Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times

Advertisements

Columbus is working hard to be connected to Atlanta by high-speed rail. Currently, there is a $300,000 study being conducted to determine the feasibility of this project. What do people from metro Atlanta think of this plan?

Passenger rail between Atlanta and Columbus focus of study - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,313 times
I like it, however I think we need to focus on lines that will see the most ridership first. IE Atlanta-Savannah-Jacksonville.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Hmmm, I kind of like this. But only if a commuter rail line could be integrated. Say Columbus, Newnan, Fair burn, union city, airport, Atlanta. Or possibly route through PTC.

I think the Atlanta, Macon, savannah route will likely be a failure. How are people going to get around once they get there? Guess the same could be said for Columbus.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Hmmm, I kind of like this. But only if a commuter rail line could be integrated. Say Columbus, Newnan, Fair burn, union city, airport, Atlanta. Or possibly route through PTC.

I think the Atlanta, Macon, savannah route will likely be a failure. How are people going to get around once they get there? Guess the same could be said for Columbus.
How do people get around when they fly? They use public transit, get friends or family to pick them up, or they rent a car.

And considering the rail stations would most likely be built in downtown areas, they can walk.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Yeah, an additional transfer from plane to train is fairly unattractive to most people. I doubt the airlines will let rail be a more cost effective option.

I love rail transit. I just think the expansion of passenger rail in the SE will ultimately be a failure. It works elsewhere, Europe and the NE, because there are connections once you arrive and the cities are much closer together.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
I can't imagine anyone wanting to take a train to Savannah or Jacksonville -- interstates go directly to both, and there's hardly any traffic on either. The only case I could imagine is someone who can't drive, but that's a pretty small minority of people, and they can just take a bus anyway. Surely we have better things to spend our money on.

On a side note, I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to Columbus at all

Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I can't imagine anyone wanting to take a train to Savannah or Jacksonville -- interstates go directly to both, and there's hardly any traffic on either. The only case I could imagine is someone who can't drive, but that's a pretty small minority of people, and they can just take a bus anyway. Surely we have better things to spend our money on.

Or people who can drive but choose not too. That is a rather large demographic.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 PM

444 posts, read 703,593 times
Quote:

What about people from Columbus wanting to come to Atlanta though (for various reasons, including the airport)? I am originally from Columbus and once I get to Hartsfield-Jackson Intl, I take Groome Transportation shuttle service to Columbus and back (about 67 dollars round trip). Let me tell you, that shuttle service makes brisk business no matter what time I choose to take it. So, I can imagine high speed rail btw Columbus and Atlanta doing very well.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine anyone wanting to take a train to Savannah or Jacksonville -- interstates go directly to both, and there's hardly any traffic on either.
This is very true (Except 95 b/t Savannah and Jacksonville is PACKED). There is not a single doubt in my mind that a Savannah line would be a total waste. I-16 almost always has light traffic.

For the occasional person who doesn't want to drive, take a bus. It is pointless to spend millions on rail when the infrastructure to move people already exists. Hopping on a train at the new Multi-Modal station in Atlanta and flying down the tracks to spend a day in beautiful Savannah sounds great, but it is by all means impractical. As a fan of rail transport, I don't want it to become the poster child of waste.

Once a commuter rail network exists in Atlanta, extensions to Macon and Columbus may work. But at this point in time, those routes will fail. Rail transit will be regarded as wasteful and this will add to the resitance of rail expansion in metro Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
I don't see it ever happening. The cost of high-speed rail is pretty steep, and I can't imagine the ridership between Columbus and Atlanta would ever be large enough to justify it. Unless, of course, it was another federally subsidized boondoggle that never generates enough revenue to cover even a fraction of it's cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta