Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 03:29 AM

906 posts, read 1,745,951 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice for a move to the ATL area. I will be working in Kennesaw. But having read this forum, it sounds like K-saw might not be the best locale for a single guy, late 20s-early30s, wanting some access to nightlife (bars, especially microbreweries), "nutritional"/hippie-type grocery stores or co-ops, etc. I don't need anything super-trendy, but it would be nice to live in a neighborhood where I'm not the only person without kids. And to be near local restaurants, arts, etc. I don't plan on having kids any time soon, so schools are not an issue for me. I plan on getting a 2-BR apartment or house to rent, at least for a year. And, importantly, I need to not spend more than 30 min. getting to work. Traffic will drive me crazy.

I've seen a few people suggest Vinings, and I've now learned that the commute shouldn't be too bad to and from Kennesaw. Does Marietta have any good spots that would fulfill the sorts of things I'm looking for? Or is it all family-suburbia? Any other places I should take a look at?

Am I generally right in assuming that, as long as I'm south of Kennesaw and near I-75, I shouldn't have too bad of a commute? (I'd go into K-saw from the south mornings and head towards downtown in the evenings.) Is there any way to be near a MARTA stop and satisfy some of the things I'm looking for?

Any advice appreciated!

ETA: Is it nuts to consider Midtown or somewhere closer to Buckhead, considering the commute to Kennesaw? Sounds like those might be more happening places.

Last edited by K-SawDude; 05-25-2009 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 PM

168 posts, read 560,934 times
You should absolutely consider Midtown and Buckhead. It's easy to get to the 75 from both, and once you get to 75 you'll have no traffic at all since you're going against traffic.

The best choice though if you're really trying to stay under 30 minutes is Vinings/Smyrna. Look at the apartments along Cumberland Parkway, south of Paces Ferry Road. Also check out Smyrna's West Village and Ivy Walk. These are all really close to the 285, or you can take streets and get right on the 75. You'll have access to good restaurants, bars and shopping. And the commute to Buckhead and Midtown for nightclubs is really easy.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, Windu.

Could you or others characterize the "scenes" in Vinings vs. Buckhead vs. Midtown? Is it all kinda the same? I get the impression Buckhead is kinda yuppie/fratty. Is Vinings more laid back? Does one place have more local bars/coffee shops than another?

Is there any happenin'-ness going on at all in Marietta? I can't really figure that place out at all. Doesn't seem like it has much buzz on this forum, but also seems like it might be a more fun place to live than Kennesaw.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM

16 posts, read 81,514 times
Commuting ANYWHERE in Atlanta is an absolute nightmare unfortunately. Public transportation is pretty much a joke and gets no support financially or otherwise in the city. You definitely don't want to be in Kennesaw if you'd like any sort of nightlife. Pretty much the same for Marietta. These are suburbs that cater to families. They are full of strip malls, chain restaurants, etc. Vinings is great - lots and lots of younger folks, it's also a hot spot for singles. It's close to midtown and Buckhead (5 or so miles). The commute wouldn't be too bad for Atlanta, Buckhead would probably add anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes depending on where you lived in Buckhead. You might consider somewhere around SCAD up to the Peachtree Hills area of Buckhead. There's easy access to the highway from there.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,004 times
vinnings sounds best for what you are after

Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,302 times
Although Midtown and Buckhead are "cool" places to live, the commute would be terrible. The Midtown commute would be OK going to Kennesaw, but it would be about 30 minutes, especially if you have to use Barrett Parkway when you are off the highway. The commute back would be fine (minue Barrett Parkway) - until you hit closer to the Downtown Connector. 75 S tends to back up as far north as the Moores Mill exit on weekday evenings, increasing the time significantly for your commute.

For Buckhead, you'll be in trouble with I-285 and parts of 400.

Your best bet would be Vinings. There are some great bars in the area, and Midtown and Buckhead are still 15 minutes away for your trips on the weekends/Friday nights. Plus, the commute to Kennesaw would be quick - about 15-20 minutes, depending on where you were exactly.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 PM

This is great advice, guys. Much appreciated. It really does sound like Vinings is perfect for me. I spoke with someone at promove today and that's exactly what they suggested, too.

Are there any places in Vinings to definitely avoid or definitely check out? I've seen a little bit about some apt. complexes there, but overall it sounds like a pretty safe, relatively clean area.

BTW, is promove a pretty reliable service? They sound almost too good to be true.

Oh, and while I'm here I might as well ask, what are some of the best bars to go in the area? I'm def. into the microbrews and local beers, local bands kinda thing.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM

135 posts, read 640,299 times
I live in Mableton, which is a bit further south from where you're looking. Marietta has a Harry's farmers market which should satisfy all your nutritional needs. They have a wide variety of things, and while they might be a bit more expensive than other places, The do carry a lot of specialty items. I'm gluten-free due to Celiac and we get a lot of our goods from here.

I've not been to a lot of local bars, But there are a TON of excellent restaurants to check out. For a very special occasion i would recommend Canoe, which is in Vinings. Their food is excellent. They do a lot of fish and gamey meats, but i've never had a bad meal there. The 5th group also has a great selection of restaurants, We live near South City Kitchen and it's always a treat, the bartender there is great and makes a great drunken-palmer. Vinings also has a lot of good restaurants. I always check out opentable for reservations and stuff for area restaurants.

the Atl area has a lot to offer! i hope your move goes well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta