Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 25,384 times

Advertisements

Since I'll be relocating to Atlanta, I am making an investment in a Garmin GPS system to avoid getting lost. The system also has a subscription feature that identifies where the traffic accidents are and will re-route me accordingly.

For anyone that currently uses a navigation system around town, how helpful do you find the system? Do you subscribe to the traffic alert features that re-route you to avoid traffic and construction areas? If so, does it really save you any time? I'm thinking if there is an accident, then everyone else will be taking alternative routes so I'm not sure how much of a time saver this feature really would be and if it will be worth the $200 purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 AM

279 posts, read 471,731 times
the re-routing feature might be worth it. They give traffic/accident reports almost every other minute. Problem is that everyone else will be taking that shortcut also. If you're driving a regular route, i would just get out a paper map and have a few back roads planned. If there is a monthly subscription fee i would not get it.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,053 times
I bought a Magellan GPS when I moved to midtown atl in 2004. It has been a life-saver...I will not buy a car without Nav. It will be very useful for you if you are new to the area.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
If you are really good with maps then a GPS system isn't worth it, but if not I would recommend. Very few streets go straight here so you can often find yourself switching from street to street, over and over. Just to find the best way from point a to point b it would probably be worth it. Atlanta traffic is pretty predictible though and I'm not sure if a monthly fee for traffic updates would be worth it.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 AM

56 posts, read 318,952 times
I was thinking about making that purchase for myself as well, since I have no sense of direction. Can anyone give me a good model for a reasonable price?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 PM

173 posts, read 521,807 times

Hello, I believe a Garmin GPS is a absolute necessary. Not only will it almost flawlessly lead you around the city and to other cities. It will give you POI's (Point of interest). Like if you wanted to go to waffle house, you can just search for a food place and type in waffle house. Or search for the nearest hamburger place, mall, list of football stadiums ,etc. It's great. I used one for a interview in naples, FL. It really helped a lot.

I used the Garmin Streetpilot C5x0 series. I'll give you a list of models and you can choose. I would recommend the streetpilot series though.

Just to start, here is the website for garmin automotive products http://www.garmin.com/automotive/pro...tml#automotive
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp580/ (broken link)

The garmin nuvi's (if you look at the product list for the website I just gave you) are excellent products. But they include things like a travel kit, and extra little features like the MP3 player, audio book player from Audible.com, JPEG picture viewer, currency converters, and more which you don't need if you ask me. But look at the Garmin 350, garmin nuvi 360, Garmin 660, and the Garmin 680 (not yet released.)

But if I were you I would look at the streetpilot Garmin system. Choose between the c550 or the new streepilot c580. The new streetpilot 580 comes out Feb. 14, for a price of about 799.00. It's worth the price if you ask me. Just go here and look http://garmin.msndirect.com/NavigationDevices.aspx (broken link)

But if the ones I listed were to expensive, maybe look at the older models like the garmin nuvi 350, nuvi 360, streetpilot 550, streetpilot c530. Garmin systems also come out for updates that you can update your product online. I would wait for the garmin streepilot c580, but that may be a little on the expensive side. Also do yourself a favor and goto www.amazon.com and look at the reviews and price of the products I mentioned. Sometimes mapquest.com is unreliable and once your lost, your lost, no re-routing which a GPS system allows. Also driving at night can be dangerous with maps, so invest in a good GPS system. Cheaper isn't always better, but you don't want to go broke

Also, go here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...p?FORUM_ID=172 and here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...sp?FORUM_ID=86 and post your question. I'm sure they can help. I'm actually traveling to ATL for a interview with diplomatic security and I'm really going to need a GPS. God Bless.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 25,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_lowe1120 View Post
I was thinking about making that purchase for myself as well, since I have no sense of direction. Can anyone give me a good model for a reasonable price?

I'm going to purchase the Garmin nuvi 350 from Wal-mart for $488. Because I need it for this weekend, I didn't have time to order one.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerim View Post
I'm going to purchase the Garmin nuvi 350 from Wal-mart for $488. Because I need it for this weekend, I didn't have time to order one.
Cool then, also look at the streetpilot c550/nuvi 360 if maybe walmart or best buy/circuit city has. You will enjoy whatever you get God Bless.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:46 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerim View Post

I've used a Nuvi 350 for over a year now. You'll wonder how you got along without it. Took two road trips down south (Cape Cod to Ga and SC), flew into El Paso TX for a ten day trip around NM and traveled all over southern CA, using my Nuvi 350. It's a life saver, especially around complex roads (San Diego! My God was that place confusing. But, no problem with the Nuvi).

The instrument is easy to use but I do suggest you read the manual. You'll get lots more utility from the device.

Enjoy,

Rich

Oh, also used it around the southern "rim" of Atlanta. Complicated road system, lots of traffic. The Nuvi never failed me there either.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 AM

I agree capecod, especially when it tells you to "stay left" or "stay right", or turn left onto I-95 then stay right, so you can prepare for your highway merges, forks, etc. Is a great safety feature because often times when driving with maps your in the wrong lane as you prepare for a highway merge and traffic may be backed up so you have no time to switch lanes to turn onto the highway merge, therefore causing you to miss your merge and get off track. You still have to use human judgement, But the garmin 350 is a great device too look at the reviews http://tinyurl.com/3xasy6 (broken link) (I made the link smaller). But if you get it don't forget to update it by going here http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00455-00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta