Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 19,079 times

Advertisements

Hi CD! I need some help guys My current job is in the process of relocating my position to our Atlanta site so guess what! It's time for a move. I'm a 23 year old single parent of one. Grew up in the South (South Carolina) but raised btwn there and NJ (Orange); so I know enough about the city that I don't want to raise my child there and enough about the country to know that its too inconvenient. So help me out guys..I've been praying for direction and I know He will lead me but I would just like some input from you all. I've actually been looking in the Clayton county area (Jonesboro/Riverdale). Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
You all have a blessed day and get back at me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Why Clayton County? They're still at risk of losing accreditation in their school system, and they've got other issues as well. Is your new job located there?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 AM

42 posts, read 185,203 times
wish you good luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
I'm moving this thread over to the Atlanta room where it'll get more replies (especially about the Clayton County idea ) as opposed to the Georgia room.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,316 times
Where area of Atlanta will u be working in?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 19,079 times
I will be moving to the Assurant office in Atlanta. Not too sure if any of you are familiar w/ our company but the address is 260 Interstate North Circle, SE. I began my search in Clayton County because 1 affordable 2 not too close yet not far away..

Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
You don't want Clayton County right now. There's a reason it's so affordable - they're about to lose their accreditation in the public schools for the malfeasance of the school board.

Also, it actually IS far away from your job. Assurant's offices are on the north end of town. THat's a horrific commute.

I think you should look in the Smyrna area.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,966 times
You could hardly do worse than Clayton County if you tried. I'm really glad you posted here.

The Smyrna area is an excellent suggestion -- I think you might be very happy there, and it's extremely close to your job. In fact, the residential areas in every direction (Vinings, Sandy Springs, etc.) are by and large quite good, although some of them might be too pricey.

I think there are some reasonably priced decent apartments in the Terrell Mill Road area, too. I'm just assuming the schools there are pretty good. You would love not having to get on an interstate to get to and from work.

Since you appear to be religious, one approach might be to look in those areas and find a place reasonably near a church you like.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM

235 posts, read 838,161 times
If you are concerned about your child in public schools, stay out of Clayton County. Housing is bottomed out in Clayton in part due to the atrocious school system on the brink of losings its SACS accreditation. I think Clayton County schools will get the accreditation back in time, but they have an uphill battle.

The other suggestions are good here: Smyrna or even Douglasville is an option for someone on a budget. You might even want to try South Fulton, as well. Check out school rankings at greatschools.net - If I were you, I would rent first and then buy later. Not knowing the area well and making a house purchase is not the best thing. Hope it works out for you.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charnewbie View Post
I will be moving to the Assurant office in Atlanta. Not too sure if any of you are familiar w/ our company but the address is 260 Interstate North Circle, SE. I began my search in Clayton County because 1 affordable 2 not too close yet not far away..
You better mapquest that address. As another poster stated, this is one the complete other side of town from Clayton. Not a smart move whatsoever.

Smyrna and Marietta would be much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta