Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM

9 posts, read 17,503 times

Advertisements

Okay, so back to the drawing board, the original position was in Duluth. Now, I have discovered the office that I work from will be in Lawrenceville, GA. What are good places to live and raise children (elementary and middle) with a good family vibe? I do not want to commute more than 30 minutes each way. Good schools are non negotiable. My monthly budget for housing is $1200.00. I prefer to rent a house over an apartment, but I will rent an apartment if I have to. Please help. By the way, the job starts Monday. I can do hotels for 2-3 weeks, but the sooner I find a place the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,529,543 times
Duluth and Lawrenceville are right next to each other so no change of plans should be necessary.

I believe the Collins Hill High school area in Lawrenceville is still pretty solid.

http://www.zillow.com/gwinnett-count...school-102490/

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-22-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,964,692 times
Grayson school district or Brookwood. Those are the links to the cluster zone maps to make sure the area you are looking at is in the district. I don't think there are any apartments in the Brookwood cluster but I believe Grayson has some. The north part of the Brookwood cluster (which is where I grew up) feeds to Crews Middle. Both ES that feed are very good and near equal. The other MS (Five Forks) isn't quite as good but still very good. If you want good schools in Gwinnett Brookwood is your best bet. When I graduated a few years ago the SAT scores there were highest in the county.

I admit I can't help you with finances of renting a house. I know people who have rented houses in the district but I don't know for how much. There are some expensive newer homes but also older ones that should be cheaper. I don't know where in Lville your job is but Lville is the county seat and largest in the county. A large area is considered Lawrenceville but the north parts of those districts shouldn't be bad at all regardless.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,693,689 times
Lawrenceville area Cluster Schools

Collins Hill - Good
Brookwood - Good
Archer - Good
Mountain View - Good
Mill Creek - Good
Dacula - Good
Peachtree Ridge - Good
NorthGwinnett - Best
Grayson - Good
Gwinnett County School of Mathetmatics and Science (HS) Better than all. Top 10 in the nation

Berkmar - Not so good
Central Gwinnett: Not Good

Old 08-23-2013, 03:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,690,588 times
School has started here. Are you bringing your kids with you as you start this job on Monday? Or will they follow later?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,830,168 times
Suwanee would be a good choice. Your budget will limit you, but you can rent a house within your budget. There's a new apt complex in Suwanee if you cannot find a house.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2565-Suwanee-Lakes-Trl_Suwanee_GA_30024_M69736-37152?row=7

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Georgia/Suwanee/Terrace-at-Suwanee-Gateway/187369/

Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Grayson school district or Brookwood. Those are the links to the cluster zone maps to make sure the area you are looking at is in the district. I don't think there are any apartments in the Brookwood cluster but I believe Grayson has some. The north part of the Brookwood cluster (which is where I grew up) feeds to Crews Middle. Both ES that feed are very good and near equal. The other MS (Five Forks) isn't quite as good but still very good. If you want good schools in Gwinnett Brookwood is your best bet. When I graduated a few years ago the SAT scores there were highest in the county.

I admit I can't help you with finances of renting a house. I know people who have rented houses in the district but I don't know for how much. There are some expensive newer homes but also older ones that should be cheaper. I don't know where in Lville your job is but Lville is the county seat and largest in the county. A large area is considered Lawrenceville but the north parts of those districts shouldn't be bad at all regardless.

Thanks the job is located in the 5000 block of Sugarloaf Parkway in Lawrenceville. I know nothing about the area and that is why I am asking for help. Different forums have told me good things about Brookwood, but also that there may be some underlying currents of racism towards my African American sons. Did you notice much racism when you attended Brookwood or were people fair for the most part based upon the behavior and effort of the students?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
School has started here. Are you bringing your kids with you as you start this job on Monday? Or will they follow later?

They will follow later. I need to find a place to live first and choose a school. Yes, school has started here too, and they are enrolled and will stay here in MS with my parents until I am settled. I will transfer them no later than October.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all of your help

Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,816,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmom2 View Post
Thanks the job is located in the 5000 block of Sugarloaf Parkway in Lawrenceville. I know nothing about the area and that is why I am asking for help. Different forums have told me good things about Brookwood, but also that there may be some underlying currents of racism towards my African American sons. Did you notice much racism when you attended Brookwood or were people fair for the most part based upon the behavior and effort of the students?
That will be really close to GA 316 (a state freeway) & Sugarloaf pkwy.

Consider the school districts of:

Peachtree Ridge
Collins Hill
Brookwood - I'd highly recommend Brookwood. It is a top feeder school to UGA and GT.

these are fairly accessible areas to that location and also allow you to use back roads to get there.

Other immediatly accessible areas I wouldn't consider:

Berkmar
Central Gwinnett

In many respects they are good schools...but they are just chalk full with apartments.

20% of Brookwood' student population is black. I'd doubt overt racism would ever be a problem, but there is always a chance there will be a few situations where they will encounter stereotypes from other students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta