Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
i know. why not just give them $36k and let them find a place to rent.
they are offering to relocate them in order to SAVE the 36K not give it out anyway!!!! If they still wanted to spend the money they would not try to help them at all in the first place. Saving the 36k per family saves the city money plus helps other homeless that arent in the shelter because Im sure there are more homeless then there are spot in the shelters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Could be but if they had family in NYC then they wouldnt be in a shelter in the first place. Obviously these ppl need help and if this will help them then whats the problem with it? Atlanta isnt the only place these ppl are going to LOT are going to the Carolinas other parts of GA Puerto Rico even other countries. Atleast Bloomberg is trying to help theses ppl and/or the city of NY what is Shirley Franklin helping either in Altanta or for the homeless? Nothing I can see.....if it helps these ppl I support it all the way.
The problem I find with this move is that it will be nothing more than a game of musical chairs. Each city, municipality, and state will devise their own version of New York City's "solution" if not already and the problem will remain the same.

But then again, maybe this situation is necessary. Maybe the national government will be forced to act considering how weak-kneed the states are at handling the homeless situation.

You hear that, "state's righters"?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The problem I find with this move is that it will be nothing more than a game of musical chairs. Each city, municipality, and state will devise their own version of New York City's "solution" if not already and the problem will remain the same.

But then again, maybe this situation is necessary. Maybe the national government will be forced to act considering how weak-kneed the states are at handling the homeless situation.

You hear that, "state's righters"?
I totally understand when I first heard of this I thought BLoomberg was just an idiot but after reading more about it I think maybe it will help SOME ppl. I know his thoughts werent all about the ppl.......... he was probably motivated by the citys money but I still like that atleast he is trying something. Maybe Federal govt does need to step in and offer some assistance with this issue but then again they arent really helping anything right about now.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
shirley franklin will welcome them with open hands. atlanta city council welcomes anyone except paying residents.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:43 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
The non-profit Travelers Aid has been giving homeless people from around the country one way bus tickets to Atlanta for years. Instead of going after the city leadership about something they cannot control, why dont you go after the other cities that dump their homeless on us or agencies like Travelers Aid that do that sort of thing

Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
That sounds good, much like we have here - St. Paul has the Dorothy Day Center and Mpls has Sharing and Caring Hands, both Catholic charities, but the cities and state funnel a lot of resources their way.

But what does Atlanta have for families? Or does the 'Gateway Center' serve both individuals and families?

We are looking at partnering with FCS Urban Ministries upon our arrival in Atlanta, so this question isn't merely academic. We are currently weighing the pros and cons of becoming 'stratrgic neighbors' in South Atlanta through the 'Charis Community Housing' program.
Sorry, I just saw this today. I really wish I knew, but I'm not sure about the families part.

I do know this much. From reading your many posts lately, I can certainly tell that you and your family will be a welcome addition to our City!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
A number of years ago the then-current police chief of Charleston SC had a solution:

Homeless were sent to the various agencies and they usually got back on their feet within weeks or a couple of months. The vagrants however - he put in the back of his patrol car, drove them 25 miles outside the city limits, and dumped them on the side of the road telling them, "Do NOT let me EVER see you back in my city". Funny - they never came back. Nor in my 7 trips to Charleston have I ever seen one single vagrant in their downtown/historic district. Ever.

hmmm

Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I was reading this article this morning on wsbtv.com about New York City exporting their homeless out of town:
New York Sending Homeless To Georgia - News Story - WSB Atlanta

and to be quite honest I was beside myself with frustration. If it isn't the "I am moving to Atlanta should I get a job" type threads that I read on here, if it isn't the problems brought by Hurricane Katrina, and if it ain't the 10.1% unemployment rate in Georgia, now we got New York City shipping their social problems to Atlanta.

As it is, Georgia does not have a great social mechanism for dealing with the down-and-out people already here, so now there are potentially more for our fair state to deal with. What do you guys and gals think? Can anything be done about this?
We already have too many of them here. Send them to Florida or Texas. And yes, something can be done about it. Have the Parole Board start offering parole to offenders "on the condition that you move to and establish residence in New York City" and see how fast that crap stops.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I think this whole subject has been blown out from where it needs to be. I know of "homeless prevention" programs here in Chicago that will provide one way tickets to people that don't have families in the area to relocate as long as they have family to receive them. Does it always workout? No. Does it workout sometimes yes. That's why its called homeless prevention. Another thing is its not only atlanta. They are willing to send them anywhere.

Please become informed on what a serious homeless prevention is about before responding like them damn yankees sending their problems down south.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 AM

10 posts, read 40,026 times
I really hope that many of you never have to experience homelessness. Some of these ppl had very good jobs and moved here with the hopes of being successful and I'm sure no one wakes up and say, I need to get the kids up, wash clothes, and after that, I'll play homeless? And with the latest tragedies and increased unemployment rates, there will be even MORE homelessness. Some of you need to really chill out, this is NOT your city alone, when you die, guess what life goes on. And there will still be homeless ppl. And if you're so gung-ho about the living conditions, how about you and your family move? Because obviously, if these ppl don't have money for a roof over their head or money to eat, they definitely don't have money to buy a plane ticket or bus ticket OUT of Atlanta???

You ppl are something else. GET OVER YOURSELVES!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: