Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Apprehensive about moving from suburban Ney York to Atlanta area, need opinions from New York transplants on living in Atlanta, elementary schools, safety, better lifestyle than New York area

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 PM

51 posts, read 207,683 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Hubby and I checked out Atlanta last year, but I chickened out. He is still bugging me to go. We are in suburban NY now. I don't necessarily love the burbs here, but I love Manhattan, and go often.
Anyhow, he is ready for a better priced, easier lifestyle. We have a young child.
I chickened out because I toured an elementary school in Alpharetta, and although it seemed nice, there were trailers and I was told crowding was a problem. I got varying degrees of satisfaction from people I spoke to who were transplants: some said the school were good, some said not good compared to the north.
My other reasons for chickening out was that I think Atlanta (the city) is dirty and awful. I like to get out of suburbia often enough and just didn't think Atlanta had much to offer, and I also felt it was a little too "churchy."
Can anyone who is a transplant, and I know that is probably everyone, give me a honest opinion. Is life really better down there for you and the kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:44 AM

88 posts, read 491,573 times
Good subject. I cannot wait to read the answers as I will become a transplant myself in the coming months.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,097,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamel View Post
Hi All,
Hubby and I checked out Atlanta last year, but I chickened out. He is still bugging me to go. We are in suburban NY now. I don't necessarily love the burbs here, but I love Manhattan ...

I think Atlanta (the city) is dirty and awful... just didn't think Atlanta had much to offer, and I also felt it was a little too "churchy."

Can anyone who is a transplant, and I know that is probably everyone, give me a honest opinion.
Lisa, my honest opinion is that you would not adjust well to the move and would be miserable here -- not because Atlanta isn't a great place to live and work (I think it is), but because you have already made up your mind that it isn't.

Our city and even suburbs are bursting at the seams with poorly-managed growth, as evidenced by so many schools with classrooms in trailers. No point pretending otherwise.

Obviously, I don't sell or invest in real estate.

Look, we are not here to convince people that a place they have already judged to be "dirty and awful" and "a little too churchy" will become paradise if they just buy a big, affordable house with some land. Some adapt; some never do.

I wish you luck convincing your husband to abandon his hopes for Atlanta. He might love it here, but would probably have a miserable wife for a very long time after that move. Peace and contentment within the family unit are worth more than many extra dollars in the pocket.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:50 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,669,243 times
Lisa

First off, with almost no exception on the northern side of Atlanta, the most highly rated schools are overcrowded... but kids seem to survive trailers and many teachers prefer them... they get to control their own heating/air and noise levels, etc.

We do have out of control growth, it seems and that certainly doesn't help.

The school thing is complicated -- often people move here for the lower cost of living and don't factor in (as I mentioned in other posts) that part of the difference is that the property taxes are so much lower because we spend so much less per student in our public schools. So, sometimes they come with fine dining tastes and our schools are only casual dining.

I am guessing that you are able to use public transportation to go into NYC... here that isn't the case. For the most part, if you live in Alpharetta or Roswell or Marietta or Fayetteville or etc etc, that is where you live. You may work somewhere else, but most of your activities are centered where you are. A night at the theatre is certainly possible, but most of your shopping will be at North Point Mall or Perimter or another mall, there is no shopping area in downtown Atlanta.

There is no real reason to venture into town very often, unless you are inclined to take advantage of some of the cultural programs. We live in Dunwoody, probably 20 minutes closer to town than Alpharetta. While my family makes it a priority to go to theatre, symphony and ballet performaces as well as the museum, we are the exception, not the rule. Part of it is certainly expense, the other part is time, kids keep families very busy here and the other is desire. Most communities have local theatre groups and the symphony occassionally travels.

Atlanta is not NYC -- not even close.

Also, has been advised to others, the job market in Atlanta is not as strong as some people may believe. Jobs often pay less here. So make sure you have your ducks in a row before moving here. I think people sometimes forget that what generally comes along with a lower cost of living is lower salaries.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 PM

88 posts, read 511,890 times
Not sure what part you saw that was so "dirty and awful" but I'm sure NYC has some "dirty and awful" parts as well. Moving with that type of perspective would definitely put a damper on your transition into the area. Schools are big and yes there are trailers but I actually think parents are the ones with the big issues about it. Both of my kids are very happy here (we've been here for 1 1/2 years) and they are both doing very well in school. Cost of living is not as low as some people realize. Property taxes are generally lower but believe me, the government makes sure they get there money. You are taxed in other ways, probably not as much as NYC though.

Not worth moving if you know you'll be miserable.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,715 times
Lisa--There really are several Atlantas, and it sounds like you might be happier living intown, if you do come here. You don't get nearly as much house for the money as you would in the suburbs, and you have to look harder for decent public schools (but they exist). The tradeoff is that you'll get a much better perspective of the MANY cultural opportunities that exist here, and you won't be fighting traffic so you'll actually use them all the time.
I came down from suburban New York (Larchmont) and being an intowner, I go to cool restaurants, theater and museums with regularity---they're all 10-15 minutes away. In addition, the religious thing is greatly downplayed---in over a decade of living here, no one has asked me what church I attend or if I attend theirs, and a variety of religions (including the NY Times reading on Sunday) are widely assumed. And I don't know about "dirty" ---atlanta residential neighborhoods tend to be leafy and gorgeous.

There are things about the suburbs here I'd like for my kids---I'm certainly not judging them. It just sounds like you need to see if you like the "urban tradeoff" before you write off this terrific city...

Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 AM

25 posts, read 109,538 times
The others are surely right. It seems that you have made up your mind already. I don't mean that as an insult, its just hard to like a place if you are determined to do otherwise. The city does have some terrible parts, but in the end I still love it. I can't really give you the best of advice, I have always lived here, but all the advice in the world wont help if you have already decided that this is not the place for you. The whole church thing might be hard to avoid. With that being said there are a few communities of Jewish people in the city.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM

88 posts, read 491,573 times
Default You are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Lisa, my honest opinion is that you would not adjust well to the move and would be miserable here -- not because Atlanta isn't a great place to live and work (I think it is), but because you have already made up your mind that it isn't.

Our city and even suburbs are bursting at the seams with poorly-managed growth, as evidenced by so many schools with classrooms in trailers. No point pretending otherwise.

Obviously, I don't sell or invest in real estate.

Look, we are not here to convince people that a place they have already judged to be "dirty and awful" and "a little too churchy" will become paradise if they just buy a big, affordable house with some land. Some adapt; some never do.

I wish you luck convincing your husband to abandon his hopes for Atlanta. He might love it here, but would probably have a miserable wife for a very long time after that move. Peace and contentment within the family unit are worth more than many extra dollars in the pocket.

I don't mean to be insulting either, but I think that if you have made up your mind, then maybe Atlanta is not for you. It is better as one said, to be happy within the family than be miserable after a move that was not wanted in the first place

Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,404 times
I agree with what the other members said. If you truly feel that you could never be happy in Atlanta, you shouldn't move here. It could put a lot of stress on your marriage and your kids. However, there are some times when you need to put your family before yourself and do what's best for them, despite whether or not yor may like it. Life isn't always fair, and it definately isn't pefect or what we always hope it to be. About the church-y thing, I really don't see that here. People may ask you the question, but please don't take it to heart. They are probably just trying to be nice and friendly; actually trying taking an interest in you and your life. Oh, and trying out "church" may not be as bad as your think. You may find what you're looking for and as a result get a peace in your heart about this whole situation. I would try to avoid mega-churches, however, as the people in them can tend to be proud and ungenuine. Most importantly, have faith in God, he has a plan for you and your life. And He truly does love you. He is the peace you are looking for. I hope everything works out for the best!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM

82 posts, read 335,728 times
Holy thread revival Batman! According to her recent posts, the original poster seems to be looking in the north (CT) for a less "snobby" place than Long Island.

FWIW to anybody else who is searching posts like I have been, Alpharetta is a nice town and Atlanta as a whole certainly seems cleaner to me than L.A. (my hometown) and N.Y.C. I have a sibling who grew up in L.A. (a high-income suberb) and has since lived in Nashville, Miami and now Alpharetta. She likes it so much and has been encouraging my family and I to move out there as well. My home is sold, money is in CDs and am renting a house until I join the ranks of transplants in your fine city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta