Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 03:03 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Atlanta is the City of Atlanta. Anyone who thinks otherwise got pushed through grade school because people were likely tired of you.

Metro Atlanta are the suburbs are literally the MSA.

The longer-lasting culture of Atlanta is Fulton/Clayton/Dekalb/Gwinnett; few except for recent transplants or suburban hipsters ever think of Cobb or Fayette when they think of Atlanta's culture over history. And that's fine. Everyone doesn't have to be "Atlanta" or want it.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 04:01 PM

1,005 posts, read 731,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Um, no. Regardless of the Atlanta proper city limits (which almost no one knows or cares about), Metro Atlanta is at least those 5 counties, and really it's now days at least 10 or more counties, is all straight up definitely the Atlanta suburban area, and most people refer to the general area as Atlanta.
Um, no. And if you want to extend Atlanta beyond its MSA, that's your perogative.

Quote:
And if you're gonna knock off one of those 5, it would be Gwinnett. It's the only one that doesn't have a section inside the perimeter, and its central county seat (Lawrenceville) is literally twice as far from Downtown Atlanta as either Cobb's (Marietta), or Clayton's (Jonesboro), which are both not that far from Atlanta. Whereas Gwinnett is a massive, mostly far-OTP, until recently rural area, that has an entire other suburban county (DeKalb) between it and Atlanta. Cobb, particularly Marietta, was already a well developed suburb of Atlanta when most of Gwinnett outside of its little railroad towns was mostly all trees and farms. Marietta even had a streetcar connection with Atlanta.
My post has nothing to do with this. It only talks about city proper boundaries, and MSA standards. I'm no amateurish cartographer, so I am not going to take issues with any of the boundaries people want to extend or argue for. My post was not a debate or to ruffle the feathers of people who don't live in a contiguous county to Fulton. Have at it.

Quote:
Also, modern Cobb has a high-rise district edge city (which only Fulton, Cobb, and DeKalb have), located in an area that has an Atlanta address. This associates Cobb much more with Atlanta. Smyrna and Vinings are just a short drive away from Midtown via I-75, no further out than Clairmont or Shallowford are on I-85.

The Atlanta Braves play in Cobb. Cobb is definitely part of the Atlanta area. So are a number of counties.
And so you misread my post. I am saying "culturally." The Braves played in the city of Atlanta and shook hands with Atlanta officials before they left for another county. So the Braves already had a buy-in, which I do not attribute to Cobb. Also, having an Atlanta address does not mean someone lives in Atlanta. That's leftovers from post offices without a need to do expensive paperwork if they have the right zip code. People in the City of Decatur do it to—but never vice versa. Why? It's really simple and not meant to offend but people who live in the City of Atlanta use their Atlanta addresses, and not Sandy Springs or Decatur.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:22 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Quote:
Um, no. And if you want to extend Atlanta beyond its MSA, that's your perogative.
Still not even sure what you're saying. This is the Atlanta MSA, that we're discussing. It's 29 counties, which is most definitely including Cobb. Even including some that border Alabama:

https://dch.georgia.gov/sites/dch.ge...Area%20Map.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_metropolitan_area

That's the area that has the 6 million population. It's a huge area.

The CSA (Combined Statistical Area) adds 10 additional counties, for a total of 39 counties, and includes Athens, Gainesville, and Rome, and the CSA population is close to adding another million, I think it's 6.8 something.

Quote:
I am saying "culturally."
And, you are wrong. Culturally, the Metro Atlanta area extends far outside the city limits of Atlanta, and pretty far outside the perimeter, which, because the counties are so small and numerous, includes a ton of counties.

People who live in Conyers I'm sure realize that they don't live in Atlanta proper, they live in the suburbs, but they still generally live in the Atlanta area, and most probably have commuting and other patterns as such. And that is Rockdale County.

Quote:
Why? It's really simple and not meant to offend but people who live in the City of Atlanta use their Atlanta addresses, and not Sandy Springs or Decatur.
Well, both of my last 2 addresses in Georgia were Atlanta, and neither were inside the City of Atlanta. One was in Sandy Springs, and I usually used Atlanta 30342. Then I lived in unincorporated ITP Cobb County, in Atlanta 30339.

I was born at Northside Hospital, which is a little north of the city limits, and I always say that I was born in Atlanta. At the time I was born it was in unincorporated Fulton County with an Atlanta address. Now, it's located in Sandy Springs.

Plenty of areas in DeKalb also are in Atlanta, but they are not in the city limits. For example 30345. Some of my cousins live in that large area, which is definitely not Decatur or Tucker.

But even if you do live in Decatur or Tucker, you basically live in Atlanta. And if you live in the City of Decatur, you live in in-town Atlanta.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:32 PM

450 posts, read 272,499 times
It's 2022, Cobb is more Atlanta than Atlanta is.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:42 PM

I think the confusion is that Cobb is definitely not in-town Atlanta, and no one is saying as such. And the previous Cobb leaders back in the day (not the majority vibe now, which is led by Democrats), and certain outspoken conservative citizens, were culturally hostile to in-town Atlanta and the city.

Cobb of today is a diverse suburban area of suburban Atlanta, more than 50% non-white folks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb_C...ia#2020_census

It's also the most well-educated county, I believe the wealthiest county, and one of, if not the healthiest/least obese county in Georgia. And known for having well-rated schools.

Point is, it's definitely the Atlanta suburbs.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 932,600 times
The urban area is inside I-285 (ITP) with Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, Old Fourth Ward, West Midtown, etc.

Then you have the counties with your typical suburbs in Gwinnett, Forsyth, North Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb, you can also add places like Peachtree City. All these places have over 2,000 people per square mile and some over 3,000. Those areas combined is around 75% of the population.

Outside of that area, is the majority of the land of the MSA but not many people (around 25%) and you have like 50 - 150 people per square mile with a lot of farms and forests. A lot of these areas voted red while the core inner counties went blue. So on a map it looks like the Atlanta MSA might be a red area because a lot of the land would show up red but that's not where most of the people are.

Last edited by ShenardL; 04-03-2022 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 04:30 AM

1,005 posts, read 731,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Still not even sure what you're saying. This is the Atlanta MSA, that we're discussing. It's 29 counties, which is most definitely including Cobb. Even including some that border Alabama:

https://dch.georgia.gov/sites/dch.ge...Area%20Map.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_metropolitan_area

That's the area that has the 6 million population. It's a huge area.
Thanks for the link and sure, that's helpful then. Being wrong is not doomsday.

Quote:
The CSA (Combined Statistical Area) adds 10 additional counties, for a total of 39 counties, and includes Athens, Gainesville, and Rome, and the CSA population is close to adding another million, I think it's 6.8 something.
I don't care about CSA.

Quote:
And, you are wrong. Culturally, the Metro Atlanta area extends far outside the city limits of Atlanta, and pretty far outside the perimeter, which, because the counties are so small and numerous, includes a ton of counties.
Again, I don't care about "Metro Atlanta culture." My last two posts were about Atlanta's distinct culture, of which the 29 county-MSA you bring up, is not responsible for or relevant to. There are a handful of counties people think of when they think Atlanta-culture—not Atlanta area counties.

Quote:
Well, both of my last 2 addresses in Georgia were Atlanta, and neither were inside the City of Atlanta. One was in Sandy Springs, and I usually used Atlanta 30342. Then I lived in unincorporated ITP Cobb County, in Atlanta 30339.
Me too. I stayed off Glenridge Dr. That cute post office near the Roswell intersection (and other post offices) disagree with you. If you're ever in the area again, ask your postman or a rep there, like I did. "You are in Sandy Springs. A lot of people put Atlanta and that is wrong. But it doesn't matter because all the post office needs is the correct street and zip code."

Quote:
I was born at Northside Hospital, which is a little north of the city limits, and I always say that I was born in Atlanta. At the time I was born it was in unincorporated Fulton County with an Atlanta address. Now, it's located in Sandy Springs.
I mean, that's a choice, right? Even if it's a few degrees from fact.

Quote:
Plenty of areas in DeKalb also are in Atlanta, but they are not in the city limits. For example 30345. Some of my cousins live in that large area, which is definitely not Decatur or Tucker.
Again, having Atlanta in your address is not proof of accuracy or truth. It's leftovers from a financially gutted post office that's not playing boundary police.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:50 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
It's 2022, Cobb is more Atlanta than Atlanta is.
What does this even mean?

Old 04-04-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
There are a handful of counties people think of when they think Atlanta-culture—not Atlanta area counties.
Yeah, and for most people they definitely include Cobb County. The Big Chicken, anyone? Six Flags? Shooting the 'hooch? The Cobb Cloverleaf? The Marietta Square? Kennesaw Mountain? White Water? Are you saying none of that is in the Atlanta metro? Which metro is it all in, then?

And you're saying that far-OTP little town Dacula is in, or culturally part of Atlanta, though? Just because that's in Gwinnett?

I lived in both those suburban counties for years, and I just feel like you couldn't be more wrong to bully Cobb like that. When I lived in Lawrenceville, a lot of people never went down to Atlanta or associated with it, but when I lived in Cobb, in-town Atlanta was right next door, particularly the West Midtown side, and I went down there all the time.

MARTA was almost as convenient too, in a couple of ways. One, unlike Gwinnett, MARTA actually has a couple of bus routes in Cobb, in the Cumberland area and Six Flags area. And, while I wished there was an equivalent station like Doraville for the NW side, having HE Holmes station was my go-to for accessing the system, especially for Atlanta United games.

Which, btw, Atlanta United have their practice facilities in Cobb, 2 miles outside the perimeter in Marietta. You better tell them to move way out to Buford, so that they can move back to the Atlanta culture.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:47 AM

6,568 posts, read 12,070,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What does this even mean?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe because of the Braves stadium?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta