Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM

25 posts, read 112,986 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I are moving from DC to Atlanta next week. We bought a house in Lake Claire and the closing date is May 30th. I want to go ahead and get the cable connected before we move. What do you recommend in Atlanta? What are your experiences with Comcast and Dish?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,266,001 times
WELCOME TO MY NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!!!!!

And to your question: I used DirecTV and while I have had bad experiences with installation (bad contractors) I've had good service.

I've never had Comcast but I've heard good things.

Dont' know about DishNetwork.

What street in LC?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Sutherland place

Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 AM

151 posts, read 527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadio View Post
Hi,
My wife and I are moving from DC to Atlanta next week. We bought a house in Lake Claire and the closing date is May 30th. I want to go ahead and get the cable connected before we move. What do you recommend in Atlanta? What are your experiences with Comcast and Dish?

Thanks.
Comcast has one of the worst customer service records of ANY company. When I've had to deal with them their employees are always polite, but they seem to be incompetent when it comes to correcting problems. I will be glad Atlanta has more non-dish options for television programming. I won't switch to a dish for aesthetic reasons, but I hear they aren't much better anyway.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 AM

Oh, I know exactly where that is.

Forgive me if we've discussed this before but are you already instate? Any kids sending to MAry Lin? Need any info about the hood (besides cable)?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 AM

We are moving next weekend. We are living in DC currently. We do not have kids at the moment. I am somewhat familiar with the neighborhood, but it would be good if I hear more. I will be commuting to Downtown, so I will take Dekalb Ave I guess. It looks like the subdivision is located right in the middle of two marta stations and it is really not in walking distance.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM

If I were you I'd bike to MARTA and take MARTA downtown. Don't drive it you don't have to. The MARTA is only about a mile from where you will be...it's a short walk. But,you can take bikes on MARTA, or you can chain it to the bike racks there. If you're big into biking places you'll probably eventually find a route to bike from your house to downtown. I know others who do that.

But, when you're new somewhere it's also nota bad idea to drive around until you get used to it. When we first moved to the hood I wasn't used to living in a walkable area so I drove more than I needed to. But as I got used to stuff then I walked more. I used to think a mile wasn't a walkable distance...

Okay, let's carry this over to your LakeClaire thread so we can streamline it all.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
There isn't a good cable/dish company in Atlanta.

Some older houses have never been wired for cable. If this is the case, good luck getting Comcast to wire you up. They'll set up an appointment to do the work, and not show up. If you want cable, make sure the house you're buying is set up for it. If it isn't, ask the seller to take care of that. (edit. since your closing in next week, it's probably too late to get the seller to do anything more.)

Lake Claire, like most older neighborhoods in Atlanta, is a neighborhood full of large shade trees. It's very possible you will not be able to get dish reception unless you cut down a bunch of trees...a horrible idea which will DEFINITELY make you the neighborhood jackass.

Both of these examples are from my personal experience.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 AM

Hmm...never really heard my neighbors (his/her neighbors soon) complain about that. My dish reception is fine. So is my next door neighbors.

But cable companies, in general, are notorious for bad service with installation.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,623,598 times
We just got hooked up to Comcast. Other than it taking NINE DAYS for an appointment, and the installation guys being total jerks, (right now I have no idea what my email address is) thus far it's okay. We had Knology before, but they don't have it here. Which is strange as I thought Knology was headquartered out of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta