Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
I heard from my OLDER neighbors here in Detroit that there are several nice areas for middle class people in Georgia. But these people left Georgia decades ago. I am sure much have changed since the 1960's. What say you about: East Point, College Park, Macon, or Marietta? I did not get a good response about Pine Mountain. Is it really that bad? What about East Point, College Park, Macon or Marietta? Are they on the "don't move there list"?

Tinnie--

The responses are random because posters don't always see your thread.

You said you have an interracial family and there will be more interracial families/diversity in the metro Atlanta area. Pine Mt is a little town located in an area that was primarily industrial/agricultural--mills and farms. It is just not as progressive as Atlanta.
Pine Mountain Tourism Association : Welcome!

East Point, College Park
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...cent-area.html

Marietta
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...apartment.html

Macon
https://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...reat-city.html

If you still need more FYI just make a new thread and be as specific as you can.
Type of housing, price range, type of community you prefer. You said, IIRC, you would be working part time--if you want suggestions on that include everything in the post.

I have to rush out the door but why not plan a visit to Georgia/Atlanta and see for yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 PM

41 posts, read 118,363 times
LOVINDECAUR AND TAKEAHIKE!! I know now that if you want the "Best" you have to ask the "Best People". I know that Southern people are great. Both of my Parents were born and raise in the old South. They have told me and my brothers and sisters many stories!! What a wonderful outlet this is!! I have had such great response to this Forum that I have given this Website to others here in Michigan. I need all of the advice and constructive feedback I can get. I am a very daring, out-going woman. My move is really not just advantageous for me. I want my grandchildren to experience different venues and communities. My move is planned by me to give them another venue outside of the Detroit metro area!! I thank you so much. Any more advice or ideas or information please feel free to offer it. Yes, I am open to other GA communities that might be Fun!! Thank you again so very much!!

Last edited by Tinnie; 05-09-2008 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: quote

Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
I am considering moving to Georgia from Detroit, Michigan within a few months. Living in Detroit has prepared me for any life changes that I will EVER encounter. My position at General Motors as a Salaried employee has been outsourced. I am searching for a lifestyle change and a new life adventure!! I am older than most of the people on this forum, but that is why I joined it!! I want a fresh Viewpoint and Suggestions on what City to Relocate to in Georgia. Some of my former co-workers have suggested Decatur, or Macon. What say You Forum members? I would like a city with entertainment, good shopping, not too rural, upbeat and fun to live in. I have a degree in Social Work so I am seeking part-time employment only. What areas offer a nice safe housing environment for a medium income divorced woman who is family oriented. Here in Detroit, I have a very active life-style that includes Ballroom Dancing, Theatre and nice Restaurants. I am interested in leasing/purchasing a small ranch or Condo in a nice diverse area. Any advice or suggestions you give me will be seriously considered. What City in Georgia can offer me the above and more! Thank You!!
nice diverse area = oxymoron (generally speaking)

Old 05-09-2008, 05:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
nice diverse area = oxymoron (generally speaking)
Sometimes that is true. Every once in a while something sets me off and I find myself in a very critical mode.

<wry grin> This often occurs after the nightly news or a stirring tirade on AM radio.

Then I just switch to Jazz like my friend in Vancouver which must be an incredible place to live and very diverse.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Any more advice or ideas or information please feel free to offer it. Yes, I am open to other GA communities that might be Fun!!
I'm going to suggest you check out the Golden Isles area of GA...I spend a lot of time down there (family connections and a second home)...looks to me like the 40-50-60-70 somethings are having a great time down there. My aunt is in her mid 70's and is very active in the scene down there...lots of cultural activity and recreation...my plan is to cash out here in Atlanta and head down there in 5-10 years.

Golden Isles Visitor Guide - Golden Isles Hotels, Tours & Attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta