Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Columbus 15 16.67%
Macon 17 18.89%
Savannah 47 52.22%
Augusta 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 PM

215 posts, read 602,860 times

Advertisements

What city would you like Atlanta to connect with first. To spur growth in other parts of georgia. And even out the sizes of the cities in the state. What cities would you want to visit, work, play, etc in. Name the top 2 or 3 cities in which Atlanta should build rail too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:42 PM

23,517 posts, read 44,204,364 times
Savannah, definitely. But I think it's a safe assumption that said rail line would stop in Macon.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,927,832 times
Seriously, and not to tick off the locals there, but what's in Macon that there needs to be a train to connect Atlanta to it? The original plan to connect the Atlanta airport (and downtown) with Chattanooga's airport (with several stops in NW GA. along the way) was a good one. Connecting to Athens via the schools is also a plan. Macon? I don't see it.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM

352 posts, read 1,426,522 times
High Speed rail to Savannah via Macon. It would be awesome to be able to get to Savannah in 3 hours via rail.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 PM

283 posts, read 1,194,955 times
Well go to it's furthest reaches through out the state instead of picking the ones closest by. The ones on the way to its furthest reaches will see the benefits as well. You do not even have to stay within the state boundries if you like. Maybe try breaking away from the interstate commerce and let some of the little guys have fun too.

How about Bainbridge or Thomasville, Waycross, Sylvania, Blairsville & Rome within GA and then via those routes outside of GA to say Tallahassee, FL; Jacksonville, FL; Charleston, SC; Memphis, TN & Knoxville, TN following the same order. Just splitting the interstates right down the middle. More could be added without reason but why should the loners be forgotten.

It will never happen. Just throwing the idea out there.

But since I'm limited to choosing only one I'll choose Savannah because no matter what route they take to get there it will be forced to help out the most places on the way, assuming stops along the way are included.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:00 PM

283 posts, read 1,194,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Seriously, and not to tick off the locals there, but what's in Macon that there needs to be a train to connect Atlanta to it? The original plan to connect the Atlanta airport (and downtown) with Chattanooga's airport (with several stops in NW GA. along the way) was a good one. Connecting to Athens via the schools is also a plan. Macon? I don't see it.
Well I would have to say that the reasoning behind choosing Macon is; it only makes the most economical sense for all areas.

A huge amount of people living in Macon and on the way to MAC work in ATL. It is also a bridge or gateway if you will to the rest of the south.

While I tend to agree with you that the politics and social adgendas of true Maconites would seriously foul up the economical beneifits of having it there. Would some how manage to find a way to ignore the fact that they have yet another very effective resource for growth; there is no sense in ignoring the fact that much of GA and most eveything that is south of ATL generally has to pass through Macon.

For furture expansion of the rail line to other locations, it is just one of the best choices for state and federals dollars to be spent on.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM

6,597 posts, read 12,105,374 times
I would like to see a rail line from Atlanta stopping at Macon and Savannah and terminating at Tybee Island. That would allow more Atlantans to spend a day at the beach.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 PM

43 posts, read 117,427 times
I think the Brain Train is a good, feasible idea...the lines are there and Athens Transit is already ready for a rail connection, I don't know what's holding it up. It'd be great for alleviating Gwinnett traffic

Old 10-26-2008, 09:22 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,602,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorelandWalker View Post
I think the Brain Train is a good, feasible idea...the lines are there and Athens Transit is already ready for a rail connection, I don't know what's holding it up. It'd be great for alleviating Gwinnett traffic
The lines are already there between most of the major cities in Georgia.

http://www.garail.com/Media/GRPP%20map/grppmap.GIF (broken link)

Georgia Rail Passenger Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,602,703 times
Default Interesting...

Here's another very interesting map (just Metro Atlanta though):

http://tpb.ga.gov/Documents/TPBProposedProjectsbyTypeProj_ESize07-6-07.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta