Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM

52 posts, read 171,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Thanks to all for their opinions on this. While I obviously am very familiar with the legal process, both criminal law and civil litigation, having worked in the courtroom for the last 9 years, I'm also aware that I haven't been the one preparing the documents, just reviewing and filing them. I'm looking into UCLA's six month program, which also requires a B.A., but is ABA-approved. Then, coming to Georgia, I would need to obviously become familiar with Georgia Civil Procedure, either by just studying it, or taking a class.

The problem with taking the paralegal courses at a local college is that usually they are 2 year programs, the closest one to ATL I've found that's ABA-approved is in Athens, and I assume I'd have to pay out-of-state tuition. I also don't want to tie up 2 more years of my life at this point, especially when I can get the certificate within six months in California.

As far as starting at entry level, I can handle that, just as long as I can make enough to pay rent and basic expenses. Just want to make sure I can find a job before I leave the one I have.
Sounds like you have a really solid plan there, girlie. I have to become familiar with Georgia stuff too, which is my only set back since I already am so set into how we do things here up north.

With your experience, do you think you could find a Case Assistant job in GA that would pay for your paralegal program, or maybe even one here in CA? I have worked at firms that pay for education as long as it's in the legal field. That might be something to check into too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 AM

670 posts, read 2,115,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMademoiselle View Post
Sounds like you have a really solid plan there, girlie. I have to become familiar with Georgia stuff too, which is my only set back since I already am so set into how we do things here up north.

With your experience, do you think you could find a Case Assistant job in GA that would pay for your paralegal program, or maybe even one here in CA? I have worked at firms that pay for education as long as it's in the legal field. That might be something to check into too.
That sounds like a good idea. I honestly have never heard of the term "case assistant", haven't ever seen a job opening with that title, but I'll check out that angle, thanks.

How are you going to become familiar with Georgia law? Just get the Georgia CCP and memorize it?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 PM

52 posts, read 171,151 times
Well, at my firm now it's called Case Assistant. Other firms it's File Clerk or something like that. At our firm, depending on the practice group, they act like Paralegal Assistants doing work the paralegals can't bill for. It's a great position (at least at my current firm) for someone who wants to start learning paralegal work. You should check that out.

In terms of learning GA rules, I am just going to get the big blue book. I mean, I don't know every CCP here, so I use mine here occasionally when if I've had a brain fart and can't remember if something is court or calendar days, or whatever. Since I already know how to find the answers, I think it should be pretty easy to learn that stuff. I mean, I didn't already know it when I started working as a paralegal here. lol...

I saw one firm in Atlanta that has a continuing eduaction program for paralegals, but I can't remember which one. Some of the larger firms have their open positions on their website and will probably say whether or not they have some type of continuing education program.

Some.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 AM

670 posts, read 2,115,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMademoiselle View Post
Well, at my firm now it's called Case Assistant. Other firms it's File Clerk or something like that. At our firm, depending on the practice group, they act like Paralegal Assistants doing work the paralegals can't bill for. It's a great position (at least at my current firm) for someone who wants to start learning paralegal work. You should check that out.

In terms of learning GA rules, I am just going to get the big blue book. I mean, I don't know every CCP here, so I use mine here occasionally when if I've had a brain fart and can't remember if something is court or calendar days, or whatever. Since I already know how to find the answers, I think it should be pretty easy to learn that stuff. I mean, I didn't already know it when I started working as a paralegal here. lol...

I saw one firm in Atlanta that has a continuing eduaction program for paralegals, but I can't remember which one. Some of the larger firms have their open positions on their website and will probably say whether or not they have some type of continuing education program.

Some.

Thanks for explaining what a case assistant is for me...I have seen the listing for file clerks (in L.A.) and that might be a good way for me to get my foot in the door. I do feel that one thing I do have to offer is my knowledge of legal procedure and my courtroom experience, but it would probably be more useful if I was getting a legal job in California. I'll check out the continuing education angle. That's a great idea.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Are there any attorneys or paralegals on this site that can tell me if the paralegal certificate program offered through Emory University's extended education division is very well regarded? It's a 6 month program that requires a B.A. to participate, but it's not ABA approved.

Don't go for non - aba approved schools. Accreditation is worth something and a school that works at it, has added something to your degree!

i graduated from an aba paralegal school and that was my primary criteria besides cost! good luck.

you also want to go on the bureau of statistics website, since Georgia is probably low paying. i was making 42, 000 after 1.5 years and i was just a legal secretary.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM

28 posts, read 120,216 times
If you're willing to work your butt of (= no kids), you can still make a ton of money at one of the big law firms with offices in town. They are cutting back, but the turnover is pretty high so they might need you if you contact them on the right day. In fact, before you sign up for a certificate program maybe you should just contact the HR folks at the kind of places you want to work at, and ask them if what kind of certificate you should get.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,187 times
I have been looking at Kennesaw State's Paralegel Program on top of Emory's. If you are really looking for an ABA approved program in Georgia check out Clayton State. From the research I have done a certificate from a respected program and experience is really what matters. I chose not to go with them because their name does not hold a lot of weight personally. However, the cost of the program is cheaper at the universities that offer the program. In addition to the incentive of a lower cost, you also decide your completion date of the program. You can finish a university program in a year on your own time for a cheaper cost. (Doesn't sound that bad if you ask me. That is if you presently have a job and steady income.)

Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,838 times
Which program would you go with for Paralegal?

Emory or Kennesaw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: