Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:11 PM

213 posts, read 672,257 times

Advertisements

hello,
I was thinking about moving to atlanta in the summer and was wondering if anyone knew about the schools for children with special needs or any resources available. I have a five year old whom is headed to kindergarten and is hearing impaired, she is also on medicaid. At the moment we live in florida where she is in a special classroom that also offers speech and occupational therapy. If anyone has any information they could share or know of any schools offering programs or other resources that might make the transition easier for us i would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,788 times
Check with the Atlanta Speech School. It may be too late for next year, but I'm sure that they offer financial aid.

Atlanta Speech School: The Katherine Hamm Center (http://www.atlantaspeechschool.org/oral/ - broken link)

They have several types of programs there, including one for the hearing impaired.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:30 AM

41 posts, read 224,073 times
The Fayette County school system has good programs for special needs children. The school system in Fayette County is one of the very best in Georgia. The cities of Fayetteville and Peachtree City and all of the unincorporated area south of Fayetteville are wonderful places to live. South Fayette County is kind of like living in the country yet it's not too far south of Atlanta. You can check on the schools by going to the Fayette County Board of Education website - that would be fcboe.org. Good luck to ya!

Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 PM

213 posts, read 672,257 times
thank you for that insight i will definately check on both suggestions. Besides Being raised in oconee county fayetteville might just feel more like home.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,433 times
Talking Oakgrove Elementary

OAKGROVE ELEMENTARY, in Dekalb is good. Great neighboorhood. I have 3 who successfully went through with IEP's. The problem will be Middle and High School.
Lakeside High School just lost it's best Special Ed teachers, 4 out of 7. The Principal was so cruel to these wonderful teachers, that they choose to leave and easliy found other schools. The Principal is horrible when it comes to hiring bright and capable teachers, and has minimal leadership skills. It seems that she only hires those less competent than her, or a rumor is they go to church together. Crawford Lewis the County Super., and Moton attend the same Mega African American Church.
LAKESIDE used to be the best and the parents are very involved, so you have to work to destroy something so good.
Hopefully, by the time your children reaches 14 years old, we will have gotten it right, and Dekalb County will have hired a bright, creative, strong leader as LAKESIDE HIGH principal.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,814 times
Default looking for the best schools in peachtree for kids with add

My family is relocating to peachtree city soon, My son as add and has had such a bad experience with the fl schools. We are trying to make 6th grade a positive experience for him. He has an iep. If anyone could recommend a public or private school we would be very thankful.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Check with the Atlanta Speech School. It may be too late for next year, but I'm sure that they offer financial aid.

Atlanta Speech School: The Katherine Hamm Center (http://www.atlantaspeechschool.org/oral/ - broken link)

They have several types of programs there, including one for the hearing impaired.
I think you have until mid January. If the public schools cannot accomodate your child you should be eligible for funds (about $7000) you can use at the Atlanta Speech school. But you would need to get an IEP on your child at the public school you'd be attending. Also you can use flexible spending dollars. There are ways to get some of the tuition covered.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
Kaday

The $7000 that you quote is far more than most people are finding that they are getting -- the average is around 4K. And it only works if a student has been enrolled in grades K and up (pre school public programs don't count) and has an IEP.

The big story with SB 10 is how few families are actually finding it helpful. Most families can't afford to make up the difference in tuition. Most GA families don't have the discretionary income.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:18 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Kaday

The $7000 that you quote is far more than most people are finding that they are getting -- the average is around 4K. And it only works if a student has been enrolled in grades K and up (pre school public programs don't count) and has an IEP.

The big story with SB 10 is how few families are actually finding it helpful. Most families can't afford to make up the difference in tuition. Most GA families don't have the discretionary income.
I was actually quoting the $7000 (it was high sixes in retrospect) number on our quote from Cobb county. I know that you need to have an IEP filed by Oct of the previous year to qualify. But there are other routes like I mentioned flexible spending dollars (its your money but the pre tax helps) and there is financial aid. We spent a lot of time figuring out how we were going to afford private school for our child who is dyslexic with some other issues.

I think the OP may have to put her child in the public school system initially to benefit from its programs. It sounds like her child would have a decent chance of qualifying.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
My girlfriend is going through this process now. She has found a private school she wants to enroll her ADD daughter in, but the (private) school told her that if she doesn't finish out the school year in the public school system, she will lose her eligibility for tuition assistance. She was told the average assistance granted was about $4000.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta