Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM

550 posts, read 1,641,083 times

Advertisements

I am seeking career training in a "green energy" field, currently we live in Minnesota, but have plans to move to Atlanta the summer of 2010.

I found a program which fits what I want to do, unfortunately it is here in Minnesota. I've been searching the web for a similar program in Georgia, but so far haven't be able to locate anything. I will post the program description here....

+++++

Quote:
Heating/Air Conditioning Systems Design (HASD)

Program Fact Sheet/Courses (pdf file) (http://www.dunwoody.edu/factsheets/HASD3.pdf - broken link)

The Career
Greater reliance on new and alternate energy sources and efforts to conserve natural resources while improving energy efficiency makes graduates of Dunwoody’s Heating/Air Conditioning Systems Design program more valuable than ever. Students use mechanical engineering principles to produce working drawings of HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) residential and commercial systems, as well as plumbing and fire protection systems for large-scale commercial buildings. Most positions are with engineering firms, residential and commercial contracting firms or sales office environments. As designers they may collaborate with engineers in systems design, applications, testing and development work. Those who work with mechanical contractors perform design, equipment selection, layouts, estimating, and the supervision of systems installation. Sales positions involve applications, estimating, equipment demonstrations and testing.

The Program
There will always be a high demand for individuals that can design energy efficient heating and air conditioning systems for new and existing buildings. This program provides students with mechanical engineering skills and theoretical knowledge to design comfortable, safe and efficient indoor environments. Students calculate, design, and generate construction-drawings and supporting documents for residential and commercial heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems. In addition to field-related skills, students gain oral and written communication skills, computer literacy, advanced computational skills and critical thinking skills through Arts and Sciences and technical course work.

Program Length
Graduates of this six-quarter program earn an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree, depending on Arts and Sciences courses completed. Students with previous training or experience in the occupation may arrange to take selected courses in the program.
++++++

I am already registered for a one-week class in June which will qualify me for an "Energy Residential Auditor" Certification - this certificcation is a new offering in Minnesota, funded in part by stimulus monies... the class is designed as training for stimulus money disbursements to low to moderate income households - the families get an energy auditor performed through neighborhood organizations and the local utilities companies and then tap into stimulus funding to make energy-efficient home improvements. .

Professionals in all sectors of residential housing are jumping to add 'green creds" to their resume, thus they had to add more classes just to train those of us who actually want to get work as an energy auditor. A few weeks ago every session being offered was full.

??? Does anyone know of a similar ENERGY AUDITOR PROGRAM PROGRAM being offered, or developed, IN GEORGIA ?? If so, I could probably use that information to track down an Energy Auditor job once I get to Atlanta. I'll will hopefully have nearly a year's experience under my belt by then.

From: Dunwoody College of Technology - [Energy Auditor Training Page]

Quote:

Residential Energy Auditor Training

[Updated 4/15: Openings available in April and May in Bemidji and Rochester. Several summer and fall sessions still open. ]

This five-day course provides basic training in how to assess the potential for improving home energy efficiency and comfort. The Residential Energy Auditor program is suited for employees or individuals who are performing or interested in utility sponsored residential energy conservation audits and working with the low-income weatherization program.

A competency examination will be included with the cost of registration. Successfully passing the examination will allow students to demonstrate that they meet the State of Minnesota's minimum qualifications for residential energy auditors. Dates for the examination will be provided; students will need to reserve a test date of their choice after completing the course.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 04-16-2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: grammar :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,441,984 times
Go to the link below, and select "Air Conditioning Technology" from the Programs Listing drop-down box. There are a number of different programs available in the area, and they're all scrambling to "green" their curricula to meet the new needs of the industry. I teach a few courses at Gwinnett Tech and know the HVAC instructors, and they're working on a few things right now- by Fall 2010 when you get here, they should be up and running. If you'd like some contact info for the guys over there, PM me.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM

We are planning on moving to the west side on Atlanta, ITP.

30310 or 30311 zip codes

The unique aspect of the program I am looking at here in Minnesota is the fact it is a HVAC DESIGN A.A.S. Degree... not just a diploma program.

I want to position myself to be an Eco-Consultant/Designer ofr Green Energy HVAC solutions - not just an installer and maintenance person of standard HVAC equipment - although I do want to get my hands dirty and learn about how the syystems are installed, both new installations and retrofits - this practical knowledge will make me a stronger designer of green solutions for HVAC systems. While I know most programs will not focus on Green options, I do want to make sure the "design" aspect is covered.

I may have to wait for new "green" programs to get "on line"...

BobKovac's post actually helped direct me to look at "Air Conditioning" as the keywords for finding the training I am seeking... here in Minnesota A/C is only an issue 3 months out of the year... in fact last year we only turned on the A/C three DAYS all summer! Therefore, training of this sort is always listed as HVAC here in Minnesota. So that explains why I had so much difficulty finding similiar programs.

Are there any well-regarded private technical schools which are regionally accredited, and preferably non-profit? The school I linked to is a private, non-profit school which is help in very high regard here in Minnesota, and their programs are often a notch above the public technical colleges.

:-)

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 04-16-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM

I haven't seen and design-specific programs in the Technical College System of Georgia, but many of the programs will have some design-related material.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:33 PM

I think I found what I was looking for... but this may be even better than the Minnesota program, in some ways, because it covers more than just the HVAC systems.... I'll have to look into it further.

Building Automation Systems - DeKalb Technical College (http://www.dekalbtech.edu/academics/program.php?id=213 - broken link)

Building Automation Systems

The Building Automation Systems (degree) program will prepare the student for a career in the Building Automation (also Energy Management and Controls) Industry. This industry encompasses a broad range of current technologies and disciplines to maintain comfort, control, and energy savings in residential and commercial HVAC systems. The student will be prepared to install, service, and sell controls equipment including but not limited to access controls, fire alarm systems, lighting controls, and HVAC control systems. All commercial buildings now have some form of automation system and current technologies are integrating many of these systems into one. Graduates of this program will have the tools necessary to gain entry into this high paying and rewarding field.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM

That program is specifically about the electronic controls that turn the HVAC and other equipment on and off, as well as the other electronic systems within the building. If you're looking for design info on the HVAC systems themselves, and ways to make systems more efficient, that's probably not the program for you.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:56 PM

18 posts, read 53,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
I think I found what I was looking for... but this may be even better than the Minnesota program, in some ways, because it covers more than just the HVAC systems.... I'll have to look into it further.

Building Automation Systems - DeKalb Technical College (http://www.dekalbtech.edu/academics/program.php?id=213 - broken link)

Building Automation Systems

The Building Automation Systems (degree) program will prepare the student for a career in the Building Automation (also Energy Management and Controls) Industry. This industry encompasses a broad range of current technologies and disciplines to maintain comfort, control, and energy savings in residential and commercial HVAC systems. The student will be prepared to install, service, and sell controls equipment including but not limited to access controls, fire alarm systems, lighting controls, and HVAC control systems. All commercial buildings now have some form of automation system and current technologies are integrating many of these systems into one. Graduates of this program will have the tools necessary to gain entry into this high paying and rewarding field.
Hi StPaulEastSider, still interested in Energy Audit Training? Clean Edison will be conducting LEED Training in Atlanta and BPI Training in Birmingham (http://www.cleanedison.com/view-all-products-in-shop.html?search=search&submit=Go&zipcode_1=30310 - broken link) on different dates next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta