Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv289 View Post
We would to know a little bit more about the activities you enjoy, IE city life, nature life etc. For instance if you enjoy that you can walk in downtown Chicago without to much panhandling or even feeling to uneasy, you may not like Atlanta too much. If you just stay in the burbs and like shopping, community activity, you may very well enjoy Roswell or Alpharetta!
Please. You must have never been to Chicago. There are panhandlers there as well. Your views of the city of Atlanta are quite limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 AM

58 posts, read 248,847 times
We would move in the fall so that our older kids would be thrown into a school and have to make friends. I heard that is better than moving over the summer when it might be harder to make friends. I still don't know if we'll do this. It would be a promotion for my husband. If he doesn't take it, he would have to leave the company. So I'm torn between his career and staying near family! I can't make everyone happy with either choice. Ugh!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Please. You must have never been to Chicago. There are panhandlers there as well. Your views of the city of Atlanta are quite limited.
I've walked Michigan Avenue, and I've walked Peachtree Street. No comparison; the city of Chicago would never put up with what we have to contend with downtown.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoveornot View Post
We would move in the fall so that our older kids would be thrown into a school and have to make friends. I heard that is better than moving over the summer when it might be harder to make friends.
I second this idea. I've twice moved at the beginning of summer with a (then) elementary-aged child. The second time we did this I belatedly figured out it's a bad idea. We had thought it would be more comfortable to move when school's out, and give the family a chance to get settled in the new location over the summer. In my experience, this leads to a lonely summer for your kid(s). The neighborhood kids were away for a lot of the summer, at summer camp, on family vacations, etc., and when they were home they were busy with activities, or playing with their established friends. They weren't particularly attuned to meeting a newcomer.

Once school started, the full kid population of the neighborhood appeared, and when thrown together on the school bus and in the classroom, our child quickly got to know them.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM

81 posts, read 310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've walked Michigan Avenue, and I've walked Peachtree Street. No comparison; the city of Chicago would never put up with what we have to contend with downtown.
Thank you Lovin Decatur. My "limited" views of Atlanta and Chicago come from being a season ticket holder to the local hockey teams in both Chicago and Atlanta. I would walk in downtown Chicago with paper money hanging from my pockets...at night...from 9pm to 3am...and a rolex...and a Birkin...before even walking after 9 pm in Atlanta in regular duds.

Not ot hijack and turn this into a "hate Atlanta" thread, that is not the intention. But for someone with an open mind to illustrate that Atlanta compared to *most* other major US cities...there is no comparisson.

And BTW, when I say Atlanta, I mean Atlanta proper...not "metro Atlanta"

Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
I was raised an hour and a half from Chicago and am quite familiar with the area. It is true that there are more panhandlers in Atlanta, but I've encountered a lot of panhandlers in Chicago as well. I live near Downtown Atlanta and I've not encountered hardly any panhandlers. Maybe it all depends on what area of the city you frequent. I must also add that I've encountered panhandlers out in the Atlanta burbs as well.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I was raised an hour and a half from Chicago and am quite familiar with the area. It is true that there are more panhandlers in Atlanta, but I've encountered a lot of panhandlers in Chicago as well. I live near Downtown Atlanta and I've not encountered hardly any panhandlers. Maybe it all depends on what area of the city you frequent. I must also add that I've encountered panhandlers out in the Atlanta burbs as well.
Last Saturday morning I attended the Auto Show at GWCC; afterwards I decided to turn onto Peachtree north from McDaniel St and drive through Five Points and past Woodruff Park. Everyone in the car was horrified, and no way would I have walked that route, even in broad daylight. And as for the park, it's a scandal, unmowed and untended...this after all the money that was spent to create it and then refurbish it. I used to catch the bus there when I was a student at GSU in the early 80's...while there was, of course, a panhandler here and there, it was nothing like it is now...all the talk about the 'new downtown' is just that...talk.

Oh and sorry for this OT rant...I just looked up at the header and realized that we're supposed to be talking about Roswell and Alpharetta (both lovely IMO).

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-21-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 03:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
I've never understood why panhandlers are so tolerated here. The laws are lenient beyond belief.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 36,383 times
I too am moving to the atlanta area from the chicago area. my husband's office will probably be in the roswell area right next to alpharetta, next to the hospital. i went down to check things out and loved the alpharetta atmosphere. the only thing i am having a problem with is the cost of the houses in the area. i know i am getting 2-3 times the house but having around 300K, not much to choose from. i also have elem school kids, they will be going into 5th and 3rd, met with crabapple crossing, loved the school, so i really wanted to live in this area. i also did check out east cobb area, housing a bit more in my price point and the schools on paper looked good. any other pros or cons with either of these areas besides taxes, don't forget i come from the chicago area? thanks!!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM

122 posts, read 346,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynurse93 View Post
I too am moving to the atlanta area from the chicago area. my husband's office will probably be in the roswell area right next to alpharetta, next to the hospital. i went down to check things out and loved the alpharetta atmosphere. the only thing i am having a problem with is the cost of the houses in the area. i know i am getting 2-3 times the house but having around 300K, not much to choose from. i also have elem school kids, they will be going into 5th and 3rd, met with crabapple crossing, loved the school, so i really wanted to live in this area. i also did check out east cobb area, housing a bit more in my price point and the schools on paper looked good. any other pros or cons with either of these areas besides taxes, don't forget i come from the chicago area? thanks!!
I would throw Cherokee County in the mix as well. Its not too far from the areas you have mentioned. Housing prices and property taxes are lower than North Fulton.
Worth a look I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta