Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 27,735 times

Advertisements

I NEED HELP BIGTIME!!
IM LOOKING TO RELOCATE FROM CALIFORNIA TO NORCROSS GEORGIA.
AS YOU MIGHT KNOW THE HOUSES HERE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ARE OUTRAGES. AN EXAMPLE A 3 BED TWO BATH CAN COST YOU ANY WHERE FROM 400.000-700.000 DEPENDING OF THE LOCATION OF THE HOUSE.

THATS MY MAIN PURPOSE WHY I WANT TO MOVE TO GEORGIA ITS TO BUY A HOME. ANY FEEDBACK ABOUT NORCROSS GEORGIA. ( MY BROTHER IN LAW SAID ITS NICE, BUT IM PLANNING A TRIP IN APRIL TO SEE FOR MY SELF..

PLEASE HELP ME OUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 11,782 times
we just relocated to GA. my husband's job is in Norcross, and we bought a home in Sugar Hill. Our reasons to move are the same as yours. affordability. it is definitely culture shock here. they REALLY like beaurocracy. you have to go through so much just to get your kids into school. i digress, because i may start ranting! anyway. it is pretty. i like the trees. but i am sorely grieving the loss of my friends and my ocean. i look forward to an opportunity to get to the atlantic though. it is definitely a different world here. but without a mortgage, at least we won't drown financially.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:53 AM

985 posts, read 5,762,251 times
West Norcross and Historic Norcross are very expensive. At least $350,000. I even see townhouses at historic Norcross sell for $450,000. The rest of Norcross zip code (Gwinnett Village) I wouldn't anybody recommend to live in due to the crime rate.

If you want to cheaper option, Duluth, Suwanee are better options (Duluth is north of Norcross, Suwanee is north of Duluth). The house over there sell for 250,000+. Sugar Hill is even north of Suwanee and is probably cheaper. But that's going to tough on commute.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 27,735 times
Exclamation thanks for youre help

thanks for the help, like i mentioned i will be there in april to check it out for my self, and i will look at Duluth, Suwanee . i have a friend who also left california and moved to lawrenceville, i will check that city out as well.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Make sure pick right school district. Gwinnett school ranked from acceptable to awful. In Lawrenceville, Meadowcreek, South Gwinnett, BerkMar are just awful while peachtree Ridge and Collins Hill are acceptable. That's just greater lawrenceville alone. Check out ga doe for latest school infos.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 25,463 times
I concur with jsu66 on Norcross. We had lived in the eastern part for over a dozen years, but moved away about seven years ago. Further north or west is a better idea than much of Norcross now. Gwinnett schools are growing so fast you have to watch out or you can get redistricted from an excellent school to a dreadful one. Good luck, and and y'all come see us!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:11 PM

43 posts, read 191,410 times
I looked at some houses in Morningview subdivision which right off Satellite Blvd next to I-985. Anyone has any info about this area?
Nice houses, but the spread of the prices in the same subdivision is huge – you have $250K and $500K houses almost next to each other. That is 100% difference in price within 300 feet of each other. Does look strange to me.
Does anyone have any info about Suwanee elementary school?
Also, all the houses are in association. I hope they are not as bad as the ones we have in NJ. I know that NJ associations are terrible, they will literally run with the ruler around the neighborhood to make sure that the grass is within ¼ of an inch of allowed heights, no Christmas decorations, certain trees, certain landscaping, no to this, no to that…

Old 01-19-2007, 04:35 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times
Exclamation Researching Metro Atlanta/AJC

AJC=Atlanta Journal and Constitution/local paper
Online---ajc.com

I clicked 'Metro' and found this:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/index.html

SEARCHABLES:

Metro maps
The area's 10 worst intersections
People and jobs: How the region will grow
2006 election results: Statewide | 2006 runoff results | Map Georgia races | Map of national races
School performance

CRCT results
NEW! Metro district SAT scores
Adequate Yearly Progress
Discipline reports
'06 Home Sales Report
Hottest ZIP codes
Recent sales, by county
Full Report
Public records
Look up court documents,taxes, other public documents

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-19-2007 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: to add link

Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 PM

19 posts, read 65,349 times
Default Wait a darn minute.. Historic (downtown) Norcross is fine..

Since AMIL didn't say if (he she) had kids, it's possible that it's not an issue. I've lived in Historic Norcross for decades and it's a very nice small town that's VERY close to the major arteries.. no 30 extra minute drive time as you would if you live in Duluth or Suwanee, 45 extra minutes driving if Lawrenceville. The Atlanta Regional Commission recently voted for Buford Hwy from Chamblee to Duluth to be receiving state and federal $$ for seperate bike/walking trails and antique street lighting for a "hometown feel". The Historic Norcross is changing for the good, new city parks, new $4million civic center and etc. Also, by slowly phasing in strict zoning, building, remodeling and construction restrictions, the older homes will either be bulldozed for new or will need to conform to the historic restrictions when the owners go to get permits for painting, roofing, remodeling, windows or doors replaced. For example, Norcross just hired 2 new city Marshalls for code violation enforcement... no more $200 quick-fix patch jobs, the older trashy rental properties/landlords will sell due to price increases of properties. BTW, I've not seen any townhomes for $450,000 heck you can get brand new NICE NICE homes for less in Historic Distric, look at the corner of Lawrenceville St & Hunt Street, 2 just built, w/full basements, private rear yards w/large old-growth oak trees $425,000 ea. Besides, the Metro Transit Rail System will soon be coming to Historic Norcross at corner of Buford Hwy and Jimmy Carter on it's first leg north and IMO it will increase home prices here another 15-20%. GRANTED the local elementary schools have been over run by Latino's, but with the increase of home values, the rental properties will dissapear, so will the Latino problem. Anyway, many young urban professionals don't want kids, many empty-nesters no longer have kids.. or like my neighbors and myself, local private schools.

Good Luck in your April look-see!

Last edited by gocargo; 01-22-2007 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Check out Seven Norcross townhouse subdivision in historic Norcross on any real estate web site. It costs between 400,000 to 480,000. It is new development in historic Norcross. I like the whole historic Norcross neighborhood. A lot of characteristic homes. But they are very pricey.

To be fair, MARTA only started preliminary study on extending MARTA to Gwinnett place mall. But the plan needed approved by Gwinnett voters on the Referendum. The last time the planned was voted on more than ten years ago, it was 3 to 1 against. So it is still long odd.

Also, the Buford highway redevelopment is also at the study phrase. Gwinnett village has a lot of potential, but it will take a lot of money and time to clean all up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta