Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM

20 posts, read 38,027 times

Advertisements

Hey. My guy is content here in Lawrenceville. I am not. I am an artist that needs connection to city life. I am bored with the suburbs. So are my dogs (a Chow Chow and Siberian Husky). My fiance is currently a firefighter in Dekalb county located 10 minutes away from Little Five Points, which I like. Whenever he is working me and my dogs head out to Piedmont Dog Park. When we walk by the homes along the park, my dogs want to go up to the doors of each house and walk along the streets. I don't blame them. I feel the same way. I love the park and coffee shops. I would like to move closer to his work and be in the city. He is reluctant. He likes the quiet and the space of the suburbs. I want city life. Where should we buy a next house in? Our dogs need a yard. My guy wants quiet. I want excitement and artsy stuff. But we are just starting out so we need a price range of 150,000-200,000. We don't mind fixer uppers. I was looking to relocate out of state, but my guy wants me to give Georgia one more shot. So I am. Help us find a place suited to both of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Check out the mid-century neighborhoods around North DeKalb Mall. In particular, the area around Shamrock Middle School.

Also check the neighborhoods on the East side of McLendon, South of Lawrenceville Hwy. down to the Stone Mountain Freeway bridge.

There are also similar neighborhoods in Chamblee, on the West side of Peachtree Industrial.

Check out Drew Valley in the wedge between Clairmont, Dresden & Buford Hwy.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM

20 posts, read 38,027 times
These are fun places to be? This is my problem so far with Lawrenceville. I feel like everyone has settled into this family thing where they do nothing. They don't go out anywhere fun. The only coffeeshop by me is Starbucks (which I hate) I need originality. No starbucks. I want independent coffee shops or at least something that isn't starbucks. I need life and fun. I plan to be active even when I have kids. I want to expose them to fun and culture. I feel like Lawrenceville isn't my place. It's like a retirement home. I like Athens, but it's too far. I like little 5 points but it's like a block long. Buckhead seems like flavored water, not the fruit juice I want. It seems phony in trying to be artsy and fun. It's like a poser. But my guy doesn't want to live near the ghetto or anywhere dangerous. I dont either but I feel like Rome is civilization. I want to live in Rome, I don't want to live outside Rome. Get my metaphor? I want Rome. The suburbs don't agree with me. The city doesn't agree with him. So I need a suburb in the city. See the problem?

Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
The suggestions I made were taking your budget into consideration.

What you are seeking exists here in several places. BUT, your stated budget is not anywhere close to what you need to be within walking distance of all that you desire.

One more suggestion: The neighborhoods due north of the center of Avondale Estates.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
Try the West End. Them yuppies are still afraid to go there and live. Up around Marietta Street is the place to be.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM

81 posts, read 266,332 times
[quote=nikgrr12;7567318] They don't go out anywhere fun. The only coffeeshop by me is Starbucks (which I hate) I need originality. No starbucks. I want independent coffee shops or at least something that isn't starbucks.

Downtown Lawrenceville is a far cry from Little Five Points, but it is an area which is being beautifully refurbished. Here you will find independant shops and restaurants, and quite a lot of antique shops. It's a nice place to walk around and window shop. Also, the downtown area also has the Aurora Theater, which is a fun place to go for a live show. Again, I don't think we could actually label the shows at the Aurora as "cultured", but they are fun to get out and go to.

I guess what I like about downtown Lawrenceville is the way that all of the old houses were preserved and are now businesses.

A few miles down Sugarloaf is the Gwinnett Arena, where concerts, etc are common.

Still, I do get what you're saying about missing the city life. My advice is to have another talk with your guy. If you cannot find a place in which both of you are happy, then at least find a place in which both of you are content. If you stay someplace where you are not happy in order to give it "another go", things have a way of turning permanent before you know it or gave your true consent. Now is the time to decide what you want and make it happen.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
In the "fun, artsy" intown neighborhoods I'm afraid your budget is likely to only buy you a 1 bedroom condo -- maybe a 2 bedroom condo in a few places -- with no yard (maybe a balcony). If y'all are just "giving Georgia another shot" I'd recommend you rent rather than buying. You'll have an easier time finding something that suits you and you won't be tied into a long term investment.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta