Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 10:29 PM

200 posts, read 983,137 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Atlanta this summer and have one child who will be entering high school (9th grade) and another in middle school (entering 7th grade).

We've applied to Atlanta International School, Wesleyan School, and Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Anyone with kids who attend these schools?

Any thoughts or feedback?

Global Nomad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 05:11 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
In terms of academics, I would rank them this way...

1. AIS
2. HI
3. Wesleyan

Are you an expat moving to Atlanta for a job or are you an American who has been wandering the globe? AIS is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) private schools to gain admission to. It does help if you are a true international family -- but I have friends who are and their kids have not gotten in. Have you kids been at IB schools already?

These schools are fairly spread out geographically -- where will you be living? If not AIS, and my kids got into both HI and Wesleyan - I think I would choice the one I lived closest too.

Neither HI and Wesleyan turn out many students headed for the Ivies from what I can tell... they are just good private schools that attract nice families. Wesleyan, by far, has the better campus, though HI is expaning theirs. I think Wesleyan offers more in the way of athletics, but I am not sure. In that area, neither compares to Marist.

At each school, excluding IAS, make sure that all the AP courses listed are actually offered regularly. I suspect that you will find a bit more religious diversity at HI then at Wesleyan. Wesleyan is a very faith based school. IAS will be the most diverse of the three and of coures, AP isn't an issue there because of IB.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 04-01-2007 at 05:23 AM..

Old 04-01-2007, 06:02 AM

Default 3 Private Schools? AIS, Wesleyan, & Holy Innocents'

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful comments, lastminutemom.

We're Americans who've spent the last six years living overseas where our kids have attended international schools.

We don't know where we'll live yet. We've secured temporary housing for several months this summer while we look around for something permanent.

After much research online, we couldn't figure out the Atlanta public schools, so we're hoping to go private instead as that is what the children are used to.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 AM

It is smart to have secured temporary housing, that will give you a while to learn the lay of the land.

Where will you be working?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:29 AM

Default # Private Schools? AIS, Wesleyan, & Holy Innocents'

Working in the Emory/CDC area of Atlanta.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 AM

I know that most private schools mail the letters on the 6th of April and the deposit is due on the 18th. Given that you are abroad, how will you be informed?

Presuming you get in all 3, and you like them all equally, I might research housing options. HI is pretty deep in Sandy Springs, but you could live in Dunwoody which isn't a terrible commute to CDC/Emory and there are at least some HI families there. Same with Wesleyan, Dunwoody or Peachtree Corners. AIS, I might consider Buckhead (if you finances allow it) or the Druid Hills (still $$) area or the Lakeside/Oak Grove area near Emory.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 AM

Default 3 Private Schools? AIS, Wesleyan, & Holy Innocents"

Lastminutemom, many thanks for neighborhood suggestions as we are completely unfamiliar with the Atlanta area.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on April 6th before we take our next steps.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:09 PM

88 posts, read 491,231 times
Post If I may....

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
Lastminutemom, many thanks for neighborhood suggestions as we are completely unfamiliar with the Atlanta area.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on April 6th before we take our next steps.
Hello,

I think that Lastminutemom gave you some good advice. I would like to tell you some of my experience. I have been overseas with my husband for the past 11 years. We are moving back to america this summer. Both of our children have gone to private american schools and because of this, we want them to continue in private schools when we reach GA. I have applied to 3 schools (2 christian and 1 catholic). The Christian schools asked fr me to call them at my earliest convenience to schedule testing since they know that I am overseas until early June. We are very lucky to have one of those internet phone system through vonage so that it will not be a long distance. We also have mail flown to us from the States. If you are in that position, it should not be hard to get things rolling. Also, I want to add that I made sure that I asked given the fact that I was out of state, if I my case will be considered. All 3 schools said yes.

I hope this helps,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta