Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
Alabama and Mississippi are the armpit of America. Those two states have some of the highest poverty rates, the worst school perfromance, and the most obese populations. Some people may disagree, but I think most people would agree that those two states are not desireable places to live.

I've been in both states, and I have a more favorable opinion of Alabama.

Auburn, Alabama is very nice. Very! I was impressed not only with the town but with the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,639 times
id rather live in alabama/mississippi instead of vermont, north/south dakota, new mexico, mass, etc

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
id rather live in alabama/mississippi instead of vermont, north/south dakota, new mexico, mass, etc

Burlington, Vermont is very beautiful and picturesque...believe an hour or so drive south of Montreal ... one spectacular international city.

Santa Fe, New Mexico ... nothing but absolutely beautiful and very unique.

Only places I know well enough to comment.

I did have the opportunity to visit Starkville, MS where MS State University (largest in the State). Although my visit was short, staying near the campus was a nice experience. Perhaps THE nicest, polite and well-spoken young people I've encountered in a long time!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
So very, very true ... however many indigenous residents I've met have NEVER left the State of Georgia. Even some transplants have never stepped foot inside a city larger than Atlanta. Some base their perceptions and observations merely on their own experiences however extensive or not ... and that becomes their 'gospel' ...

I guess some people aren't as mobile as others. You would think that most Georgia natives, in the Atlanta area, have been to Chattanooga.

Chattanooga is just a hop-skip-and jump from Dalton. Dalton has great carpeting bargains, so I guess these folks don't shop much.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 PM

91 posts, read 344,281 times
The bottom line here is that mainstream America does not think highly of Alabama and Mississippi. Pop culture tells us this. Of course not every part is bad, but majority is.

The only reason Georgia isnt viewed by popular culture as hickish, redneck, and poedunk is BECAUSE of Atlanta. Therefore, this causes Georgia to be dependent on Atlanta. Atlanta is Georgia's saving grace, and the deep south's for that matter.

There simply arent enough people in the deep south for thier to be two major cities in the same state. Florida has way more people than Georgia.

Plus, why would anyone move to Columbus, Birmingham, Jackson, etc. if they could live in Atlanta?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
Quote:
The bottom line here is that mainstream America does not think highly of Alabama and Mississippi. Pop culture tells us this. Of course not every part is bad, but majority is.

The only reason Georgia isnt viewed by popular culture as hickish, redneck, and poedunk is BECAUSE of Atlanta. Therefore, this causes Georgia to be dependent on Atlanta. Atlanta is Georgia's saving grace, and the deep south's for that matter.

There simply arent enough people in the deep south for thier to be two major cities in the same state. Florida has way more people than Georgia.

Plus, why would anyone move to Columbus, Birmingham, Jackson, etc. if they could live in Atlanta?
I can think of a few reasons why someone would rather live in Columbus, Birmingham, Jackson, etc, instead of Atlanta. For one, less traffic. Two, people in smaller cities tend to be nicer. Three, it's more laid back, which some people dont like but others love.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Burlington, Vermont is very beautiful and picturesque...believe an hour or so drive south of Montreal ... one spectacular international city.

Santa Fe, New Mexico ... nothing but absolutely beautiful and very unique.

Only places I know well enough to comment.

I did have the opportunity to visit Starkville, MS where MS State University (largest in the State). Although my visit was short, staying near the campus was a nice experience. Perhaps THE nicest, polite and well-spoken young people I've encountered in a long time!

I haven't been to Burlington. Does the Burlington Coat Factory count? If it does, than I've been to Burlington.

I'm surprised Ol' Miss has fewer students.

I used to know a person from Mississippi--very gracious and nice.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I haven't been to Burlington. Does the Burlington Coat Factory count? If it does, than I've been to Burlington. I'm surprised Ol' Miss has fewer students. I used to know a person from Mississippi--very gracious and nice.
Well ... you're kinda close. Burlington Coat Factory started in Burlington, New Jersey ...

I was also surprised to hear that MS State University was the largest in student attendance in MS. Once again was pleasantly surprised at the refined, gracious and kind manners the students I encountered while I was visiting there.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I believe that you're correct here ... however I find when residents of neighboring States "pick" on AL or MS ... I find the old adage "The cloud calling the raindrop WET" ...

Quote:
Here I'm going to disagree. Working with the travelling public for over 33 years ... domestic and international ... more often than not I hear that "Atlanta" [which can mean many places/people/areas] are rude, arrogant, ignorant and self-righteous white-trash "nouveau riche". I've also heard "Atlanta" described as "Alabama New Money ad nauseum". After living here in Metro Atlanta for the past 17 years ... I'm finding the "more things change, the more things stay the same". I simply haven't seen any drastic changes in residents' attitudes, culture or acceptance of diversity that I keep hearing about. Our "report card" cannot simple be internalized amongst ourselves.

Of course if you live here ... you know that this perception is not entirely true, but I've heard some rather outlandish stories from visitor's that sometimes all tend to have the same overtones and innuendos; therefore some have credibility when I listen.

I find it difficult to "separate" Metro Atlanta from the rest of Georgia ... physical proximity simply does not alter anyone's mindset or perception.

Georgia is part of Atlanta and Atlanta will always be part of Georgia. There is simply no distinct "line" in which separates or invalidates either from each other.

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-17-2008 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 PM

[quote=rswlguy;4897607]Well ... you're kinda close. Burlington Coat Factory started in Burlington, New Jersey ...

I haven't been to Burlington then. I didn't think that would work. LOL!

I have heard good things about Burlington, Vermont, except for the weather.

Burlington is always highly rated as a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta