Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
yeah, I can see the issues with transportation which is why I've thought about in town neighborhoods -- of course that doesn't help if I get stuck with an IT position in Alpharetta (which I really don't want so I'm not going to look much there but you never know where a good offer will come from).

I'm also considering Gwinnet since I like all the diversity and I was thinking I might try living just outside the perimeter and doing a combo of drive and public transport. I asked as Lawrenciville because it is the county seat and usually you get lots of amenities but I'm not willing to have a 90 minute commute.

In Austin I lived 22 miles from town and it was 30 minutes to get to work. In Albuquerque I live 21 miles from the center of town and it takes 30-40 minutes which is okay.

Of course I won't make any decisions until I check things out personally, try some routes, get a feel for neighborhoods etc. But it is very helpful to get people's input and I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my queries.

Just remember, Atlanta has over 5,000,000 people, many of which are trying to get somewhere all at the same time during rush hours. That's at least double Austin and 4 or 5 times Albequerque....so a bunch more cars.

You're really missing out on a nice area of town around Emory. Druid Hills, Decatur, Virginia Highland, Briarcliff/Lavista/Clifton/Clairmont Rd areas - very nice , somewhat expensive but affordable housing can be located. Lawrenceville is a fine suburb of Atlanta, but it's a hike from CDC and not an easy public transportation trip. The one most important piece of advice to newcomers is to try and live in or near the area where you'll be working. Some commutes are bad, especially when you're trying to go the same way as a zillion other people and it' heavy stop-n-go. Others are even worse, when you're trying to cut across and through all the zillion people going the same way. The Marta commute would be quite a time consuming one for you but at least you could relax on the way. Something to think about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
LLD LLD started this thread

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
I hear ya sprtsluvr8.... I grew up in Houston and lived in the DC area for 10 years -- both have horrendous traffic and large populations so I understand the issues, I think. I agree that the Atlanta in town neighborhoods are great -- I'm just looking at different options based on price, diversity, amenties, transportation etc.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Is the Emory area not diverse? I would have thought that it is, but I can't say for 100%. For amenities you won't find more quantity or quality in the burbs. You might find less expensive housing. If you don't mind a long frustrating commute that you spend a couple of hours of your free time doing then you won't have an issue. I would go insane and probably end up strangling a few innocent commuters, then head for the university clock tower with my assault rifle, but that's just me.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,759 times
I actually live near Emory and would say it's pretty diverse both economically (although it's becoming less so) and culturally. You have both poor and rich as well as significant middle class neighborhoods. You also have a lot of different cultures around. The school is somewhat diverse so you have many college students or different backgrounds, you also have a lot of middle class residents around (many from different backgrounds) including the large Jewish population in Toco Hills and surrounding areas.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM

I thought so...I lived over there for a couple of years but it was back in the early 90's, so I'm sure much has changed. I hardly ever go over that way now, funny how that happens when you move to another section of town. The Greek Orthodox Church is in the area too I think, on Clairmont?

How is the diversity compared to Lawrenceville? It just surprised me to read LLD's comments and that he was leaning toward L'ville...I don't know a lot about it other than published information and word of mouth, but I don't imagine it to be on par with Emory or even what LLD is looking for...I guess he/she is a big boy/girl.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 AM
LLD LLD started this thread

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
FYI... I'm a woman, not a man :-). And I think you misunderstood my comments. Never said Emory wasn't diverse. Just said the diversity was one of my criteria. And I never said I preferred Lawrenceville, was just asking a question. My preference is probably somewhere like Kirkwoord, but I'm keeping options open. It's hard not to look at those prices in the burbs but no way am I gonna commit myself to a nightmare commute. If I did go with anything outside the city it would still have to be just outside the perimeter I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta