Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
LLD LLD started this thread

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a map of Marta that shows where the stations are physically on a map of Atlanta? I've searched and the only thing I've found is the standard logical representation like on the Marta site.

I want to see where the stations are physically in terms of planning how long a commute might be if you say live in Gwinnet and drive to the last station on the line etc. and then take that into town - for instance if you lived in Gwinnet and worked at the CDC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
I don't know of an actual physical map, but I can tell you exactly where the stations are located. If you are coming from Gwinnett and are looking for the NE Marta line, you would get on at the Doraville Station. The Station is located just west of the Buford Hwy-I-285 interchange on New Peachtree Rd, right about where Central Ave comes in. From there you would take the rail to the Lindbergh Station and get on the #6 or #245 bus. The #6 or #245 would take you down Lindbergh/Lavista to Briarcliff. South on Briarcliff and then down Clifton. The CDC is located off Clifton.

http://www.itsmarta.com/maps/viewer.asp (broken link) does have some major roads on the map viewer, but not all of them. It could help to give you an idea of where stuff is. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that on the MARTA site!

So what would be the commute time from Lawrenciville to the Doraville station in standard rush hour?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 AM

Others could probably give a more accurate estimate but I would say about 45 minutes depending on where you are coming from in Lawrenceville. Of course you add that to the 45 minutes Marta is going to take you and you're in for a fun commute.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Well, I'm not liking the sound of that. I didn't think it would take 45 minutes from MARTA to the CDC.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Future CDC emplyees might find this site useful:

http://www.slashforward.com/CCTMA/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id= 91&Itemid=114

The CDC tends to discourage employees from living far outside the Perimeter by offering incentives such as transportation cost reimbursement only for those closer in, specifically excluding Clayton County’s C-Tran, Cobb County Transit (CCT) and Gwinnett County Transit. It makes sense to me. Why entice people to live in the suburbs and waste so much time and fuel daily?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Well, I'm not liking the sound of that. I didn't think it would take 45 minutes from MARTA to the CDC.
I'd say 15 minutes on the train, and then another 15 minute bus ride from Lindbergh to the CDC. I would think you would generally average 15 minutes waiting time (at least) so you are probably at or around 45 minutes. I know, it sucks. Now you're beginning to understand why everybody says Atlanta does not have an effective mass transit system.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:16 AM

yeah, I can see the issues with transportation which is why I've thought about in town neighborhoods -- of course that doesn't help if I get stuck with an IT position in Alpharetta (which I really don't want so I'm not going to look much there but you never know where a good offer will come from).

I'm also considering Gwinnet since I like all the diversity and I was thinking I might try living just outside the perimeter and doing a combo of drive and public transport. I asked as Lawrenciville because it is the county seat and usually you get lots of amenities but I'm not willing to have a 90 minute commute.

In Austin I lived 22 miles from town and it was 30 minutes to get to work. In Albuquerque I live 21 miles from the center of town and it takes 30-40 minutes which is okay.

Of course I won't make any decisions until I check things out personally, try some routes, get a feel for neighborhoods etc. But it is very helpful to get people's input and I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my queries.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Does anyone know of a map of Marta that shows where the stations are physically on a map of Atlanta? I've searched and the only thing I've found is the standard logical representation like on the Marta site.

I want to see where the stations are physically in terms of planning how long a commute might be if you say live in Gwinnet and drive to the last station on the line etc. and then take that into town - for instance if you lived in Gwinnet and worked at the CDC.
Try this one:

http://www.gophernet.org/maps/marta.html

Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Oh excellent reference! I wonder why there is no park and ride headed in the direction of Norcross then Duluth..... I see one in Lawrenceville but that seems to be about it for that part of Gwinnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta