Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 995,867 times

Advertisements

Real quick. What if I were to simply advertise it on Craigs List? Nothing risked there, correct?

I mean, we really don't have to sell it, I'm just curious as to if we'd get any bites. Who knows, perhaps it would even sell. I'd certainly price it modestly. I wouldn't even put a "For Sale" sign up in the yard. IMO, the FSBO signs look tacky.

What say you?

(PS: I'm already anticipating the realtors on this board to tell me the 101 reasons I should never do this. Trust me, I already know all that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,936,871 times
I've known only one person who ever sold their house on Craigs List successfully, and they waded through a ton of crap to do it. Lots of calls at 2am, people who speak languages you've never heard of, emails from "foreign investors", yadda yadda. They did wind up selling it to a normal family who saw the ad, and the ad was free, so in the end it worked out, but they again, went through a lot of junk to get to that point, and the wife said they would definately use a realtor the next time they sold a house.

So, unless you SERIOUSLY are out there to sell your house and need to explore all avenues of advertising to get the word out about it, I don't personally see a reason why you'd want to do it just for the heck of it to see if it "could" sell. Besides the above-mentioned crazy stuff you'd have to deal with, it's not fair to the actual GOOD potential buyers who might see the ad with high hopes of, "Honey, look! This is the house for us!", only to find out the "sellers" weren't really that serious about it.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I've known only one person who ever sold their house on Craigs List successfully, and they waded through a ton of crap to do it. Lots of calls at 2am, people who speak languages you've never heard of, emails from "foreign investors", yadda yadda. They did wind up selling it to a normal family who saw the ad, and the ad was free, so in the end it worked out, but they again, went through a lot of junk to get to that point, and the wife said they would definately use a realtor the next time they sold a house.

So, unless you SERIOUSLY are out there to sell your house and need to explore all avenues of advertising to get the word out about it, I don't personally see a reason why you'd want to do it just for the heck of it to see if it "could" sell. Besides the above-mentioned crazy stuff you'd have to deal with, it's not fair to the actual GOOD potential buyers who might see the ad with high hopes of, "Honey, look! This is the house for us!", only to find out the "sellers" weren't really that serious about it.
My thought was to not provide a phone number. I'd simply use Craigs List as a contact liaison. If interested, potential buyers would be screened via meeting (by appointment only) at local coffee shop, or such. Then go from there.

Oh, we'd be "serious" about selling it all right. What I meant was, we're not in a position where we HAVE to sell. That said, though, should a reasonable offer come in, it would be good as sold. I wouldn't play with people in that way.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,329,868 times
My friends in Jacksonville tried unsuccessfully to sell their house using the traditional methods.

Then they put it on Craigslist and it sold almost immediately. I don't know the specifics, but they seemed very happy with the experience.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,748,591 times
you have nothing to lose so you might as well give it a shot. I always look on CL for FSBO listings. Pictures are very helpful.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
......Pictures are very helpful.
Yep. I plan to have a couple on the main page, along with a link to a wide selection of shots.

We'll see how it goes. Yes, I am aware of the potential hassles/dangers of marketing in this manner. I plan to take it wisely.

Oh, and the house had already been listed with a qualified realtor for half of last year without success.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM

215 posts, read 553,711 times
If you have a realtor why don't you have them post it on craigslist? Now a days realtors should be posting on the web or they are missing out on another audience.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaark View Post
If you have a realtor why don't you have them post it on craigslist? Now a days realtors should be posting on the web or they are missing out on another audience.
Had a realtor. She moved to Auburn. Not really interested in going that route again.............at this point.

Nonetheless, I'm still internally debating all this. More or less was fishing to see if anyone had any success with CL.

Thanks!

ABM

Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM

111 posts, read 532,835 times
Congratulations on deciding to sell your home! It can be troubling but I'm confident that you'll make it out okay. If you're looking for the "free" way to market your home to people, there are a lot of website that will give you exposure.

-Craiglist.com
-Kijiji.com - (Ebay version of Craigslist)
- Postlets.com (Will automatically list your information on about 10 sites for free)
- House.info

As a last resort, I'd suggest Iggys House. They actually allow you to list your home on the MLS for FREE instead of using an agent. The bad part is that any calls go to an 800 number instead of being directed to you. I used this to sell a condo in Maryland and it worked really well. Once again, I'd recommend it as a last resot.

Lastly, I'd also recommend taking a bunch of pictures and posting them on Flikr (a photo sharing site) and taking video tours of the house and put those on Youtube. This way anyone searching for a home will be sure to see something relating to your house.

Best of luck.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM

63 posts, read 213,068 times
I say give it a try - I found a rental home for someone on Craigslist and it all worked out great. But please be careful of letting strangers into your home - I am not trying to scare you - but atleast when your home is listed and a realtor is showing it you have a better chance of the realtor knowing who that person is, if they are prequalified, etc. Just make sure if at all possible you are not home alone when showing the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta