Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 AM

4 posts, read 14,253 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

I recently got accepted into Emory University for grad school. I'm really considering going there, only problem is- I'm concerned about the walkability factor. Is it necessary to have a car to get around in the area?

I won't be brining a car because I am no longer able to drive. I was recently diagnosed with a severe case of keratoconus in both eyes. It basically means I'm a blind bat and its better I stay off the roads. and so walking or public transportation is a better method for me to get around. Is it possible to get around by foot? Is it pedestrian friendly? Or can I pretty much say "cya later Emory" ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~two468
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Will you be working a separate job or working as a TA, etc, on campus?

I work at CDC, which is adjacent to Emory, and live 3.5 miles from work. I walk to work quite a bit. If you live south of Briarcliff Rd you should be able to walk to campus. There are some older apartments on N Decatur Rd right next to a little commercialized area known as Emory Village. A lot of students seem to live there and all you have to do is negotiate N Decatur Rd, and there are cross walks.

Also, there are streets to the east of campus - Oxford, Harvard, etc - that seem to have houses or apartments in houses for rent. These streets are quiet residential streets with sidewalks. They border the campus and you wouldn't have any big roads to worry about.

The main reason I caution to stay away from Briarcliff is that is a major artery coming into the Clifton Corridor and while there are sidewalks there are also a lot of impatient people from the suburbs coming to work and are sick and tired of being in their car by that point.

Also, on Houston Mill Rd is a condo complex where rentals are available. This is along the northeast border (I think). A lot of students live there, too, and they are just about on top of campus.

Lastly, along N Decatur Rd, north of Clifton Rd, you can find rental houses.

All these places have sidewalks. So, stick close to campus and away from Briarcliff Rd and you should be able to find suitable housing with lots of walkability.

Welcome to Emory - it's a wonderful school!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I would think that if your primary focus is the Emory area then you should be fine. I do think a phone call to Emory to inquire about services for disabled students is in order...

If you are going to need to work, and have a specific kind of job in mind, this is where things might get tricky. MARTA, which serves DeKalb and Fulton counties, including where Emory is, is generally very time consuming to use as your primary transportation, unless you get lucky and find direct routes. If you are going to work just for income, you most certainly should be able to find something in the Emory area.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 AM

Thank you so much Plessthanpointohfive!!!!!

That was really helpful! I was getting worried about what to do. I got accepted into Boston Uni, and I thought about going to Boston only because the city has a great walkability factor-- but Emory has a far better Public Health program and just beats it overall.

I am hoping to secure a TA/ RA position- hopefully. If not, some kind of on campus job. But yeah! your help was fantastic. I cant say it enough, a million times over- I thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Will you be working a separate job or working as a TA, etc, on campus?

I work at CDC, which is adjacent to Emory, and live 3.5 miles from work. I walk to work quite a bit. If you live south of Briarcliff Rd you should be able to walk to campus. There are some older apartments on N Decatur Rd right next to a little commercialized area known as Emory Village. A lot of students seem to live there and all you have to do is negotiate N Decatur Rd, and there are cross walks.

Also, there are streets to the east of campus - Oxford, Harvard, etc - that seem to have houses or apartments in houses for rent. These streets are quiet residential streets with sidewalks. They border the campus and you wouldn't have any big roads to worry about.

The main reason I caution to stay away from Briarcliff is that is a major artery coming into the Clifton Corridor and while there are sidewalks there are also a lot of impatient people from the suburbs coming to work and are sick and tired of being in their car by that point.

Also, on Houston Mill Rd is a condo complex where rentals are available. This is along the northeast border (I think). A lot of students live there, too, and they are just about on top of campus.

Lastly, along N Decatur Rd, north of Clifton Rd, you can find rental houses.

All these places have sidewalks. So, stick close to campus and away from Briarcliff Rd and you should be able to find suitable housing with lots of walkability.

Welcome to Emory - it's a wonderful school!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 AM

Thanks lastmin.mom.

My primary focus is Emory and if im fortunate getting an internship at the Carter Center or the CDC. Thank you very much for the advice and help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I would think that if your primary focus is the Emory area then you should be fine. I do think a phone call to Emory to inquire about services for disabled students is in order...

If you are going to need to work, and have a specific kind of job in mind, this is where things might get tricky. MARTA, which serves DeKalb and Fulton counties, including where Emory is, is generally very time consuming to use as your primary transportation, unless you get lucky and find direct routes. If you are going to work just for income, you most certainly should be able to find something in the Emory area.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:48 AM

Ah, so you're going to Rollins? I worked there for a couple of years in the biostat department.

If that's the case then I'd say stay in those apartments off Houston Mill. They're almost across the street from Rollins.

Also, get an internship at CDC over working at Carter Center. CDC's campus is, as I mentioned, next door to Emory and it's next door to Rollins. The ony thing between CDC's main campus and the Rollins School is a small part of Houston Mill Rd and the School of Nursing.

You couldn't ask for a better setup if you live in those apartments/condos off Houston Mill, go to school at Emory, and intern at CDC.

Emory has a weekend shuttle that will take student to the Toco Hills Shopping center (check on this but I am pretty sure this is true) where there is a Kroger and a Publix, as well as plenty other merchants.

If you don't mind a little bit of a hike you can get to a Kroger that is in a shopping center at the corner of Briarcliff and Clifton Rds. There are sidewalks up Clifton so you can walk there. It would probably be almost a mile from Rollins but if you're used to walking it's not a problem.

You're right - Emory has a really great School of Public Health. 7th in the nation, if I remember correctly.

Oh, btw, Carter Center is smack dab in the middle of Freedom Parkway and PATH. It's south of campus about 3 miles, close to where I live. It's a nice walkable area but I think it wouldn't be as convenient. Though, there is a MARTA bus that picks up on Moreland Ave (which Freedom Parkway T's off of; Moreland turns into Briarcliff once it crosses Ponce) and drops off on Clifton Rd. So, you could find a place to live in Little 5 Points, Candler Park, or Inman Park, or Poncey Highlands, or even along the part of Briarcliff between Ponce and Cifton and catch that bus to campus.

You have plenty of options....

Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 AM

112 posts, read 487,359 times
Another thing to know is that Emory has a free shuttle to Decatur now. It runs quite frequently, so if you're staying near campus, that's an option for transportation. Rollins is a great place -- welcome!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Thank you so much for the info, guys! This def. gives me a peace of mind. And thanks for the welcome; I appreciate it!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
With the shuttles and stores/amenities near the campus, you should be able to get around fairly easily. One thing that hasn't been mentioned, though, is that some of the areas around Emory are VERY steep hills, particularly on Clifton Road between Emory campus/CDC and Briarcliff Road. That'd be a very strenuous walk, especially in hot weather. If I were you, I'd try to find a place to live along North Decatur Road rather than the Briarcliff area.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM

Aw...that walk is NOT that bad.

I remember when I first started working on Clifton Corridor people would tell me - you can't walk up to Briarcliff, it's too far and too steep.

But in August I started walking to and from work - 3.5 miles each way. It wasn't long before I was blowing off walks up Clifton to Briarcliff like they were strolls in the park.

So, it's true that it's not an easy walk for people who aren't used to walking. But the OP, due to the blindness, probably is in good walking shape and could take it fine.

I'm serious...I'm a big girl who can stand to lose a few pounds but once you start walking everywhere you go there's no place in Atlanta too strenuous to walk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: