Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 16,185 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently relocated to Atlanta to take up a job at the CDC.

My husband holds an MBA degree in Finance and currently works for a manufacturing company. He will soon be moving to Atlanta and is kindly seeking advice on how best to get a Finance related job in the Metro area. He has had numerous interviews with no job offers.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,054 times
Default employment issue...

I will be starting employment with the CDC in August. Mind if I ask --which field are you presently working in at the CDC? My specialty area is public health/management.

In regards to your question, it seems as if your husband has constructed the right type of resume --since he's been contacted for numerous job interviews. There may however be an issue with sealing the deal (i.e. matching his skill set during the interview with the employer's needs). As you know, the financial sector is very competitive...but there's always a way to break in. Has he tried to contact his alumni MBA network? Most schools have a password protected website which lists the alums present place of employment and their contact info. I've used this source before and its proved to be invaluable. I'm sure there must be a few alums in the ATL area working in finance... All he has to do is contact them and ask for an employment lead.

Despite the reports that we are not in a recession, I tend to believe that we are. It seems as if the financial sector has lost a significant number of jobs, but where there's a will, there's a way!

He should use every possible avenue (i.e., attend job fairs, network with alums from his business school, contact employers that he has interviewed with and ask for feedback, join business associations for networking purposes, seek out headhunters, and possibly explore utilizing a career coach). The career coach may be able to help your husband pin-point how to convey all of his strengths during his interviews...

Best wishes!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,686,067 times
I'd recommend a consulting company like Accenture, etc. SimplyHired.com.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks sweet-tea30. I appreciate your response. My husband will follow your advice and hopefully something positive will come up from that.

As for the CDC - I am a Veterinarian & Molecular Biologist by training - my current work at CDC is focused on Molecular Epidemiology (Infectious Diseases).

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 AM

Thanks gt6974a. I appreciate your advice.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,216,934 times
Has he asked these hiring managers why he isn't getting the job? If he contacts them after the fact and is nice about it, managers should give him constructive criticism on his resume and interviewing skills.

I wouldn't stress out about it. He is getting interviews and is bound to get something. If he wasn't getting any interviews at all, then I would be worried!

BTW one of my good friends works in infectious diseases at the CDC (she's in herpes). She loves it there.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 61,230 times
Suntrust is the big financial player here. But of course UBS, Lynch, JPM, etc are here too. Depending on what he wants to do, or does currently, this type of work is all done in Buckhead. Perhaps he could network in Buckhead to find a job. Good Luck..

Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,216,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdre43 View Post
Suntrust is the big financial player here. But of course UBS, Lynch, JPM, etc are here too. Depending on what he wants to do, or does currently, this type of work is all done in Buckhead. Perhaps he could network in Buckhead to find a job. Good Luck..
Keep in mind his last job was at a manufacturing company, so I highly doubt he works in banking or wealth management. I'd actually say he's more likely to find a job in the suburban job centers (Alpharetta, Cumberland, Norcross, etc) as this is where many manufacturing companies are (assuming he wants to stay in the same field).

Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Keep in mind his last job was at a manufacturing company, so I highly doubt he works in banking or wealth management. I'd actually say he's more likely to find a job in the suburban job centers (Alpharetta, Cumberland, Norcross, etc) as this is where many manufacturing companies are (assuming he wants to stay in the same field).
Thanks so much for all your responses. His current responsibilities include cost accounting and financial analysis. He is searching for finance related jobs in all types of companies, not just manufacturing. Again, I appreciate your responses and advice.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 57,443 times
I"d recommend using a reputable (ask around) headhunter whose fees are paid by the employer. There are ones that specialize in finance, executives, etc. Many excellent firms rely soly on this headhunters and word of mouth from exisiting employees. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta