Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 03:24 PM

214 posts, read 595,877 times

Advertisements

I'll double this post in the education section, but I was wondering if anyone had any local experience overriding a teacher or school recommendation for placement?

Here's the deal: My daughter was in advanced math last year (7th). She did great the first semester, then kind of tanked for about 6 weeks the second semester in all her classes. She recovered nicely, but was left with a C in adv. math (her only C and lowest grade). Her teacher, who was in his last year at the school due to a promotion, checked her off for regular math for 8th grade.

I'm not being blind here; my daughter can definitely handle algebra. We've been doing it at home all summer. Plus, she's applying to a pre-IB program in October of this year. Regular math and a complete lack of foreign language at this school would totally hurt her... right?

This was a good teacher and I don't have any issues with him, except for a few things he said to the class that weren't too cool. One that comes to mind right away is when he, in front of the whole class, told a girl that she was only in advanced math because her mother pitched such a fit and she didn't really belong there. No, I wasn't that parent.

She's in the gifted program. She's always been a B math student without much effort. It's our last year at this school. The letter clearly states it's a recommendation, but this county's policy seems lean very heavily toward dissuading parents from overriding these things.

Any experience or knowledge or advice on this?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,678,458 times
There is no more Algebra I anymore in GA -- you know that right? There can be levels but GA is now instructing this blended math...

Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 PM

214 posts, read 595,877 times
No, I didn't really know that. I've heard little about all the math changes, but I was looking at my options for her and the Georgia Virtual Academy offers it as Algebra I for Fall 2008. I guess the class titles haven't caught up with the curriculum changes.

Still, I'd like to see her keep going in the advanced class for math at school, instead of adding to her schedule and paying for the credit for "algebra".

Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM

247 posts, read 1,291,093 times
Develop a positive relationship with the principal and other "powers that be" at your daughter's school. Go and talk to them face to face about your concerns as well your daughters past performance. It has been my experience that the principal has the final say.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM

102 posts, read 365,279 times
As a high school math teacher, I can tell you that you have the final say as to where your child will be placed. You school may have you sign a waiver, but YOU can decide where your child will be. Hope that helps!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 PM

340 posts, read 1,578,621 times
I guess you can ask your daughter's school retest her for advanced math class as they do to other people. The other thing I can think of is that you can use your daughter's CRCT score to prove that she was in top level population. If all fails, you might have to teach her at home after school and stay current that way. BTW, what is required to be in IB program in high school?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,899,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze22 View Post
Here's the deal: My daughter was in advanced math last year (7th). She did great the first semester, then kind of tanked for about 6 weeks the second semester in all her classes. She recovered nicely, but was left with a C in adv. math (her only C and lowest grade). Her teacher, who was in his last year at the school due to a promotion, checked her off for regular math for 8th grade.
I'm full of sympathy. My daughter recently finished 8th grade in the accelerated math program. She's always been an A student in math, but "tanked" as you put it, in the second quarter. Although reluctant to buy into gender differences, normally, her dad and I figure maybe it was hormones - and perhaps that's even why girls seem to noticeably drop out of the accelerated math program during the middle school years.

We worked hard at coaching our daughter, who just seemed to have mislaid her usually quick mind, through her homework and through all the wailing about "I'm so stupid". The turning point actually seemed to be on the day before the winter break, when daughter apparently expressed distress about how badly she was doing, in class. She started to cry and her WONDERFUL teacher took her out in the hall, hugged her while she sobbed and said "but you're one of my BEST STUDENTS, how you're feeling about yourself is all wrong." Thank-you Mrs A! After the holidays, things started slowly getting better and by year-end our daughter had recovered her usual top-student form, and was recommended for Accel Math II in high school next year.

So ... I think these performance ups-and-downs are probably pretty normal in middle school, and I encourage you to do your best to keep your daughter in the accelerated track next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta