Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You Have To Choose: Peachtree City or Peachtree Corners?
Peachtree City 13 35.14%
Peachtree Corners 24 64.86%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:44 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times

Advertisements

And with all of the talk about how metro Atlanta has become a major hub of activity for the tech industry over the past decade, it probably should be noted that the reason for the growth of the Peachtree Corners community was the development of the Technology Park Atlanta suburban office park by Georgia Tech graduate Paul Duke starting back in the late 1960’s.

The development of Technology Park Atlanta in the area that eventually became Peachtree Corners was one of the earlier beachheads of both the suburban Atlanta and greater metro Atlanta tech industry scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:24 PM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholastic View Post
One caveat---any survey/poll about south side city (Peachtree City) vs north side city (Peachtree Corners) can be skewed toward the winning number for north side city because the majority of people in Atlanta Forum reside in or have connection to north side.
So true. For many it’s probably a poll of what you are most familiar with or have heard, not really an expression of which you think is better based on experiences.

Quote:
Anyway, as a south side resident, I am strongly in favor of Peachtree City (PTC) for its unique landscape and quality of life. Currently I live in a neighborhood bordering on the north side of Kedron Lake. Walking, running, or driving a cart on the lake trail is one of my family's favorites. Unlike Peachtree Lake, located in the center of PTC, attracting people---PTC residents, visitors, tourists--- along the trails, Kedron Lake trails are virtually for neighbors.
My favorite runs/walks are heading around the trail from Southern Shores around the lake heading to the Regents Square neighborhood and back down along the homes bordering the west of the lake. Eventually making my around to the tunnel under Peachtree Parkway, but diverting into The North Cove to take in the Low County designed neighborhood. Then it’s into Kedron Hills, normally taking the series of roads and connecting trails bordering the immediate north of the parkway until I get to the trail running alongside Peachtree Parkway bridge over Lake Kedron. I slow down and take in the beauty of the lake for awhile with the beautiful million dollar homes of Smokerise in the distance. I enjoy it as much as I can because pretty soon I have to deal with the elevation climbs up the south east side of the lake to get back around to the southern shore. It’s all the most beautiful and scenic area of PTC imho.

Quote:
During my 30-40 minute walking, for instance, I see only a few people walking or driving by, and sometimes I enjoy having a chat with neighbors on the trail. BThe lake is preserved for the water source for PTC, so wild geese/goslings, turtles, and other wild animals flourish here, and watching them at the lake background is one of my delightful pastime. Actually I lived long in California before moving to Georgia, and every time I miss California beaches, I walk/run along the lake.

No doubt, some people can appreciate the busy and fast-moving, but convenient life style that north side cities might offer. But I believe the corona pandemic situation has reminded us of how valuable a slower but "quality" lifestyle that PTC and neighboring south side cities can offer.
This was probably the most surprising and refreshing discovery for me. The amount of conversations with random residents and friends I ran into in my area turned the COVID lockdowns into multiple experiences of long walking conversations and everything from raising kids to the death of Ahmaud Arbery and BLM to election year politics. One guy had traveled to PTC to run the trails and got lost miles away from where he started with no phone for a map. He would still be running around out there right now if I hadn’t have helped him find his way back.

I like to fly the drone over the lake. You can see Lake Peachtree in the distance around 1:20.

Quote:
Some people try to paint PTC as suitable for seniors and its lifestyle as boring and not exciting, but don't forget---PTC is actually a very vibrant family community as once chosen as the best place to raise kids in Georgia (by the national survey of the renowned Bloomberg Journal)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo...aise-kids-2013
IRxactly. ’m always perplexed by comments stating PTC is just full of old folks and pilots. Well about a third of my street neighbors are actually pilots, but this is also truly a family oriented city.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:02 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
So true. For many it’s probably a poll of what you are most familiar with or have heard, not really an expression of which you think is better based on experiences.

My favorite runs/walks are heading around the trail from Southern Shores around the lake heading to the Regents Square neighborhood and back down along the homes bordering the west of the lake. Eventually making my around to the tunnel under Peachtree Parkway, but diverting into The North Cove to take in the Low County designed neighborhood. Then it’s into Kedron Hills, normally taking the series of roads and connecting trails bordering the immediate north of the parkway until I get to the trail running alongside Peachtree Parkway bridge over Lake Kedron. I slow down and take in the beauty of the lake for awhile with the beautiful million dollar homes of Smokerise in the distance. I enjoy it as much as I can because pretty soon I have to deal with the elevation climbs up the south east side of the lake to get back around to the southern shore. It’s all the most beautiful and scenic area of PTC imho.

This was probably the most surprising and refreshing discovery for me. The amount of conversations with random residents and friends I ran into in my area turned the COVID lockdowns into multiple experiences of long walking conversations and everything from raising kids to the death of Ahmaud Arbery and BLM to election year politics. One guy had traveled to PTC to run the trails and got lost miles away from where he started with no phone for a map. He would still be running around out there right now if I hadn’t have helped him find his way back.

I like to fly the drone over the lake. You can see Lake Peachtree in the distance around 1:20.

IRxactly. ’m always perplexed by comments stating PTC is just full of old folks and pilots. Well about a third of my street neighbors are actually pilots, but this is also truly a family oriented city.
Lol. There’s nothing wrong with having a population dominated by airline pilots and senior citizens in a community as affluent as Peachtree City.

Airline pilots generally are well-paid professionals who can contribute a lot to the local economy of any community, including Peachtree City. And pilots’ and senior citizens’ money spends just as good as anyone’s else’s money.

And if people want to think that PTC is an isolated and insulated ‘bubble’ community that is disconnected from the rest of metro Atlanta, I say let them.

There’s nothing wrong with a jurisdiction like PTC continuing to remain a well-kept secret of sorts as a largely quiet and extremely low-crime Southside suburban community that is largely insulated and disconnected from the crowding, the traffic congestion, the often intense competitiveness, and the relentless development and overdevelopment pressures of the Northside.

PTC’s quality-of-life appears to benefit heavily from the noticeable gaps in metropolitan development patterns in Atlanta’s less-densely developed Southside outer suburbs.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:07 AM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
Well states Born 2 Roll. Being able to leave PTC and immediately enter the beautiful exurban to rural country side with limited traffic makes for beautiful weekend drives or trios to the surrounding communities though 54 corridor west out of PTC continues to lose that appeal due to the commercial buildup. Not much of an issue because its bringing new shopping and dining options. Regardless, trips to Senioa, Trilith, Fayetteville, Newnan and Tyrone are just as pleasant getting there as they are to be in those communities with their unique identifies. As far as the amenities of the urban sprawl up north, I drive there, enjoy it, then get right back to the way of life I much more prefer. Honestly we usually head to downtown, Midtown, the eastside beltway or eastside communities for most of our needs when we want to leave the southside. Then again we are just as likely to go get soul food at Annie Laura's in Riverdale or skating at Cascades on the westside of Atlanta. Not to mention the easy trips to the airport to pickup family who couldn't get enough of PTC with the freedom they had this last year.

Last edited by Yoski; 03-19-2021 at 05:58 AM..

Old 03-19-2021, 06:37 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Pretty much the only thing these areas have in common is they both start with Peachtree.

So... you may as well ask would you rather live in Duluth, Ga or Duluth, MN.

Or would you rather live in Alpharetta or Newnan.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:52 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post

So pretty.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:11 AM

761 posts, read 907,256 times
I've always liked both communities. I remember when the Forum first opened in Peachtree Corners and love that it's on the banks of the Chattahoochee. I was also happy to see Peachtree Corners incorporate. Both are great communities, but I'm obviously voting for Peachtree City. For the following reasons:

-Schools (although the IB program at Norcross is great & I think Wesleyan is one of the best private schools in metro Atlanta)
-Lower Crime rate
-Multiuse Paths
-Less traffic/congestion
-more amenities

Old 03-19-2021, 09:18 AM

761 posts, read 907,256 times
Great clips. My son was in that football hype video. McIntosh and Starr's Mill were also #1 and #2 in cheer and dance again this year.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:49 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Peachtree Corners sine Peachtree City might as well be in another city. It's too disconnected from the greater part of Atlanta.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:27 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Both, to me, have some pretty big downsides that would discourage me from moving to either.

Peachtree City and the surrounding countryside is really a beautiful place. The golf cart trails go through the forest and it's possible to live car-free much of the time, which is kind of a rarity outside older town centers. The problem is it's almost all upper middle class whites. You can tell who is the work crew and who is a resident by skin color. And there's much less of a shared sense of community between those two classes of people.

Contrast that with Peachtree Corners— you've got so many different backgrounds there, and while there is an "upper crust" like Peachtree City, there's more of a shared sense of community and seems to be more economic and social mobility. But 141, those horrible huge highways and all of the clear cutting for huge shopping centers, the built environment is the definition of suburban hell.

Now, if somebody could find a way to build something like Peachtree City that would be workable for people of different income levels and cultural backgrounds, with more small retail spaces and small houses for people starting out, that might really be something special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta