Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM

382 posts, read 1,888,681 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm just looking for some insight at Sales Rep opportunities. If anyone works as a buyer or rep for one of the retail companies at Americas Mart please send me a PM if you'd like to talk about your job. I don't live in Atlanta (I used to though) and I know of some opportunities in my region.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
I don't work for America's Mart but I know something of retail and a bit about the Merchandise Mart--gifts, furniture, specialty items.

My friend's DH sold furniture for years--now playing golf in Gulf Shores, AL.
He was something like Sean Hannity--not Irish, a Scot. They do furniture--North Carolina. Greensboro, Hickory and places like that.
He had to travel a lot--covered the SE. His daddy owned a furniture store over near Southwest High School back in the 40's/50's/60's. That was how B came to be interested in this.

I've worked for Tuesday AM and Chattahoochee General Store--specialty items, housewares, china and crystal---the reps come in and show the new lines and the merchants choose what they like. Chattahoochee General Store handled the Christmas Villages--??Dept 19??--something like that. Moderately high end--did well in the malls but they may only have one store in Cobb County now. Family owned --started by a Mom who had to support her kids after her husband died. Good family and one of my favorite jobs--sales associate.

Carolina Cookie Company would be a good employer. Out of NC--they sell all kinds of cookies--some for diabetics.

Gourmet Cookie Gift Baskets, Gourmet Cookie Gifts&Cookie Gifts Delivery

hth

Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM

382 posts, read 1,888,681 times
Thanks for the info. I'm really curious about how people got started doing those types of jobs and what kind of backgrounds companies might look for. I don't have sales experience outside of working retail jobs in my teens and early twenties. I have a huge interest in home decor, gift and stationery. One day I might even like to open my own gift and stationery boutique. I think this type of work experience would be helpful for me.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm really curious about how people got started doing those types of jobs and what kind of backgrounds companies might look for. I don't have sales experience outside of working retail jobs in my teens and early twenties. I have a huge interest in home decor, gift and stationery. One day I might even like to open my own gift and stationery boutique. I think this type of work experience would be helpful for me.

Then you need to email with my friend's sister. Their niece just got married last weekend and they are still celebrating in the Outer Banks but I called her and she'll be in touch.

Vickie/Victoria---has been involved with antiques and specialty items and once worked with entertainment people and restaurants. She could tell you what she knows.

Contact Carolina Cookies--I emailed the owner once and he just said, 'Send me a resume and I'll take a look at it.' Very nice person.

You could get started as a freelance/independent contractor stocking magazines, cards, flowers and anything/everything in retail stores. Travel around and make sure your product is displayed properly and that the merchant has enough.

Bil-Jac dog food would be another good company to work for.

Coca Cola--if you can drive a big truck and lift all the cases of coke.

QT--very good company.

Jewelry companies--costume--like ? '1928' they handle Victorian style jewelry--sold at places like Macy's.

What I do when I see someone with a job I like is just ask them how to do what they are doing. Most of them will tell you.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts would be a good company--you could apply to drive one of their little cars.

That is the sort of work I will do know. Picked the 'wrong' JOB/career--teaching, 19 yrs worth, M.Ed. ---The Woodstock people convinced me to 'Teach My Children' something better than I was taught--and I did that for a few--but they did not tell me 'The Painful Truth' that teaching frequently involves too much bureaucracy. Such Pain connected with that.

If you can do the JOB just say so. 'I AM, I CAN, I WANT'.... Employers need workers who are reliable, self-motivated and able to solve problems independently. Integrity, courtesy and a sense of humor will make you a valuable employee. Degrees or no degrees.

Work for yourself--or work as if you were working for yourself and you will do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: