking more for the neighborhood school feel.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
Woodward Academy is Atlanta's first-rate Private Prep school. Tough academic program led by professional genuinely interested teachers. Very high academic standards X 117 years!
Students travel from Buckhead and surrounding areas to attend WA. That speaks for itself and in our experience, worth it.
Established since 1900. Any student lucky enough to be able to attend this Academy, graduates so ready for College and the world.
WA represents excellence and character and integrity.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:15 PM

175 posts, read 203,512 times
I think it depends on the child. I pulled my daughter out after 3 years in their elementary school and switched to a different school. It is a good school but I don't think it is better than say, Morningside Elementary. I really don't think my child was particularly academically challenged either. The difference between a good public school and Woodward are probably more obvious in the older grades.
The school is very traditional. There is very little creativity or innovation going on there and it's definitely not encouraged. Stay in chair, sit up straight, don't run in the hallways, wrong color socks for uniform, etc. and you'll get a conduct report, blah, blah, blah. I would have been fine there as a kid because I was rule-follower, but my child is more of a free spirit, imaginative type and she clearly felt stifled there. That's what I mean by it depends on the child. Also, there is quite a bit of behavioral issues at the school in my opinion. I had to go to administration several times regarding bullying behavior by other kids. Nothing huge of course but more along the lines of what I'd expect at a public school. I have friends at Lovett and Paideia who were shocked at the poor behavior in kids in 5th, 6th grade at Woodward. We switched to the Children's School in Midtown which was a MUCH better fit.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:39 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,980 times
Hope you got lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,289 times
Our experience has been the opposite of chabang. Not sure how long ago it was that you were at Woodward but my experience doesn't match at all and I am at the campus often. My kids are rarely stuck in their chairs and have not had issues with bullying or bad behavior. They emphasize 'no place for hate' and stick to it. They have community meetings and lessons from a counselor about character traits and community. They have a student centered curriculum and the kids are constantly using creativity, technology and innovation to engage. Two of my kids are 'gifted' and their needs were not met at the public school but Woodward is great about challenging them. They also get daily P.E. and there's an emphasize on the arts. In the lower school, your kids will be with the same core group of kids during the day and they'll travel for classes. I love that they're getting teachers who are focused in different subjects. My kids have learned to work with diversity and the kids come from all over. Lots of Druid hills kids and if you need the bus, I think you'll be very happy with the transportation. Message me if you have any questions!

Old 06-04-2017, 11:43 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Don't second guess yourself. No school is perfect, and you may find that it turns out to be a better fit for one child than another in a year or two. Woodward is a fine school, if it only meets 80% of your expectations, you'll be doing well! Hope your children enjoy it!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:29 PM

304 posts, read 324,833 times
All I know about Woodward is it is a prep school for mostly rich kids. It was way too rich for my blood so I never went. You will see the kids that get grants to attend, they ride MARTA out to Reynolds Town and Eastlake and get transferred at Five Points station. They take the train to the College Point campus, not the best area of town, but I will say the kids that do have to ride the train get left alone and that is nice. So if you are ever in that boat of having to send your kids to school and can't drop and pick them up with school hours and such the train is a good option.

Oh and yeah Druid Hills has lots of Woodward kids, and if not just Druid Hills you will find them in neighboring Virginia Highlands.

Last edited by arc-lang; 06-05-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
All I know about Woodward is it is a prep school for mostly rich kids. It was way too rich for my blood so I never went. You will see the kids that get grants to attend, they ride MARTA out to Reynolds Town and Eastlake and get transferred at Five Points station. They take the train to the College Point campus, not the best area of town, but I will say the kids that do have to ride the train get left alone and that is nice. So if you are ever in that boat of having to send your kids to school and can't drop and pick them up with school hours and such the train is a good option.

Oh and yeah Druid Hills has lots of Woodward kids, and if not just Druid Hills you will find them in neighboring Virginia Highlands.

Virginia-Highland.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:47 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Woodward is a very fine school and compares favorably with Westminster, Pace, etc. You should have a good experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: