Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM

58 posts, read 249,083 times

Advertisements

We've been comtemplating moving from suburban Chicago to the Alpharetta area for years for my husband's job. We are from here and all our friends and family are here. Very tough decision. If we do transfer, what are the differences, if any between Roswell and Alpharetta? Will we love it or wish we never did it????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM

81 posts, read 311,065 times
We would to know a little bit more about the activities you enjoy, IE city life, nature life etc. For instance if you enjoy that you can walk in downtown Chicago without to much panhandling or even feeling to uneasy, you may not like Atlanta too much. If you just stay in the burbs and like shopping, community activity, you may very well enjoy Roswell or Alpharetta!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM

122 posts, read 347,284 times
A lot of people are moving/relocating to those areas. They are very nice cities with a lot of growth in store

Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,954,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoveornot View Post
We've been comtemplating moving from suburban Chicago to the Alpharetta area for years for my husband's job. We are from here and all our friends and family are here. Very tough decision. If we do transfer, what are the differences, if any between Roswell and Alpharetta? Will we love it or wish we never did it????
You might want to consider Alpharetta. According to Money Magazine on CNN.com, Alpharetta, Georgia (GA) is the best place to buy a home these days.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:14 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,218,529 times
Alpharetta has that "new" suburb feel to it. Homes and businesses are all fairly new, and the area is very clean. I lived in Alpharetta for 1.5 years and guests were always impressed with the area.
Roswell is more established, and is closer to the city. Though there is miserable traffic if you live off Holcomb Bridge.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 PM

115 posts, read 424,573 times
What Chicago burb are you in? If you are close in, like Evanston or Oak Park, you will find it quite the culture shock to move to Roswell or Alpharetta. However, if you're in one of the further suburbs with newer development, you will find it similar to your current situation but prettier with larger houses and better weather. Keep in mind though that traffic will probably be worse and public transportation in Alpharetta and Roswell is virtually non-existent, so that may be a big change depending on your use of Metra/CTA.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM

58 posts, read 249,083 times
We live in Algonquin. Are you from here? Do you like it down there?

Old 04-19-2008, 08:01 PM

115 posts, read 424,573 times
I grew up in Evanston. I've lived in Atlanta, off and on, for over 15 years. I like Atlanta because of the weather (I do *not* miss the sun setting at 4:30 in the winter and snow--except perhaps just before Christmas) and the trees and hills. I do not like that Atlanta is not a "real" city in the same way Chicago is. Even inside I-285, Atlanta is mostly new development which means it is very car focused and suburban feeling. On the other hand, it is much easier to get a house here near where you'd like to live and things generally are more affordable. Since you already live pretty far from downtown Chicago, I think you would like either Roswell or Alpharetta. Just be prepared for lots of subdivisions and more traffic!!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM

63 posts, read 212,973 times
I have lived in the Alpharetta / Roswell area for 25 years - having relocating from both NY and IL. I work in the real estate arena and I see many families picking northside of Atlanta to work and live. I happen to favor Alpharetta, Roswell is good but the atmosphere in Alpharetta is wonderful. I drive outside my neighborhood - of about 85 homes - and we have horse farms all around. Two minutes away there is a Kroger, Blockbuster, etc - everything you need, plus some great restaurants in both cities. Plus we are getting our own Verizon Amphitheater opening here soon so going to Atlanta for a show is no longer needed. Parts of Alpharetta have just branched off into City of Milton (Which I am now a resident of). Depending of which part of Alpharetta you live the lot sizes can differ from 3/4 acre up to 1+ acre lots. There is also a lot of new building go on in the area but the Birmingham Alliance is trying to keep a certain look to the area - a "Era" feel. The East side of Alpharetta is a little more congested and having lived over on that side of town as well there are both pros and cons - it really depends on the type of home, schools, activites, etc. I hope that helps somewhat!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,495 times
We are in the same boat, thinking of moving to Alpharetta area. We live in the far, far west suburbs. Housing is so affordable...... I have three kids and the oldest will start kindergarden in 2009, so if we make the move we want to do it before then.

ToMoveorNot- when are you guys thinking of moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta