Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 AM

88 posts, read 491,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
You have certainly missed the deadline for Woodward and GAC, really wants most applicants to apply in the fall.

Wesleyen should be in your top schools, for certain, but again, I imagine you have missed the deadline.

I hear that applications to private schools in metro ATlanta are down this year, so you may have a shot. Some schools accept application after the deadline, others do not unless you have moved from out of town.

If you are trying to move a child for next year into a private school, you need to prioritize your energies on the ones that offer the best shot of admssions, if your need to make a change is critical.
I have called GAC and they still sent me application. I explained that I was overseas and moving to GA this summer. Thanks for the information. I also will look more into Wesleyen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 03:54 AM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth-Online View Post
Have you looked into Notre Dame Academy? It is a Catholic school and I believe it is off of Peachtree Industrial.
I did not, but thank you for the info. At this point, I will take all the suggstions and narrow it down to location/price/good curriculum.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:55 AM

Post I still would like to know...

What do you all think about Greater Atlanta and Bridgeway

thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 05:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,671,040 times
Good I am glad you got those applications-- Have you considered trying public schools for a year (I don't even know where you live, what the schools are, or how old your kids are, so this may not be an option)?

While not an expert on those schools, I think that they have very different personalities?

Are you an American who has been overseas or will you be an expatriate over here? Have your kids been in IB programmes over seas? If they have, you may not be thrilled with many of the private schools either. IB is so rigourous.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:16 PM

525 posts, read 1,852,702 times
Quote:
Marist (in Chamblee) begins in 7th grade and is Catholic (if that matters, to some Christians it does) as is Blessed Trinity. Is Mt Pisgah up that way as well? What is the name of the school that John Smoltz help start?

Westminster and Lovett (both in Buckhead) are both Christian and both nearly impossible to get into -- I think I read Lovett had nearly 1000 applications for less than 200 spaces last year -- Westminster would have had more.

One trick, so to speak, is to apply at the earliest point -- for example, in pre-k if that is when the school begins. This will certainly give you an edge, for two reasons. One, the admission requirements may be loser, two -- if you don't get in, and apply again the next year, they know you are serious.
Thanks so much for the info..I looked up John Smoltz and it stated he was involved with Kings Ridge christian School. Is that a good school? I have heard that Mt. Pisgah is good?

Thanks so much for the info...you seem to be the queen of school information!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 AM

Smile Americans going back home.

Quote:
Good I am glad you got those applications-- Have you considered trying public schools for a year (I don't even know where you live, what the schools are, or how old your kids are, so this may not be an option)?

While not an expert on those schools, I think that they have very different personalities?

Are you an American who has been overseas or will you be an expatriate over here? Have your kids been in IB programmes over seas? If they have, you may not be thrilled with many of the private schools either. IB is so rigourous.
Yes, we are american and have been overseas for 11 years now. My children are 9 and 7 and have been in a christian school since pre-K. Since I am removing them from a christian environment, I wanted that the change be as smooth a possible for them. I have heard that public schools are also very commendable where we want to move into. We are thinking of Dutluth because our friends have moved into the area and are very satisfied. They had a realtor who was really good (they say).

I am very "serious" when it comes to academics, so the school they are in now reflects it. Many children that have left for the states from this school are usually placed in advanced programs and or excell. I just want to make sure that all aspects of in my kids 'development' will be met and that they still will be able to hear about God in their schools, not only at home. without overdoing it.

Thank you for helping

Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 AM

UMMMM. All private schools are not created equal. In the south, sometimes the desire for the religious component weighs as heavy as the desire for strong academics and so you don't always get both. Many religous private schools are simply public schools with religion inserted.

Frankly, you may want to expand your horizons and consider Westminster and Lovett along with a newer school called Whitfield Academy. (Whitefield Academy is a duplicate of a private school in Dallas, Texas that is extremely religious and academically rigourous.) Lovett and Westminster are in Buckhead and Whitefield is in Mableton. If you are for sure going to go private, you have far more options about where to live. If religon wasn't a factor, and especially if your kids have picked up a second language, I would strongly recommend the Atlanta International School. Pace is good as well.

I am a public school parent and each year, I meet parents who are disappointed in the lack of rigor at their kids' private school, in the lack of individuality in serving children and, occassionally, in the fact that many public schools have smaller class sizes than private schools. Don't get me wrong, public schools have plenty of challenges. But because they are public schools, they have rules that they have to follow about gifted kids or kids with special needs.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Lightbulb You have provided an important piece of info.

Quote:
UMMMM. All private schools are not created equal. In the south, sometimes the desire for the religious component weighs as heavy as the desire for strong academics and so you don't always get both. Many religous private schools are simply public schools with religion inserted.

Frankly, you may want to expand your horizons and consider Westminster and Lovett along with a newer school called Whitfield Academy. (Whitefield Academy is a duplicate of a private school in Dallas, Texas that is extremely religious and academically rigourous.) Lovett and Westminster are in Buckhead and Whitefield is in Mableton. If you are for sure going to go private, you have far more options about where to live. If religon wasn't a factor, and especially if your kids have picked up a second language, I would strongly recommend the Atlanta International School. Pace is good as well.

I am a public school parent and each year, I meet parents who are disappointed in the lack of rigor at their kids' private school, in the lack of individuality in serving children and, occassionally, in the fact that many public schools have smaller class sizes than private schools. Don't get me wrong, public schools have plenty of challenges. But because they are public schools, they have rules that they have to follow about gifted kids or kids with special needs.
I am glad that I am discussing this a little further with you. Thank you for the extended information. The real deal was to make sure that the kids are not to alienated from their "routine". I have heard that the pulic schools are very good in GA, but did not really do much search there because of what you know now. I would not want my kids to be held back or not given the opportunity to excell....that is something to think about. I have shared the findings on Westminster with my husband....actually the annual tuition per child is equal to what we pay here overseas.....and he likes that. The only thing now is to find out is the area for housing and entertainement will also suit our family needs.

Do you know how far is that area from Duluth? or should I look into that area instead?

Old 02-25-2007, 12:18 PM

I would look much closer in -- if I were going to consider the Buckhead private schools (by the way, these schools are very difficult to get into, so keep that in mind as well). Buckhead and Sandy Springs would be good choices to live in should you choose an intown private school.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 PM

985 posts, read 5,761,696 times
In atlanta, there are two choices for good schools.

Either living in Vining, Sandy Spring/Dunwoody and Buckhead. Take advantage of outstanding private schools in Buckhead neighborhoods (Paces, Lovett, Westminster and others). Just warning, all those outstanding private schools are very difficult to get into.

Or living in East Cobb or North Fulton and take advantage of public schools. Duluth schools are good . But if you want best public schools, you should move to John's Creek, just west of Duluth. Northview and Chattohochee high are considered two of top five public schools in Georgia.

You can check Greater Atlanta Christian. I don't know them enough, but their SAT scores are not very high. I am not sure it worths the money. Just a comparsion, GAC average SAT is 1207 while Northview average score is around 1135. I am not saying SAT is good measurement but it is easy comparsion. However, if you want religious to be part of your kids, then GAC is not bad choice then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta