Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 26,004 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone: I have been following these boards regularly for the last year or so, and I finally decided to join. I am a single professional mom (dual degrees in Nursing and Social Work), with two boys—a 7th grader and a 1st grader. I have lived in South Florida since I was a child and both my children were born and raised here. I have been looking to leave the area and have been looking long and hard for a town that would be a good fit for us. Our requirements: A family environment close to a metropolitan city (we are very active), lots of opportunities for outdoor activities (hiking, biking), fairly progressive, with a fairly well-educated population, and last but most important on our list: Great schools. Specifically, I am looking for a place with a strong International Baccalaureate Program in Middle and High School, as my oldest has been attending the Middle Years program and has done very well. I have been looking at Peachtree Corners, as they seem to have all that we are looking for. The schools are: Simpson Elementary, Pinckneyville Middle, and Norcross High. Is anyone familiar with the area and the neighborhoods? We would be looking to rent until we are acclimated and more familiar with the area, but would be looking for a single family home in a quiet and safe neighborhood, preferably close to the schools. This is a huge leap of faith for us, but I truly feel that the time has come to seek a better environment for my boys. My extended family is willing to relocate as well—eventually. So we are truly hoping to find a friendly environment where we can meet lots of great friends. I would love to hear from anyone familiar with the area/schools and who can offer some guidance. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOfFaith11 View Post
Hello, Everyone: I have been following these boards regularly for the last year or so, and I finally decided to join. I am a single professional mom (dual degrees in Nursing and Social Work), with two boys—a 7th grader and a 1st grader. I have lived in South Florida since I was a child and both my children were born and raised here. I have been looking to leave the area and have been looking long and hard for a town that would be a good fit for us. Our requirements: A family environment close to a metropolitan city (we are very active), lots of opportunities for outdoor activities (hiking, biking), fairly progressive, with a fairly well-educated population, and last but most important on our list: Great schools. Specifically, I am looking for a place with a strong International Baccalaureate Program in Middle and High School, as my oldest has been attending the Middle Years program and has done very well. I have been looking at Peachtree Corners, as they seem to have all that we are looking for. The schools are: Simpson Elementary, Pinckneyville Middle, and Norcross High. Is anyone familiar with the area and the neighborhoods? We would be looking to rent until we are acclimated and more familiar with the area, but would be looking for a single family home in a quiet and safe neighborhood, preferably close to the schools. This is a huge leap of faith for us, but I truly feel that the time has come to seek a better environment for my boys. My extended family is willing to relocate as well—eventually. So we are truly hoping to find a friendly environment where we can meet lots of great friends. I would love to hear from anyone familiar with the area/schools and who can offer some guidance. Thank you!
It's an overall great area, with everything you are seeking. Very handy to the city, in a largely pleasant (yet busy) area of the metro.

I have personally only heard positives re: the schools you mentioned, but I'll defer to someone more knowledgable on the specifics. The closest hospitals would probably be a 30-40 minute commute from that area.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Yeah, I spent half my childhood in Peachtree Corners and went to Simpson. It was a good place to grow up. But to answer your questions:

Schools are good. Simpson is considered best in the county. Pinckneyville and Norcross are good but you need to be comfortable with diversity with those two schools.

Swim and tennis facilities in most of the neighborhoods is one of the reasons it’s so popular with families, and that so many subdivisions have them gives it an edge over nearby suburbs built around the same time. The pools are also a good way to meet other families.

There are sidewalks on all the roads, and they connect to the main recreational facility, Jones Bridge Park, next to Simpson. It’s located on the Chattahoochee River.

If by “progressive” you mean liberal, then no, it’s not progressive, and in fact is very conservative. Many residents are evangelical Christians. If a liberal suburb is a must, Atlanta isn’t the place for you.

I don’t know of many affluent suburbs that are home to uneducated people. Affluent and well-educated population go hand in hand.

Its very convenient to Atlanta’s major hospitals. Commute would be about 20-25 minutes in rush hour to Northside Hospital.

Itd be tough to recommend a specific neighborhood. I lived in Neely Farm, and they don't make them like that neighborhood any more - sidewalks, one entrance, a residents-only river park, Olympic swimming pool, historic clubhouse, annual pig roast, hay ride. Only problem is its not in the Simpson district.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:14 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
I have not lived in Peachtree Corners area myself, but I know the elementary school (Simpson) is very strong from friends who have kids in the schools. For the middle and high school, I have heard mixed reviews, I guess it depends on what you are looking for with your children. You can research schools' details here on Great Schools' website if you have not already.

You mention strong middle schools and outdoor things to do. You have this in Peachtree Corners, but if you look a bit west towards Roswell (North Fulton) you may find similar amenities to your liking. Roswell boasts of lots of parks and outdoor activities to do as well. Most of the public schools in the area are strong, too.

Suburbs in metro Atlanta tend to be on the conservative side when you view life in a political lense. I think renting is a good thing to do when you are new to an area, as you may find another area better to your likening after you have been in Atlanta. Overall, I would find Peachtree Corners a very appealing area to live in.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Norcross High's IB programme is one of the oldest public IB programs in the state and it is very impressive. Norcross High really seems to have its act together.

Good choices.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Thank you so much for all the great information, everyone. It is so helpful to hear all the great feedback!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The closest hospitals would probably be a 30-40 minute commute from that area.
Or less.

Gwinnett Medical Center

Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOfFaith11 View Post

ohmygodilovepeachtreecorners...

Anyway, Peachtree Corners is a great choice with excellent schools.

Go with it.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I agree with everyone; great choice. But you didn't mention a budget for rental, and the major question is what the rental market is like in that particular school zone. If you can give a budget, maybe people could guide you a little more specifically.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:16 PM

CMMom, that is a good point. I would like to stay around the $1500 mark, give or take a few hundred. I would like at least a 3/2, although I would prefer a four bedroom to accommodate visiting family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta