Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 28,808 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both places and am a single 25 year old female. NYC is fun, but you will spend most of your time trying to balance your lifestyle. Like someone said, you might be taking on an extra job or doing extra work to afford a 'comfortable' normal lifestyle. I loved the people, the nightlife, the activities, the job opportunities, but I hated carting my laundry down the street and wasting a whole Sunday, carrying groceries up 4 flights of stairs, high rent/crappy apt. NYC is also so dirty everywhere compared to a more spread out green city like Atlanta. The weather was crappy in NYC both super hot and cold, and girl, if you've ever been in the subway in July, you will wish you had your car and a/c in Atlanta! Nothing ruins your make-up and hair faster! (if you care about that)
You have to be really comfortable with culture in NYC, you'll always be surrounded by different beliefs and customs. You'll think you're fine with that until you see some of the weird stuff in NYC.
Atlanta is cool. I like it, and you can really have all the things you like about nyc. There is a lot of space and you can have your NICE condo AND the city AND have a car and washing machine. You can also have the nightlife, job opportunities, and culture. It's a much more comfortable lifestyle, and if you want the city scene, you can have it. High-rise luxury condos are popping up everywhere in Atlanta.
I think Atlanta is the better choice for you personally. Guys respect women here, and everyone is supportive for a woman focused on career. There is a lot of support for african american women. I think you would be 'hussling' in nyc, whereas in Atlanta, you'll be comfortable and supported both professionally and socially. If you really have the nyc bug, go for a while and then consider Atlanta after. I left Atlanta to go to NYC, but I came back. I'm happy I experienced nyc, but I like to have my cake and eat it too and Atlanta is the best of both worlds for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,252,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
As it stands I have several friends that went the ATL -> NYC route and obviously haven't figured it out yet. One makes 70k, lives in a $3,000/mon studio in Times Sq and depends solely on his wealthy parents to afford his lifestyle up there since 90% of his net income goes to housing. Another couple (driven by her fascination w/ the Carrie Bradshaw lifestyle), pulled themselves out of a very comfortable lifestyle down here. Despite having the quintessential yuppie lifestyle w/ close to 200k combined income (a couple sizable condos, Bimmers), they are now squeezed into under 500sq ft and paying more for their studio apt than their combined mortgages here with only maybe 20% more income. As bad as those stories are...they aren't moving back so there's obviously something to Manhattan.
Yes, if you plan to live comfortably in Manhattan, you better be making $200K plus... but that's really nothing for an MBA or JD in NY so it's not out of the question. Also, most people who grew up in NY don't live in the city... it's the out of towners who want to live the movie life... the Bridge and Tunnel crowd know how to live well and get many of the same amenities... it gets dicey once you have a kid but it depends on what you like... I know plenty of folks in 1,000 sq ft apts w/ 2 kids in the city cause they love it...

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yes, if you plan to live comfortably in Manhattan, you better be making $200K plus... but that's really nothing for an MBA or JD in NY so it's not out of the question. Also, most people who grew up in NY don't live in the city... it's the out of towners who want to live the movie life... the Bridge and Tunnel crowd know how to live well and get many of the same amenities... it gets dicey once you have a kid but it depends on what you like... I know plenty of folks in 1,000 sq ft apts w/ 2 kids in the city cause they love it...

Not any and everyone with an MBA will make $200k in NYC (not in these trying times, anyways), and I'm not taking anything away from the OP. She "may", but that is not usually the norm. Some will exaggerate with facts. You are also right about the out of towners being the ones to glorify living in Manhattan, and closer to the city.

And for your last statement, yes the parents 'may' be happy living in a cramped up apt. Have you asked the kids?. I guarantee you, most would prefer living in a suburban environment over a cramped apt in Soho anyday.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,535,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I have plenty of friends who live comfortably in NYC and don't make $200K plus. Yes you pay a lot more for housing but you don't need a car or car insurance. If you really needed a car for a weekend excursion you can rent one a few times a year for a fraction of the cost of owning one.

You also make a lot more money.

I love the city of Atlanta for many reasons. That being said, I would not want to live here as a single young professional. You can find many of the amenities Atlanta offers in many other cities. Not true of NYC. It is a very different lifestyle you can't find anywhere else. I think NYC opens up the door to a lot of opportunites that don't exist here in Atlanta. Also for the resume down the road when you are ready for a slower pace having worked in NYC makes a bigger statement than Atlanta. Just my opinion.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 AM

927 posts, read 2,229,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh24 View Post
I've lived in both places and am a single 25 year old female. NYC is fun, but you will spend most of your time trying to balance your lifestyle. Like someone said, you might be taking on an extra job or doing extra work to afford a 'comfortable' normal lifestyle. I loved the people, the nightlife, the activities, the job opportunities, but I hated carting my laundry down the street and wasting a whole Sunday, carrying groceries up 4 flights of stairs, high rent/crappy apt. NYC is also so dirty everywhere compared to a more spread out green city like Atlanta. The weather was crappy in NYC both super hot and cold, and girl, if you've ever been in the subway in July, you will wish you had your car and a/c in Atlanta! Nothing ruins your make-up and hair faster! (if you care about that)
You have to be really comfortable with culture in NYC, you'll always be surrounded by different beliefs and customs. You'll think you're fine with that until you see some of the weird stuff in NYC.
Atlanta is cool. I like it, and you can really have all the things you like about nyc. There is a lot of space and you can have your NICE condo AND the city AND have a car and washing machine. You can also have the nightlife, job opportunities, and culture. It's a much more comfortable lifestyle, and if you want the city scene, you can have it. High-rise luxury condos are popping up everywhere in Atlanta.
I think Atlanta is the better choice for you personally. Guys respect women here, and everyone is supportive for a woman focused on career. There is a lot of support for african american women. I think you would be 'hussling' in nyc, whereas in Atlanta, you'll be comfortable and supported both professionally and socially. If you really have the nyc bug, go for a while and then consider Atlanta after. I left Atlanta to go to NYC, but I came back. I'm happy I experienced nyc, but I like to have my cake and eat it too and Atlanta is the best of both worlds for me.
I agree 100%. I'm a native Atlantan that moved to NYC for post-grad studies. I will be moving back home right after graduation without hesitation. For me, it is hard to enjoy what New York has to offer because I'm so busy making ends meet.

It's not just that housing is cheaper, your whole quality of life is much more affordable in Atlanta than it is New York--whether it's public transportation or car registration (btw New York's fare for a monthly bus/subway pass will be $103, which is more than it would cost me for gas back home in Atlanta), groceries, laundry, restaurants, movie theaters, utilities, basically any service is MUCH less expensive in Atlanta. And by saving literally thousands of dollars on housing, you can afford to go to the theater (which I did growing up in Atlanta), visit museums, chill in lounges, and eat at great restaurants. Unfortunately, and of course this may not be your experience once you start working, but I have met many professionals who need more than one job to make ends meet in NYC, and because they are so busy working don't get to enjoy the lifestyle appropriate for their income.

Further, as an African-American female I was disappointed with New York. When I go home, Black people frequent the downtown areas, you see them at museums, at Piedmont Park for Screen on the Green, Fox Theater for an Alvin Ailey performance, the National Black Arts Festival, Buckhead, and Castleberry Hill, and all of this within city limits. You get a sense of pride that there are people that look like you frequenting your same types of hangouts (black, professional, grown and sexy, classy).

On the other hand in New York, it is harder to see Black people in Manhattan, the prime area where you're going to find most of the cultural activity and nightlife. Mostly because they tend to priced out. In fact, people can be downright discriminatory. For instance, I attempted to go to this nice bar in midtown last summer, and for the first time ever, I experienced a club that coincidentally did not let black people in, including myself and a friend, both Columbia grad students, well dressed, and attractive. I was appalled because I would NEVER see that type of thing in Atlanta. We aren't the exception in Atlanta, we are the norm and would be respected as such.

To find congregations of the black, professional crowd you'd have to go to Harlem or Brooklyn. But then you won't have the access to Manhattan life. For me, like another poster said, I get the best of both worlds in Atlanta--culture, nightlife, possibilities for professional development, and the ability to be around like-minded Black people.

I definitely agree that the opportunities are amazing in New York. But you also have to consider the competition and people's attitudes. So what if there are opportunities if the competition is ridiculously stiff and if there are fewer people willing to mentor and support you? So lastly, the hospitality in Atlanta is something that I loved and I met so many people when I was back home who were willing to support me...which is why I'm going back . T-35 days!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,363,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I agree 100%. I'm a native Atlantan that moved to NYC for post-grad studies. I will be moving back home right after graduation without hesitation. For me, it is hard to enjoy what New York has to offer because I'm so busy making ends meet.

It's not just that housing is cheaper, your whole quality of life is much more affordable in Atlanta than it is New York--whether it's public transportation or car registration (btw New York's fare for a monthly bus/subway pass will be $103, which is more than it would cost me for gas back home in Atlanta), groceries, laundry, restaurants, movie theaters, utilities, basically any service is MUCH less expensive in Atlanta. And by saving literally thousands of dollars on housing, you can afford to go to the theater (which I did growing up in Atlanta), visit museums, chill in lounges, and eat at great restaurants. Unfortunately, and of course this may not be your experience once you start working, but I have met many professionals who need more than one job to make ends meet in NYC, and because they are so busy working don't get to enjoy the lifestyle appropriate for their income. So not true IMO...maybe you havent been here in a while but between gas and maintenance i am spending a fortune ...please dont forget to mention the birthday tax for even owning a car and the amount of time spend drinving to a destination
Further, as an African-American female I was disappointed with New York. When I go home, Black people frequent the downtown areas, you see them at museums, at Piedmont Park for Screen on the Green, Fox Theater for an Alvin Ailey performance, the National Black Arts Festival, Buckhead, and Castleberry Hill, and all of this within city limits. You get a sense of pride that there are people that look like you frequenting your same types of hangouts (black, professional, grown and sexy, classy).

On the other hand in New York, it is harder to see Black people in Manhattan, the prime area where you're going to find most of the cultural activity and nightlife. Mostly because they tend to priced out. In fact, people can be downright discriminatory. For instance, I attempted to go to this nice bar in midtown last summer, and for the first time ever, I experienced a club that coincidentally did not let black people in, including myself and a friend, both Columbia grad students, well dressed, and attractive. I was appalled because I would NEVER see that type of thing in Atlanta. We aren't the exception in Atlanta, we are the norm and would be respected as such. What was the reason they gave you for not letting you in? Ive never seen anything like that happen in NYC..their are hundreds of nationalities just on Manhattan alone so I find it hard to believe that you were excluded for racial reasons

To find congregations of the black, professional crowd you'd have to go to Harlem or Brooklyn. But then you won't have the access to Manhattan life. For me, like another poster said, I get the best of both worlds in Atlanta--culture, nightlife, possibilities for professional development, and the ability to be around like-minded Black people.

I definitely agree that the opportunities are amazing in New York. But you also have to consider the competition and people's attitudes. So what if there are opportunities if the competition is ridiculously stiff and if there are fewer people willing to mentor and support you? So lastly, the hospitality in Atlanta is something that I loved and I met so many people when I was back home who were willing to support me...which is why I'm going back . T-35 days!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM

927 posts, read 2,229,698 times
I am only responding with my experience. And my experience living in Atlanta compared to living in New York was as I discussed. Please note that I said "whole quality of life" and then proceeded with all the categories that I included in what I pay for. I am not simply referring to one's automobile expenses.

Same with my experience with New York's nightlife. Your experience may be different, but I am only discussing mine.

Last edited by bizchick86; 04-21-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 AM

325 posts, read 981,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I am sure you realize the job market is very tight. If it were me, if I were young and single I would go where my first job takes me. It might not be ATL or NYC.

Getting that first job is always key, never more so than right now.

I would DEFINITELY have to agree with you...the job market in ATL (as like anywhere else) is way too competitive....go where the job takes you!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 AM

19 posts, read 51,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post

It's not just that housing is cheaper, your whole quality of life is much more affordable in Atlanta than it is New York--whether it's public transportation or car registration (btw New York's fare for a monthly bus/subway pass will be $103, which is more than it would cost me for gas back home in Atlanta), groceries, laundry, restaurants, movie theaters, utilities, basically any service is MUCH less expensive in Atlanta. And by saving literally thousands of dollars on housing, you can afford to go to the theater (which I did growing up in Atlanta), visit museums, chill in lounges, and eat at great restaurants. Unfortunately, and of course this may not be your experience once you start working, but I have met many professionals who need more than one job to make ends meet in NYC, and because they are so busy working don't get to enjoy the lifestyle appropriate for their income.

On the other hand in New York, it is harder to see Black people in Manhattan, the prime area where you're going to find most of the cultural activity and nightlife. Mostly because they tend to priced out. In fact, people can be downright discriminatory. For instance, I attempted to go to this nice bar in midtown last summer, and for the first time ever, I experienced a club that coincidentally did not let black people in, including myself and a friend, both Columbia grad students, well dressed, and attractive. I was appalled because I would NEVER see that type of thing in Atlanta. We aren't the exception in Atlanta, we are the norm and would be respected as such.

Thank you Bizchick for your feedback from your experience in the NYC and your native ATL.

I will need to visit ATL, I haven't yet.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 51,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreda30238 View Post
I would DEFINITELY have to agree with you...the job market in ATL (as like anywhere else) is way too competitive....go where the job takes you!

I agree Jeff to go where the job opportunity is. But I am factoring in the cost of living and quality of life.

Thank you for replying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta