Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

your user name. i was browsing a website about the MARTA stations and i notice that the first station opened was Five Points (or was it Lindburgh?) in 1979. the n Springs station was opened on 12/16/00 it said. Many others seemed to open in the early 80's

What's odd is that the ride from Airport to N Springs is 24.1 miles and takes 47 minutes, according to the site.

But in NY the longest rides in the subway system are about that distance (W 207 street in Manhattan to Far Rockaway Queens) but it takes well over an hour and most people in NY would dread that ride

It seems that a 24 mile ride in Atlanta on MARTA may not be a big deal? Who knows, i don't live in Atlanta

In NY there is no direct subway to get in to JFK Airport. the JFK skytrain is only 5 years old and you have to transfer to the Skytrain in Queens and you pay when you leave the skytrain at the airport

NY had a 'train to the plane" to JFK from 1979 to 1990 but they canned it. I don't remember why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
MARTA hasn't done much in the way of expansion in recent years. There's entire threads and topics on here if you search about why it's not in our suburbs (can get very political).

It's a relatively fast subway (once you're on a train) compared to some because you don't have many spurs to deal with. Other than having to transfer sometimes at Lindbergh to go either North or Northeast, most of the time you're dealing with straight shots. Once you leave the downtown/Midtown area, the stations are not as close together as they are in New York or places like London either, so the train zips up to a pretty fast speed in-between stations, getting to the final stop quicker.

Planning wasn't top-notch back when they were building the thing. I think they really were just trying to get it started and built quick before money dried up. Look at the huge gap on their map between the Arts Center and Lindbergh stations - and in a city environment. In New York you'd have several stops in-between those. Maybe they thought we didn't need them then - now they'd be handy, but it's too late. Bad planning.

Anyway - you'll see when you get here - but you'll be safe.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Planning wasn't top-notch back when they were building the thing. I think they really were just trying to get it started and built quick before money dried up. Look at the huge gap on their map between the Arts Center and Lindbergh stations - and in a city environment. In New York you'd have several stops in-between those. Maybe they thought we didn't need them then - now they'd be handy, but it's too late. Bad planning.

Anyway - you'll see when you get here - but you'll be safe.
It's not too late. The track is there. Putting in a new station would cost money but MARTA already owns the land immediately surrounding the tracks so the only cost would be station construction. While that cost is non-trivial it is a lot cheaper than extending the system to Alpharetta or whatever.

As for why it is faster to travel the same distance on MARTA than on the NYC subway the answer is fewer stations. There are only 20 stations between the airport and North Springs. To put that into perspective. If you boarded the A at 207 St 20 stops puts you at Norstrand Ave in Brooklyn. Seventeen more stops to go to get Far Rockaway.

I would not worry about taking MARTA from the airport. You aren't going to be going to the bad parts of town so you will be fine. Because MARTA is sucha small system is more difficult to miss your stop. There will be lots of people with luggage getting on the train with you.

Oh, and "AirTrain" at JFK is such a scam. It is so expensive and there is no real way to avoid it. There is one bus that serves the airport now and iirc it doesn't even go to an express subway stop. At least at Newark you can take a cheap NJTransit bus to Newark station (and if you are at Terminal A it can be faster than taking the monorail to the Newark Airport Station).

Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Default it seems modernistic and exciting...

a train station inside an airport.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Default petey nice...

you're from NY? you seem to know both NY and Atlanta

Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 PM

I am! I lived in NYC my whole life until I moved to Atlanta last year.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Are there any places i can wait near the N Springs station if no one was home at my folks or brothers house--any Starbucks/VCaribou, music stores like FYE, with rest rooms, or someplace to call a cab from?

And Petey nice, where in NY did you live? I live at the end of the #1 train at Van Cortlandt park

Old 07-30-2008, 12:52 PM

I have never been up to North Springs, but mist stations have a taxi stand. I grew up on the corner of Bedford and Downing in the West Village.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

65 posts, read 170,104 times
Whenever I've stopped at NSS, I haven't noticed anywhere else around. You could take 140 to the mall, if you caught the schedule right and had sufficient time to kill to substantiate the trip.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Are there any places i can wait near the N Springs station if no one was home at my folks or brothers house--any Starbucks/VCaribou, music stores like FYE, with rest rooms, or someplace to call a cab from?

And Petey nice, where in NY did you live? I live at the end of the #1 train at Van Cortlandt park
Unfortunately, no...the station is in a very residential area and there's nothing retail within a decent walking distance. There is a taxi stand, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta