Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

906 posts, read 1,747,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Forgive me - anyone I offend, as that is not my intention but here goes.
GA is hard core conservative. Rep or dem, no matter. The dems here are pretty conservative- most obama supporters during the past election here were african-american- many southern baptists- not very liberal. I know white and black dems in THAT area (mayretta, smyrna), they are against gay marriage, very against gun control etc.

If you are moving from a normal, more politically balanced moderate place, you are in for a disappointment. But if you can find several liberals to make friends with, then how many do you really need?
Well, I'm moving from a VERY liberal Midwest city, so I'm already not expecting to reproduce that. I just don't want to wake up one morning in a neighborhood where every single person but me is a George W. Bush Republican. As long as there is some diversity around, I think I can manage.

This discussion about the political feel of different parts of ATL is really illuminating, though. Someone said once that Vinings may be more libertarian than Republican--i.e., more socially liberal but definitely fiscally conservative. And that's one dimension (besides the singles scene) that differentiates it from Kennesaw and the northern suburbs. Does that sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,380,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Well, I'm moving from a VERY liberal Midwest city, so I'm already not expecting to reproduce that. I just don't want to wake up one morning in a neighborhood where every single person but me is a George W. Bush Republican. As long as there is some diversity around, I think I can manage.

This discussion about the political feel of different parts of ATL is really illuminating, though. Someone said once that Vinings may be more libertarian than Republican--i.e., more socially liberal but definitely fiscally conservative. And that's one dimension (besides the singles scene) that differentiates it from Kennesaw and the northern suburbs. Does that sound about right?
Yes, in my opinion it's spot on.

I really like the Vinings area. Would I live there? Yes, in a heartbeat if my job was nearby.

Is it the most liberal area of the Northside - no, not in my opinion. But that certainly doesn't take anything away from the place.

Good luck with your search, and welcome!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Well, I'm moving from a VERY liberal Midwest city, so I'm already not expecting to reproduce that.
Where? Madison?

Quote:
I just don't want to wake up one morning in a neighborhood where every single person but me is a George W. Bush Republican. As long as there is some diversity around, I think I can manage.
You'll certainly find that in the southern part of Cobb (Smyrna and Mableton) and probably also Vinings with its somewhat large young single demographic (and the apparent focus of the Vinings Jubilee area to cater to such people).

I was pleased to see a mix of political signs around our house during the last presidential campaign.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Where? Madison?
No, but similar. I'll give ya a hint: it's in Michigan.

Quote:
You'll certainly find that in the southern part of Cobb (Smyrna and Mableton) and probably also Vinings with its somewhat large young single demographic (and the apparent focus of the Vinings Jubilee area to cater to such people).

I was pleased to see a mix of political signs around our house during the last presidential campaign.
That's good to know. Someone told me the other day that the ratio of women to men in Vinings is something like 7:1. That sounds insane. Is there any truth to that?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
That's good to know. Someone told me the other day that the ratio of women to men in Vinings is something like 7:1. That sounds insane. Is there any truth to that?
I have no idea.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM

925 posts, read 2,609,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post

If you are moving from a normal, more politically balanced moderate place, you are in for a disappointment. But if you can find several liberals to make friends with, then how many do you really need?
What makes you think that Georgia isn't normal?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,265,593 times
Quote:
No, but similar. I'll give ya a hint: it's in Michigan.

I need to ask...why are you limiting to North Atlanta? Because the eastern part of town is very, very liberal. And there are lots of bars, restaurants, music venues, etc, to walk to. It's less car dependent when it comes to entertainment and shopping. That sort of thing.

So, is it because you're going ot be working up in North Atlanta, or there-a-bouts?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I need to ask...why are you limiting to North Atlanta? Because the eastern part of town is very, very liberal. And there are lots of bars, restaurants, music venues, etc, to walk to. It's less car dependent when it comes to entertainment and shopping. That sort of thing.

So, is it because you're going ot be working up in North Atlanta, or there-a-bouts?
Yeah, it's a job issue. I'll be working in Kennesaw.

I've had several people tell me Virginia Highlands is probably my best "fit." But the commute from there to Kennesaw seems like it would be nightmarish. The advantage of Vinings is its proximity to 75 (and to Kennesaw) and the fact that I'd be doing a reverse commute.

I'm open to suggestions, though, if anyone thinks there may be other areas that are do-ably distant from Kennesaw.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 35,669 times
Quote:
Do you happen to know of any apt. complexes/communities in Vinings that seemed similarly liberal to your condo area? (Maybe even places you spotted that seemed to have a lot of Obama signs--that seems to be a decent measure.) It's so hard for me to get a read on these places from the net alone, and I'll only have a two day span at the end of this week to check places out in person.

In general, does anyone have a feel for any of the following places in terms of types of people living there, safety, etc?

Gables Mill
Rockledge
Vinings at River Parkway
Wildwood Ridge
Magnolia Vinings
Village at Lake Park

I realize that not all of these places are in actual Vinings. Again, I'm not looking for liberal homogeneity or anything--just cool open-minded people, neighbors that aren't mean, weirdly judgmental or snobby, etc.

I'd also love to find a place in Vinings or Buckhead within walking distance of a good bar. Don't know if that's in the cards, though. (wxjay: I could definitely go for either the urban or quieter settings. They're both good, for different reasons.)
Hi. So I lived in the Vinings area for about 2 years before I moved to MI. I think I know where in MI you are referring to. But, I absolutely loved being in the Vinings area. I would agree with most of the other posts that it is mixed, but I will def say that you will not feel like the only liberal. The only place that I can comment on is Magnolia Vinings. The apartments here are very nice and well-kept. At that time I was a single female recently out of college and I had no issues with safety at all. The management was very responsive. This complex was also very social, so there were always activities at the pool and in the clubhouse, if that is what you are looking for. I think you would like Vinings very much. In terms of ethnic restaurants, there are not many if any. From my experience you would have to go more into the city for some of the good ones, unless there are some that I missed there.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 AM

288 posts, read 959,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Good rule of thumb, the closer to city of Atlanta you get, the more liberal it tends to become.

Hes right. I would say you would be happier in midtown, or any of the neighboring communities in that area. I disagree on the user who said Buckhead is liberal, the old homes around there are old money and lots of conservatives, which Im sure most are Republican. Maybe some of the random apartments where there are young college kids but other than that Im thinking midtown area is gonna be more the crowd your looking for. Hope that helps some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta