Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,102,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentsto3 View Post
We are closing on a house in Fulton co. in early June. Will we automatically get the filing form at closing, or is something we have to track down separately?
Thanks.
I don't think that the closing attorney gives you the form at closing. However, you can complete the form online and it will be effective next year.

Fulton County Online - Homestead Exemption (http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/index.php?Itemid=197&id=259&option=com_content&tas k=view - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 110,300 times
I called my mortgage co. Wells Fargo. They said they do not do property tax refunds.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead3 View Post
I called my mortgage co. Wells Fargo. They said they do not do property tax refunds.
A homestead exemption is not the same as property tax refunds. Perhaps it was a languaging question? I don't think that a mortgage company has a choice to honor a homestead exemption or not because the County and/or the City issues the exemption.

For example, Fulton County reduces the taxable value of a home by $15,000 if you have the homestead exemption. After the tax is reduced, the tax bill is forwarded to your mortgage company to pay out of the escrow account. The only thing that the mortgage company "cares" about is that there is enough money in your escrow account to cover all the taxes.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 AM

23,499 posts, read 44,172,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead3 View Post
My mortgage company is also Wells Fargo, and I did receive a rebate check for my escrow overage about a week ago.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,897,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My mortgage company is also Wells Fargo, and I did receive a rebate check for my escrow overage about a week ago.
An escrow overage rebate, however, is not a property tax refund. It just means your mortgagee was holding too much money (more than the law allows) in your escrow account, over the past year.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM

23,499 posts, read 44,172,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
An escrow overage rebate, however, is not a property tax refund. It just means your mortgagee was holding too much money (more than the law allows) in your escrow account, over the past year.
That's what I was explaining...it was due to the drop in taxes from homestead exemption that compelled them to return the overage. The OP was asking the mortgagor about 'refunds' so I'm sure they misunderstood the ???.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM

200 posts, read 984,181 times
Default Homestead Exemption

We bought a house in Dekalb County in August 2007. Unfortunately, there was no homestead exemption on the house.

There was nothing we could do about the remainder of 2007, but as soon as we could, we filed for homestead exemption for 2008.

We called the county to find out when the homestead exemption would kick in (and we could start paying lower taxes) and were told not until after 2008 tax bills are issued (summer 2008).

Is this correct?

Once we have our 2008 tax assessment, what should we do next?

Signed,
Confused in Unincorporated Decatur

Old 05-22-2008, 06:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,543,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
We bought a house in Dekalb County in August 2007. Unfortunately, there was no homestead exemption on the house.

There was nothing we could do about the remainder of 2007, but as soon as we could, we filed for homestead exemption for 2008.

We called the county to find out when the homestead exemption would kick in (and we could start paying lower taxes) and were told not until after 2008 tax bills are issued (summer 2008).

Is this correct?

Once we have our 2008 tax assessment, what should we do next?

Signed,
Confused in Unincorporated Decatur
You should be fine, since you have applied for the exemption and the county has acknowledged you have it for 2008. The assessment won't show any evidence of this, as that is simply the value on which the initial tax will be based. You probably should find out your adjusted property tax here in the next month or two (no later than July). I was in the exact same boat as you last year and am eagerly awaiting to see the impact of the exemption after being scalped last year! Once you get your tax bill, and it is lower than what your mortgage company is charging you to build up escrow, call your mortgage company and ask to have them re-analyze your escrow account so that they will adjust down your monthly payments to take into effect the new property tax. It should cut your monthly payments by a decent amount, since it will probably be over-accrued for 2008 at this point.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,267,172 times
globalnomad, you sound like me. I filed and when I called the county, also Dekalb, they told me something similar. The mortgage company acted like I must be crazy.

spacelord, thanks for the tip on what to do once we get our tax bills!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM

200 posts, read 984,181 times
Default Homestead Exemption

Thank you Spacelord!

We greatly appreciate helpful information on what to do next.

Global Nomad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: