Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 12:50 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,355,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Actually I just mock meme, any one who views the meme as accurate is ironically racist.

Most things are not racist but racists view minority as stupid which is again ironically the definition of racist. Otherwise if you fear minority are going call you racist for no reason then you are indeed racist. You have to demonize views of minorities as stupid to have that view in the first place.

You said I ignore context no...... the meme itself ignore context..... which is my point, The meme says stuff like if a "White person - move in - gentrification - racist". The meme purposely remove context. to exploited the illogical thought process of racist. It present as if your white and you simply do the following things you would be call racist for no reason. Which actually there context to if or if not action is racist which again meme ignore. So it exist for racists to fearmonger to other whites that your next cause apparently minorities must be dumb according to that meme..

Not only doesn't a white person moving in a minority neighborhood doesn't automatically equal gentrification but gentrification is as problematic as is but it's not racism in itself. It's only become racist if there's an conscious social goal of displacing said group, or trying justify said group being displace. Otherwise there a big difference from just a white person move in from white person move in and want the minorities there to move out. but again meme is made purposely to remove context so racist to fearmonger to whites your being called racist for no reason and it's saying minorities are dumb at the same time.

----

And your last two sentence hence you ignore the premise of what you was responding to. "Bringing up Hilter also shows the absurdity of your point" I did not bring up Hitler to say someone was Hitler rather I did it to contrast that there are different levels of racism. My point was the right wing equate being called racist as being called Hilter, there for if you call a right winger racist or a action as racist they're going to refuted like you call them hilter, when actually a non racist person can make a racist action. Like laughing at a racist joke for example doesn't make someone racist. There a sensitivity to the word racist itself on the right it's a buzz word. Like either your 100% gandhi or 100% Hilter. And that's why your here to deny racial motivation in 1960's white flight because of that sensitivity. Because your equating the racial motivation in 1960's white flight as being bigots. When actually most where victim of the time thinking and weren't actually deeply racist people. Today we know it's beyond silly but for them segregation end and they had a fear of the unknown. They saw the wealthy whites move out of cities first, some others did the same. but because of this sensitivity you can't actually talk to some on the far right over racism in history.

The 'meme' is a parody it isn't meant to be taken seriously. It is to show how absurd things are in current times. You fell for it. Congrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 02:24 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Actually I just mock meme, any one who views the meme as accurate is ironically racist.

Most things are not racist but racists view minority as stupid which is again ironically the definition of racist. Otherwise if you fear minority are going call you racist for no reason then you are indeed racist. You have to demonize views of minorities as stupid to have that view in the first place.

You said I ignore context no...... the meme itself ignore context..... which is my point, The meme says stuff like if a "White person - move in - gentrification - racist". The meme purposely remove context. to exploited the illogical thought process of racist. It present as if your white and you simply do the following things you would be call racist for no reason. Which actually there context to if or if not action is racist which again meme ignore. So it exist for racists to fearmonger to other whites that your next cause apparently minorities must be dumb according to that meme..

Not only doesn't a white person moving in a minority neighborhood doesn't automatically equal gentrification but gentrification is as problematic as is but it's not racism in itself. It's only become racist if there's an conscious social goal of displacing said group, or trying justify said group being displace. Otherwise there a big difference from just a white person move in from white person move in and want the minorities there to move out. but again meme is made purposely to remove context so racist to fearmonger to whites your being called racist for no reason and it's saying minorities are dumb at the same time.

----

And your last two sentence hence you ignore the premise of what you was responding to. "Bringing up Hilter also shows the absurdity of your point" I did not bring up Hitler to say someone was Hitler rather I did it to contrast that there are different levels of racism. My point was the right wing equate being called racist as being called Hilter, there for if you call a right winger racist or a action as racist they're going to refuted like you call them hilter, when actually a non racist person can make a racist action. Like laughing at a racist joke for example doesn't make someone racist. There a sensitivity to the word racist itself on the right it's a buzz word. Like either your 100% gandhi or 100% Hilter. And that's why your here to deny racial motivation in 1960's white flight because of that sensitivity. Because your equating the racial motivation in 1960's white flight as being bigots. When actually most where victim of the time thinking and weren't actually deeply racist people. Today we know it's beyond silly but for them segregation end and they had a fear of the unknown. They saw the wealthy whites move out of cities first, some others did the same. but because of this sensitivity you can't actually talk to some on the far right over racism in history.
^^^ Well said. I'm glad you took the time to break it down.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
A parent has filed a federal complaint alleging that her child's school, Mary Linn Elementary, alleging it segregated classes based on race.

The details are as follows:

A black mother discovered this segregation policy when she asked that her child be placed in a classroom of a teacher's she thought that would be a good fit. The assistant principal's response was

Keep in mind the principal is a black woman and she has decided that it is better for all of the students to be separated by race.

Here is a link to the WSB -TV article:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/par...CXJTESRXUTMJE/

It is stunning that in 2020 a school official would have the nerve to attempt to do this and it is even more shocking that a black principal would be the one choosing this - what was the point of Brown vs. the Board of Education?

It seems that this may be a consequence of the gentrification of Intown Atlanta neighborhoods where the public schools which had been overwhelmingly majority black are now becoming majority white - the child's grade has six class rooms which are all white and two class rooms which are all white.

When the parent insisted that her child be placed in a classroom with white students, the response was that her child would be "isolated."

The parent recorded her conversation with the administrator where she said the following: "

Imagine the outcry if a white school administrator in a school which was transitioning to majority black had said, "I just wish we had more white kids."

The principal is obviously not happy about the demographic changes which have happened in the East Atlanta neighborhoods and her response seems to be to separate the declining black student population in racially segregated classrooms. How she thought she could away with this is astounding.
nah, its a consequence of racism, regardless, of the mix of people in the neighborhood changing.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:57 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,944,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
This is unfortunate. But let’s not rule out the possibility that this “policy” is in place at the behest of the majority parents at this school.

Generally, I have found that in APS schools, particularly those in gentrifying or gentrified communities, the leadership usually does what the parents want. And I have seen and heard many, many, instances of White parents not wanting their children to be in classes with Black students — and almost never the other way around.

I wonder why none of the white parents noticed or complained about this practice until now?

Just some food for thought…
That’s total BS.

Any white parents capable of saying something like that wouldn’t live in a majority Black city nor would they send their children to public school in that city where it would be assumed that most students are Black.

I’m telling y’all, that this is the perfect instance of where racism is being perpetuated by misconceptions or drawing on old stereotypes like “that sounds like something white parents would say or prefer.”

I want to move on past this unproductive topic that’s hamstrung his country into a standstill and prevented us from evolving.

I’m 52 and was educated in NC public schools, mine 70% Black. It had been totally ingrained in young people’s minds ever since that we are all equal and the color of our skin should not and does not define or limit who we are nor does it determine what rights or privileges we are entitled to.

This principal might believe it’s in the best interests of Black children to do this but they are dead wrong.

When I as a white man go shopping at Walmart on MLK and make eye contact or speak to the younger Black shoppers they look at me like WTH? They aren’t accustomed to engaging with anyone other than their own crowd.

That cannot be a good habit in order to achieve a long happy and successful life.

Racism is largely being continued by those who continue thinking and talking about it, so stop unless all along you have wanted to form a special protected class of citizens who aren’t bound to the same rules and regulations of everyone else.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:09 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
That’s total BS.

Any white parents capable of saying something like that wouldn’t live in a majority Black city nor would they send their children to public school in that city where it would be assumed that most students are Black.

I’m telling y’all, that this is the perfect instance of where racism is being perpetuated by misconceptions or drawing on old stereotypes like “that sounds like something white parents would say or prefer.”

I want to move on past this unproductive topic that’s hamstrung his country into a standstill and prevented us from evolving.

I’m 52 and was educated in NC public schools, mine 70% Black. It had been totally ingrained in young people’s minds ever since that we are all equal and the color of our skin should not and does not define or limit who we are nor does it determine what rights or privileges we are entitled to.

This principal might believe it’s in the best interests of Black children to do this but they are dead wrong.

When I as a white man go shopping at Walmart on MLK and make eye contact or speak to the younger Black shoppers they look at me like WTH? They aren’t accustomed to engaging with anyone other than their own crowd.

That cannot be a good habit in order to achieve a long happy and successful life.

Racism is largely being continued by those who continue thinking and talking about it, so stop unless all along you have wanted to form a special protected class of citizens who aren’t bound to the same rules and regulations of everyone else.
Keep reading the thread. But until then, I’ll reiterate that “I have seen and heard many, many, instances of White parents not wanting their children to be in classes with Black students — and almost never the other way around.”

Perhaps I’ll clarify by inferring that they meant “mostly” Black students or “certain” Black students. But there are several ways to segregate even a predominantly Black school — although this school in question is overwhelming white. Nevertheless, I don’t have any reason to lie.

And secondly, the Black kids acting surprised that you spoke to them at the MLK Walmart is a testament to the fact that White people probably rarely do. That doesn’t mean that they disapprove or anything like that. And you aren’t the only White person that shops there. Could it be that they look like “WTH” for another reason besides (or at least in addition to) you simply being White?

Back to schools, I’ve also seen many instances where the most hardened Black kids from the heart of Vine City or Mechanicsville are extremely cool and comfortable with their White teachers because those particular White teachers treat them with genuine respect. However, that is not always the case — even in majority Black Atlanta.

Last edited by equinox63; 08-28-2021 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-28-2021, 08:19 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
The principal did not create the racial imbalance at the school, but she was making an effort to deal with the issues that are the result of that imbalance. There was not going to be a perfect solution, but in this case the principal decided that the black children were most at risk for lasting and preventable harm and should be accommodated for. Of course what was originally protrayed in the media was exactly the opposite.

Folks have been conditioned to be triggered by certain words, and there are no shortage of people who are willing to take advantage of this. Add to that social media being so quick to give folks partial, misleading, and false information— folks often become emotionally tied to a narrative before all the facts come to light —so facts become meaningless. No matter what happened at the school, whether what the principal did was right, wrong, or somewhere in between, how it was originally presented in the media and social media was intentionally misleading and protrayed to illicit emotion and not thought.
I don't disagree with you.

But the principal was clearly pretty ham handed.

Old 08-28-2021, 08:47 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,944,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Keep reading the thread. But until then, I’ll reiterate that “I have seen and heard many, many, instances of White parents not wanting their children to be in classes with Black students — and almost never the other way around.”

Perhaps I’ll clarify by inferring that they meant “mostly” Black students or “certain” Black students. But there are several ways to segregate even a predominantly Black school — although this school in question is overwhelming white. Nevertheless, I don’t have any reason to lie.

And secondly, the Black kids acting surprised that you spoke to them at the MLK Walmart is a testament to the fact that White people probably rarely do. That doesn’t mean that they disapprove or anything like that. And you aren’t the only White person that shops there. Could it be that they look like “WTH” for another reason besides (or at least in addition to) you simply being White?

Back to schools, I’ve also seen many instances where the most hardened Black kids from the heart of Vine City or Mechanicsville are extremely cool and comfortable with their White teachers because those particular White teachers treat them with genuine respect. However, that is not always the case — even in majority Black Atlanta.
Ok I see the mostly or certain that you added and I can see that happening.

But I don’t think there’s anything wrong or racist about either.

All human beings want to be surrounded by at least some others that look like them and that identify with.

It’s universally known and accepted to think that any parent of a minority child would strongly want their child to be placed with peers they identify with. That has been a central topic of integration in America all along and rightfully should be. A Black Barbie, baby doll, a Black male school teacher that a boy can identify with, fireman, Doctor, president, now with my favorite VP Kamala, we have all the diverse heros to try to emulate. Yay! (Asians not yet).

But I wish everyone could see white parents wanting their children to be with others looking like them is just as innocuous, and not automatically think the worst.

It’s like prince harry and his wife’s baby. Anyone with common sense would wonder to what degree the child’s skin will be shaded.

There’s nothing wrong with either family wondering about that. But by the media making it front page news, it perpetuates the notion that one shade of skin color is better than another which it’s not. Another example of subverted messages of racism being continued which is such a shame,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta