Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 18,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We'll potentially be moving over from the UK.
I'm also relocating from the UK back to the US. My new job will be taking me to College Park and I've also been looking for homes in the area to purchase. Marietta/Smyrna are just a couple of places I've looked at.
Where in the UK are you at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,535,320 times
If you want to be in East Cobb, safe neighborhoods, excellent schools, great shopping, tons of families look for rental homes in the Walton, Pope or Lassiter high school district. All of the feeder elementary schools into these highschools are excellent. Most homes in East Cobb have Marietta mailing addresses though some have Roswell. (I believe Blackwell Elementary is in West Cobb) It is much easier to search by high school as some areas in the actual city of Marietta are undesirable. East Cobb is part of Cobb county and not in the city of Marietta...we just were assigned Marietta mailing addresses for some strange reason. It can be very confusing. Best of luck and let me know if you need any help. I am very familiar with the schools in East Cobb.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,525,086 times
kaday--

I rarely travel in NW Atlanta and often get turned around/completely lost between Marietta and East Cobb. What would a commute from East Cobb to Vinings/Cumberland be like?

After reading the section on 'Addressing'/Zipcodes I am more confused than ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb_County,_Georgia

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-20-2008 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 47,965 times
USNavygirl94 - I am in Manchester.

Sope Creek Elementary is appealing as it's the closer of the two that have been highly recommended on this forum (Mt Bethel being the other). Though I don't know what the commute would be like from that school district to Vinings during the rush hour. The office is on Overlook Parkway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30339 by the way.

Smyrna looks interesting and I like the idea of a 'village centre' and being near the Silver Comet trail. I take on board that the schools around there need plenty of research. Teasley Elementary gets good reviews and they teach Spanish from 2nd grade which puts it high on my list. It is also pretty close to the office but I can't find hardly any rental homes in that school district.

Thanks for all your help so far guys. I can't believe that one day I might be the knowledgable one advising other people (maybe Brits) moving to Atlanta!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
kaday--

I rarely travel in NW Atlanta and often get turned around/completely lost between Marietta and East Cobb. What would a commute from East Cobb to Vinings/Cumberland be like?

After reading the section on 'Addressing'/Zipcodes I am more confused than ever.
Cobb County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say about 15-20 no traffic and maybe 30 tops with traffic. Depends on how you get there. My spouse works just past that area and those times are for his commute. I think most likely yours would be a bit shorter.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,525,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I'd say about 15-20 no traffic and maybe 30 tops with traffic. Depends on how you get there. My spouse works just past that area and those times are for his commute. I think most likely yours would be a bit shorter.

That is good news for the OP/Fieldtripp62.

I couldn't tell much from the maps I viewed but remember some of the street names as very long roads--Shallowford, Terrell Mill, Paper Mill, Johnson Ferry, Bells Ferry and others. I don't think I will ever really drive comfortably in this area.

Good schools/neighborhood and a daily commute that isn't too intense--that is about as Good As It Gets in Atlanta.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
That is good news for the OP/Fieldtripp62.

I couldn't tell much from the maps I viewed but remember some of the street names as very long roads--Shallowford, Terrell Mill, Paper Mill, Johnson Ferry, Bells Ferry and others. I don't think I will ever really drive comfortably in this area.

Good schools/neighborhood and a daily commute that isn't too intense--that is about as Good As It Gets in Atlanta.
It is a great commute by any city standards. They are long roads but once it clicks you'd be surprised how quickly you can get around! Even at rush hour for my spouse there is rarely a back up......maybe 3 or 4 times in 2 years? The status quo is just moving along and an occasional traffic light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta