Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,260,594 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about this area? It seems like the closer to PIB, the scuzzier the apartments look, and I was driving around the area today, and it seems like it would be a traffic nightmare to get to PIB to 285. How bad is the traffic up there?

Also, while I'm not ruling out apartments, I wouldn't mind renting out a home or a condo in the area. Are the neighborhoods nice?

Also, since I work in Clarkston, what is the ideal commute time to say, Memorial Drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,839,431 times
Is there a particular reason you're interested in Peachtree Corners? There are nice areas that are easier/closer commutes to Clarkston...Tucker, Avondale Estates, Decatur, etc. I don't really know much about Peachtree Corners, but it seems like an unnecessary commute unless you have some specific reason for choosing that area.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Peachtree Corners is one of many areas that I'm considering. I am still in school as well, so I need somewhere that is relatively between the two locations.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,522,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Anyone know anything about this area? It seems like the closer to PIB, the scuzzier the apartments look, and I was driving around the area today, and it seems like it would be a traffic nightmare to get to PIB to 285. How bad is the traffic up there?

Also, while I'm not ruling out apartments, I wouldn't mind renting out a home or a condo in the area. Are the neighborhoods nice?

Also, since I work in Clarkston, what is the ideal commute time to say, Memorial Drive?
I'm not certain I understand your question--'what is the ideal commute time to Memorial Drive?' From Peachtree Corners I suspect it would be 30-45 minutes--you could cut across at several points from PIB to Buford Hwy --perhaps at Pleasantdale/Chamblee Tucker and use surface streets to Clarkston/Memorial Drive?--I think such a commute would still involve 30-45 minutes and I285 might move more quickly--maybe someone will offer FYI.

You are correct in your assessment of apartments around PIB/Peachtree Corners. There have been a few threads on this--and I know someone suggested looking for apartments, houses, townhomes along Spalding Drive. There are a number of apartments/condos/townhomes and I suppose single family homes along Holcomb Bridge Rd. --at the moment the street that intersects HB escapes me--it could be Medlock Bridge Rd, but maybe not?

I found a small complex with townhomes on Langford Rd--I think Medlock Bridge Rd forks and Langford Rd goes into Norcross --the left fork, IIRC. There were several units for rent and it was surrounded by subdivisions which appeared to be stable. You might find other properties like this in historic Norcross.

From Tilly Mill Rd/Doraville to Spalding Drive I think the apartments are too much of a risk. I know that there have been some problems around Medlock Bridge Rd---Jimmy Carter Blvd isn't far from this area and the incidents are ongoing.

The elementary school for Peachtree Corners is Simpson and it is located on the road to the Chattahoochee River park/recreation area. I think this is Jones Bridge Rd. There are some very nice homes in this area and around the library on Spalding Drive. Spalding Drive, IIRC, converges with several other streets if you are traveling North towards Dunwoody and this is one of the better communities in Atlanta.

I'm not certain what your criteria are but you might find the area around N. Druid Hills/Clairmont/Briarcliff more convenient for commuting to Clarkston/Memorial Drive. Tucker would certainly be an even easier commute--LaVista Rd/Chamblee Tucker/Henderson Mill Rd.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it, the North Druid Hills/Clairmont/Briarcliff area is attractive to me too. I'm going to check out the Tucker area some more when I have the time. When I was driving over to Peachtree Corners, I was realizing the commute would be a bear up that way, not so much on 285 itself, but on the streets getting to PIB. It's just one of the many areas that I'm considering, and the one that I know the least about.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 PM

878 posts, read 2,742,481 times
While commute would be reasonable, safety would not...stay away.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,522,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it, the North Druid Hills/Clairmont/Briarcliff area is attractive to me too. I'm going to check out the Tucker area some more when I have the time. When I was driving over to Peachtree Corners, I was realizing the commute would be a bear up that way, not so much on 285 itself, but on the streets getting to PIB. It's just one of the many areas that I'm considering, and the one that I know the least about.
You said you wanted to be between school and work--if you attend school north of PIB this would seem to be a good compromise but if you have other options I would research those areas first.

I can vouch for the safety/stability of the Executive Park/Toco Hill area and it is very convenient to downtown, Decatur and Buckhead. You would have a reverse commute on N. Druid Hills in the AM to Memorial Drive/Clarkston. Bearable--30-45 minutes with numerous stops --school zones and traffic lights but a breeze compared to many commutes. There are many options along LaVista Rd that would put you even closer. LOL--this is ITP. Can't beat it with a stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta