Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM

18 posts, read 110,434 times

Advertisements

I have already file for Homestead Exemption. Now what happens.
How does this process work ? Will I get a refund at the end of the year ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM

304 posts, read 1,434,439 times
Which county are you in?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM

We live in Paulding County

Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM

23,622 posts, read 44,391,528 times
The next step I believe is that you (and your mortgage company) should first receive an acknowledgement of receipt for your application.
The adjustment should appear on your next bill...your mortgage company should receive this as well so that they can adjust your escrow account.
I filed early this year and just received a rebate check from my mortgage co.
Note that every municipality has different procedures...the city of Decatur, for example, will not send correspondence directly to the mortgagor...so you are responsible for forwarding this information. What a pain.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,282,717 times
Decatur doesn't file at the Dekalb Tax Commissioner's Office? My property (city of Atlanta) is filed at Dekalb. I don't have to refile every year. IT's automatically carried over. It's not the same for Decatur.

I can tell you that MY mortgage company has not recognized my homestead exemption. As some of you know, I bought a duplex. It had been the previous owner's investment property so there was no homestead exemption. I bought it after the first of the year so I couldn't file for homestead exemption until 11 months after I bought it. I got a receipt from Dekalb county shortly after. However, not long ago I got a notice from my mortgage company that my monthly payment would be going up to reflect increasing property taxes. I'm thinking...how can that be? Shouldn't it go down significantly since filing homestead exemption?

Anyway, I called the county and they weren't helpful. I called my mortgage company and they told me to get back to them when I got a tax bill reflecting the changes.

I have no idea what's going on (I'm Towelly saying this).

Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM

23,622 posts, read 44,391,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Decatur doesn't file at the Dekalb Tax Commissioner's Office? My property (city of Atlanta) is filed at Dekalb. I don't have to refile every year. IT's automatically carried over. It's not the same for Decatur.
No, I had to file separately with Decatur and DeKalb.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,911,250 times
pless, mortgage companies seem to put a lot of effort into maximizing escrow payments, because it's to their advantage, since they don't have to pay interest on the amounts held in escrow. Eventually they'll adjust downward, but only when the regulations governing escrow say they have to. Don't hold your breath!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Thank you for the positive advise LovinDecatur

Old 05-20-2008, 05:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,558,335 times
If you just mailed it in yesterday than it won't be effective until NEXT year (2009). You have to get the application in before March 1 in most counties for it to be effective in that particular year. If you just bought your current residence this year, hopefully the former owners did not move prior to March, so their homestead exemption would still be in effect on your property this year (and they would not be able to apply for their new house this year). Unfortunately, if they had already moved their exemption to their new property, you are kind of screwed this year and should start squirrelling away some money for when you have to pay the difference in Oct/Nov.

Also, if you moved from another house on which you had the exemption, make sure you formally cancel that exemption from that property and submit the confirmation letter with your application for new exemption. You are only allowed to exempt one property at a time and it will usually automatically renew each year on the same property unless you request otherwise.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 AM

45 posts, read 196,794 times
We are closing on a house in Fulton co. in early June. Will we automatically get the filing form at closing, or is something we have to track down separately?
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: