Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,335 times

Advertisements

What is the definition of wealthy African-Americans? What is the benchmark? I am just wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
I'm probably using the term 'wealthy' inaccurately. I certainly can't put a number on it, but to me, especially in this economy, you probably need to have a net worth of at least a million to be considered wealthy. That's not to say you have to be a millionaire to send your kids to these schools. I probably should've used the term well-to-do, which to me, incorporates people in the quarter to half million dollar range.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,159 times
One particular private school here on the north side doesn't seem to have a lot of African Americans. For the few of them that are there, most are the children of athletes or CEOs.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,861,348 times
I agree that geography is probably part of the explanation. Most of the "elite" schools hover around 15-20% minority, but a lot of those students are Asian or Asian Indian. I know that these schools really do want to attract more African-American students, and I don't think any of them have answers either as to why they don't have larger numbers.

Marist (my alma mater too, BringBackCobain, although I'm certain I'm older than you) has a summer program called "Reach for Excellence" that is primarily aimed toward lower-income, predominantly AA students. They use their own teachers and campus and work intensely with these students over a three-year period. They keep in close touch with them in their home schools, hoping to attract many to apply. They (I believe) provide transportation as well (I could be wrong about that, but don't think I am). Most of those students (if cognitively and academically qualified) would qualify for scholarship money/financial aid, but I think that only a handful have applied and wound up at Marist. Why is that: I don't really know. I'm curious to know other people's opinions. Maybe a holdover perception of private schools as WASP-y snobs?

I think that this is the website to read about the program, but my browser is being outrageously slow today, so I can't check.

Please wait...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,584 times
RoslynHolcomb, like others have mentioned although Georgia has a high concentration of Afro-Americans the "elite" or "well to do" are not the majority (even for middle class). African Americans are usually 2-10% of the population in most states. I guess you can say I grew up in a well to do family in CA but even a lot of people with money didn't send their kids to private schools.

Angela Basset and her husband decided to move out of Hancock Park in CA because they wanted their kids to attend a good public school.

I've seen people with money spend it on tutors or athletic trainings and clubs.

Also, they might not want their kids to feel like the only race represented in school either and might find more diversity in the public school.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
Quote:
Why is that: I don't really know. I'm curious to know other people's opinions. Maybe a holdover perception of private schools as WASP-y snobs?
Quote:
Also, they might not want their kids to feel like the only race represented in school either and might find more diversity in the public school.
I suspect both these issues are key. Being 'the only one' can be very hard, especially when the way you're different is so evident. Adolescence is a time when kids are desperate to fit in and getting them to attend a school where that's not possible would be a hard argument to make. I know that when I worked in social services I had recruiters from several private schools contact me hoping I could direct some of the brighter minority students I encountered their way. I had some foster kids with IQs in the 160+ range, but couldn't get them to even consider going to those schools. This was even though the schools they were zoned to were often substandard. It was very frustrating for me because I knew that an opportunity they were being offered could be life-altering, but they were having none of it.

Also, it's very difficult to thrive in such an environment. I know that Oprah sent a lot of kids from the Mississippi Delta to elite boarding schools around the country. Though she had some success, I think those kids really struggled. I've been 'the only one' most of my life in a variety of programs and whatnot, and it is very isolating especially from a social standpoint. I mean, who do you go to the prom with? Obviously this is less of an issue for this generation, but I can assure you interracial dating was so not the norm when I was growing up.

I think the best bet is to start them in the schools when they're young, as opposed to trying to recruit them in middle or high school.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:47 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,584 times
RosylnHolcomb, I agree with you that better opportunities should be available at a younger age. But I also think parental education needs to happen too. The frustrating thing for me to see in the Bay Area were so many people praising kids that got out of jail or kids being an athlete or entertainer to those who were into school.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM

341 posts, read 1,338,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
We have a lot of threads on this board about the various elite private schools in this area and they're very informative. I am curious about something, however. This past weekend I was talking with relatives who work at some elite private schools outside this area. They said that all the private schools work diligently to recruit African Americans to improve their diversity. I laughed and said that's probably not true here in Atlanta. The percentage of wealthy blacks here is very high and presumably they would choose these schools for their children as well. One of my relatives who is very familiar with private schools here said that they struggle in that area as well. A bit of googling around pretty much indicates this is true.

I'm puzzled by this because if asked to name one city that would be chock-ful of wealthy/well-to-do black people I would have chosen Atlanta. I'm curious as to whether black folks with money send their children to these schools, and if not, why not? Are there other schools that black people are more likely to choose? Is it a location issue? All the schools that most of the people seem to talk about are in Buckhead and surrounding areas. I'd always assumed that wealthy black people live in more or less the same areas as wealthy white people. Of course, like most assumptions this is probably erroneous. (For instance, I don't see all that many black people in Dunwoody, though I do see a few.)

What do you guys think? Those of you who have your children in private schools, are there very many African Americans there? As I said, I'm just curious about this issue. Any feedback would be appreciated

^^^

Im an AA and I went to Westminster for one year; there were a few blacks along with myself but not many. Mind you that was in the mid 90's, and I've heard that Westminster has allot more blacks and a large number of Asian/Indians as well now. But even back then Woodward had a larger amount of blacks then any other private school, allot of my parents friends children went there, the only reason I didn’t was it was too far, Westminster was like 5 minutes from my house. Most of Atlantas black elite outside of Dekalb live in the Cascade/Sandtown/ Camp Creek area and most of their children go to Woodward and allot go to SACA (southwest atlanta Christian academy) or Mays, Westlake, & North Atlanta for the ones in public school. SACA as of late has become the new "it" school for parents in that area, as they have an excellent student exchange program, and their sports program (basketball in particular) is actually considered nationally as one of the best prep sports programs in the country. In the last 10 years they have had a number of current NBA and NFL stars graduate from there or attend there for a few years- Dwight Howard, Zach Randolph, Ahman Green and a pre Westlake aka pre ghetto Adam "Pacman" Jones among others

Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, Jeffie...you need to understand, when people say "Atlanta," 99.9% of the time they are referring to the whole Metro Area (or most of it at least).

When referring to just the city, people will say the "City of Atlanta," "within the City," "Atlanta City," etc.

Plus, the black population of the City of Atlanta is now several percentage points below 61%.
I kind of assumed anyone would realize that 42,000 students involved the entire Metro area, not just the City of Atlanta...otherwise I would have clearly stated which one...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM

421 posts, read 1,727,453 times
I attended Paideia, and while I don't consider it to be elite the tuition is comprable to that of Woodward, Westminister, Pace and other private schools in Atlanta. There were maybe 3 or 4 black students in each class, and I guess that the overall minority enrollment was under 15%.
I have since moved to Houston and we are in the process of applying to schools for my 2 year old, and the minority enrollment I guess is below 10% at the better private schools in the city.

When I talk with blackfriends who could easily afford private school tuition they are not interested in paying for an education, even a better education, when public schools are free.

As some person pointed out, the appearance of wealth does not equate to wealth. I would think that wealth would indicate an appreciation of education and many in the black community don't. Some even think that if Public schools were good enough for them, then they are good enough for their children.

Only my black friends who attended Private school or both are adament about choosing better private schools for their children. Most of them are not wealthy and make sacrifices to afford tuition prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta