Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,531,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Midtown. In a high-rise condo/penthouse. Would walk to grocery (Publix), gym (LA Fitness, other Athletic Clubs), and MARTA. It would be oh-so-wonderful.
Lol...Id have to agree with most of this post, but not Midtown, Id want to live in one of the Peachtree Center Hotels and work for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 PM

550 posts, read 1,644,033 times
For anyone to really give you a decent answer to your question, you really need to give us more information regarding your likes and dislikes, your preferances, and perhaps even your prejudices [insofar as you can do so and remain politically correct :-), anyone who says he/she doesn't have a prejudice bone in their body is a liar!]...

For example... some people find gated communities of McMansions in the suburbs to be ideal, while others wouldn't live in a gated community if you paid them!

Personally... I prefer an Intown/City Environment - especially for raising my kids. I do not want my children to grow up either racially or economically isolated. I want to live in close proximity to the rail lines and infuse my children with an appreciation for the environmentally-friendly nature of public transportation. I love the historical architecture of intown neighborhoods. I HATE [with a passion] cookie-cutter suburban areas with McMansions and garage-forward tract housing!

I would want to live in an area with access to better-than-average public schools, but I do not want to be in too exclusive of an area... if i were moving to California, and money was no object - you would still never find me living in the 90210 zip code !

That being said... I would chose to move to either the Candler Park and Grant Park areas of Atlanta.... but Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Druid Hills, the City of Decatur... these are all areas I would also consider. I wouldn't want to live in Buckhead.

Even if money was not an issue, I do not believe in sending my kids to private schools - I want to support the public school system... [but if my kids had special needs I would consider private school... in fact my oldest went to a private school for 7th and 8th grades because it was what she needed at that time.]

In Atlanta I would target neighborhoods which feed into Grady High School... it is diverse and has some excellent magnet programs.

But that's based on my preferences and prejudices... truthfully, I would only make the concession for the more "upscale" neighborhoods for the sake of better-ranking schools... and I like the fact Grady High School is one of the few racially-diverse schools in Atlanta.

Personally i prefer areas which are more transitional - East Lake, Kirkwood, Westview, West End... perhaps even a downtown loft... I actually lived in a loft dwtn Atlanta on Mitchell Street in the early '90s - prior to getting married and having kids.

Since money IS an issue with us, my husband and I are looking at the neighborhoods I listed in the last paragraph... our kids are bi-racial so sending them to a 99% black school is a concern, but perhaps less so since they are at least 1/2 black and also because they are all in gifted and talented tracks and will be in honors programs and AP classes at whatever school they attend.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Atlanta for quite some time now, my husband and I will be going down there next month to get a feel for the neighborhoods all over again... but we did previously live in Atlanta, and we still have friends and family in Atlanta, so this is based on what we are gathering in our own ongoing research of Atlanta... I have a good friend who sends her son to Grady, where her husband also attended, and she speaks highly of Grady. She herself attended private schools growing up in Atlanta, and most certainly could send her son to private schools as well, but she feels he is getting a better education at Grady High School than he would get at a private school.... education is not always all about academics, but also about life experiences...

My main point in making this post is to suggest you need to be WAY more specific if you expect anyone here to give you an answer suited for your family and your values and your lifestyle. . . otherwise our answers will be as diverse as we are!

Best wishes! :-)

Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,531,170 times
I think it was just a random question to see what would be consistent.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,422,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
You dog! LOL.

lol nah im single but im also from the hood so i've seen first hand what happens when you have money and show females where you rest your head

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM

23,631 posts, read 44,402,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
For anyone to really give you a decent answer to your question, you really need to give us more information regarding your likes and dislikes, your preferances, and perhaps even your prejudices [insofar as you can do so and remain politically correct :-), anyone who says he/she doesn't have a prejudice bone in their body is a liar!]...

For example... some people find gated communities of McMansions in the suburbs to be ideal, while others wouldn't live in a gated community if you paid them!

Personally... I prefer an Intown/City Environment - especially for raising my kids. I do not want my children to grow up either racially or economically isolated. I want to live in close proximity to the rail lines and infuse my children with an appreciation for the environmentally-friendly nature of public transportation. I love the historical architecture of intown neighborhoods. I HATE [with a passion] cookie-cutter suburban areas with McMansions and garage-forward tract housing!

I would want to live in an area with access to better-than-average public schools, but I do not want to be in too exclusive of an area... if i were moving to California, and money was no object - you would still never find me living in the 90210 zip code !

That being said... I would chose to move to either the Candler Park and Grant Park areas of Atlanta.... but Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Druid Hills, the City of Decatur... these are all areas I would also consider. I wouldn't want to live in Buckhead.

Even if money was not an issue, I do not believe in sending my kids to private schools - I want to support the public school system... [but if my kids had special needs I would consider private school... in fact my oldest went to a private school for 7th and 8th grades because it was what she needed at that time.]

In Atlanta I would target neighborhoods which feed into Grady High School... it is diverse and has some excellent magnet programs.

But that's based on my preferences and prejudices... truthfully, I would only make the concession for the more "upscale" neighborhoods for the sake of better-ranking schools... and I like the fact Grady High School is one of the few racially-diverse schools in Atlanta.

Personally i prefer areas which are more transitional - East Lake, Kirkwood, Westview, West End... perhaps even a downtown loft... I actually lived in a loft dwtn Atlanta on Mitchell Street in the early '90s - prior to getting married and having kids.

Since money IS an issue with us, my husband and I are looking at the neighborhoods I listed in the last paragraph... our kids are bi-racial so sending them to a 99% black school is a concern, but perhaps less so since they are at least 1/2 black and also because they are all in gifted and talented tracks and will be in honors programs and AP classes at whatever school they attend.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Atlanta for quite some time now, my husband and I will be going down there next month to get a feel for the neighborhoods all over again... but we did previously live in Atlanta, and we still have friends and family in Atlanta, so this is based on what we are gathering in our own ongoing research of Atlanta... I have a good friend who sends her son to Grady, where her husband also attended, and she speaks highly of Grady. She herself attended private schools growing up in Atlanta, and most certainly could send her son to private schools as well, but she feels he is getting a better education at Grady High School than he would get at a private school.... education is not always all about academics, but also about life experiences...

My main point in making this post is to suggest you need to be WAY more specific if you expect anyone here to give you an answer suited for your family and your values and your lifestyle. . . otherwise our answers will be as diverse as we are!

Best wishes! :-)
Solipsistic much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta