Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM

52 posts, read 171,080 times

Advertisements

One thing I think this thread hasn't touched on much is the fact that many African-American parents (wealthy or not) might not even consider private school as an option because they just seem like such a foreign concept -- especially for those with lower incomes. II taught at a summer program for two years and was surprised at the parents (or lack there of) and how little they were involved in their children's education not because they didn't care, but they just didn't know what to do.

For someone who has a mother who can barely read or speak English, for some other minorities, it will may be hard for them to not only grasp why private school eduation might be beneficial to their child, but also get through the application process, deal with filling out financial aid forms each year, etc. Not to mention how hard it would be for both parent/child if the parent is not even able to help the child with their homework or school projects.

It also seems like, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Atlanta's "wealthy" African-American population is the nouveau riche, who don't come from a history of elite private school educated parents, grandparents, etc., so it's not like this is a group with a longstanding history of private education and probably explains why at least some of the "wealthy" AA families do not send their children to the "elite" private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Also something to consider... Culturally, other minorites, such as Asians, put way more emphasis on education than blacks or even whites. This may influence which groups value a more expensive private school education.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM

168 posts, read 560,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay
However, Windu, judging from some posts, I actually think it may come as a surprise to some that there real instances of metro Atlanta public school graduates acing the SAT and going on to Harvard.
Those people just don't know the facts. What's funny is that if you're 4.0 and ace the SATs from a public school, you'll probably have an easier time going Ivy than a private school student. Private school students compete with each other for spots (e.g., I bet 25 Westminster seniors with tutor-enhanced top SATs might apply to Harvard while less than 10 (5?) from a typical Atlanta public high school -- please correct me if you know different). If your kid is a real brainiac, you have to consider that really carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMademoiselle View Post
It also seems like, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Atlanta's "wealthy" African-American population is the nouveau riche, who don't come from a history of elite private school educated parents, grandparents, etc., so it's not like this is a group with a longstanding history of private education and probably explains why at least some of the "wealthy" AA families do not send their children to the "elite" private schools.
Well, that's kinda true and kinda not true. There's new money, but Atlanta's AA community has some very old money. When I was growing up, they sent kids to Douglas and Mays (Southwest before that) mainly, but some went to Westminster, Lovett, Woodward and St. Pius. Just like Buckhead money used North Fulton and Northside. As I said earlier, most rich folks don't use private school, and most rich black folks don't. In fact, most of the people I went to private school with have their kids in public schools.

Here's what's interesting to me. Among my friends and aquaintances who went to college and got good jobs, the private school ones aren't over-represented nor are they concentrated at the top. The difference is that 100% of the AA folks I know that graduated from private schools went on to college. Not true of public. And interestingly, some of the ones who went private were from less wealthy families than public school families where the kids didn't go on to college. That to me is the biggest plus for private schools -- private schools are called "college prep" schools for a reason. It is assumed that your butt is going to college. You are stigmatized if you think otherwise. That's the kind of stigma I love. There is peer pressure to be educated and get into a good college. If you're in a neighborhood where few of the kids go to college and your family doesn't have school banners and alumni magazines on the coffee table, your kid will probably not see college as automatic if he's in public school. That type of family should strongly consider private school.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,416 times
i know this is an old post but i just joined.

so where do most Asians send their kids to school?

the thread talks a lot about AAs but i am curious about the Asian's too?

if private, which schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Also something to consider... Culturally, other minorites, such as Asians, put way more emphasis on education than blacks or even whites. This may influence which groups value a more expensive private school education.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikky View Post
i know this is an old post but i just joined.

so where do most Asians send their kids to school?

the thread talks a lot about AAs but i am curious about the Asian's too?

if private, which schools?
Asians in Atlanta (the big groups are Koreans and Indians) are concentrated in the public schools in eastern North Fulton and western Gwinnett...

in particular Johns Creek (the Northview and Chattahoochee clusters), Duluth (Duluth and Peachtree Ridge clusters), and Lilburn/Mountain Park (the Parkview cluster).

The Northview and Duluth clusters have very high Asian populations.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
I have two children at Woodward Academy North and both of them are one of two African American in their grade. However there is a larger percentage of East indians. I believe there are about 25-30 % East Indians at Woodward North.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 AM

200 posts, read 983,137 times
NOTE: This is an old thread from 2008-2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta