Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 PM

11,824 posts, read 8,027,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It needs another through lane in each direction from I-85 to 78.
I dont see that happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 02:54 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
North Druid Hills also has way too many curb cuts. There's somebody turning right or left about every 200 feet.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
North Druid Hills also has way too many curb cuts. There's somebody turning right or left about every 200 feet.
Which would be the advantage of adding a lane each way, buy the SFH properties that abut it and get rid of them. Same thing should have been done to Memorial between Candler and Boulevard.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Which would be the advantage of adding a lane each way, buy the SFH properties that abut it and get rid of them. Same thing should have been done to Memorial between Candler and Boulevard.
A lot of commercial property too you are going to have to take. Most the SFH and those are not going to be willing. Also, what money are you going to pay for all this? Ideas like this should be left in the 1960s - 80s and should be a non-starter today. There are plenty of roads that need repaving and pot holes filled in DeKalb. Funneling more traffic into these neighborhoods should be way down the list.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:37 PM

it would be nice if N.Druid Hills had a suicide left turn lane in the median. Otherwise I cant think of anything feasible that can be done with that street. It is just maxed out from a feasibility perspective.

On this road I'm going to have to side with the anti-car club and state that the best they can possibly do with it is implementing some sort of ART bus route or means of transit - reducing cars on that road is literally its only hope.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
A lot of commercial property too you are going to have to take.
Not that much I don't think, at least not in terms of buildings themselves, but some parking would have to be taken, which I would think you'd be all for.

Quote:
Most the SFH and those are not going to be willing.
Eminent domain.

Quote:
Also, what money are you going to pay for all this?
Same place we seem to get an unlimited budget for other road projects.

Quote:
Ideas like this should be left in the 1960s - 80s and should be a non-starter today.
No, roads still ahve their place, and proper projects should definitely be allowed to proceed.

Quote:
There are plenty of roads that need repaving and pot holes filled in DeKalb.
Maintenance and capital budgets are usually different.

Quote:
Funneling more traffic into these neighborhoods should be way down the list.
HAHAHA! You do realize that the current configuration already funnels quite a bit of traffic through the neighborhoods? Going east down N. Druid, it is quite common for traffic to split off at Holly Ln, wind through the neighborhood and come out on La Vista? I sure do it (at slow speed of course), and I see several people additionally turn into the shopping center and pop out on N Druid closer to Clairmont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
it would be nice if N.Druid Hills had a suicide left turn lane in the median. Otherwise I cant think of anything feasible that can be done with that street. It is just maxed out from a feasibility perspective.
It would help a bit, but the vast majority of traffic congestion is people going from Midtown and Buckhead to Central Gwinnett, East Dekalb, and Rockdale counties. As someone who regularly commutes both ways down this corridor, the number of left-turners are limited. The MARTA and school buses taking 5 minutes at each stop cause way more issues than anything else.

Quote:
On this road I'm going to have to side with the anti-car club and state that the best they can possibly do with it is implementing some sort of ART bus route or means of transit - reducing cars on that road is literally its only hope.
As I say above, the issue isn't local transit, it's commuters going to/from Buckhead/Midtown from/to Central Gwinnett, East Dekalb, and Rockdale. Even just straight CRT along the existing rail lines wouldn't do much. If CRT was laid from Atlanta out through Tucker and Stone Mountain to say Lawrenceville and Conyers (or beyond) you still have a big problem. since people from Central Gwinnett , East Dekalb and Rockdale have no way of getting to Buckhead except via the Red/Gold line and a transfer at Five Points, that's a lot of back tracking. The only way to solve that is a high capacity local transit route that links the inner CRT stations with other inner locations. The Clifton corridor would help East Dekalb/Rockdale a bit with a transfer at Avondale, but unless you also have transit at Northlake, you're still not really getting people where they need to go without a lot of transfers and backtracking. Something like the Dekalb Routes on this map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=133...90&usp=sharing

Old 09-30-2019, 05:43 PM

I just say good luck on taking that land with eminent domain... that wont go over too well on that side of town.

While I do agree there are many inefficient nodes in the metro that cause unecessary bottlenecks, i also believe that widening every road with a congestion problem is not the solution. You can't pave your way out of congestion...it will probably always exist, but we shouldn't cater to it. alternative means of transportation are going to be a necessity in the future. That or drivers will need to share their real-estate...there is only so much you can feasibly do as far as transportation infrastructure goes. commuters have to make choices to assist in the problem as well.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-30-2019 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
HAHAHA! You do realize that the current configuration already funnels quite a bit of traffic through the neighborhoods?
Yep, I do. I grew up in this area. It would have been better off if they never widened it beyond the original two lanes.

Quote:
As I say above, the issue isn't local transit, it's commuters going to/from Buckhead/Midtown from/to Central Gwinnett, East Dekalb, and Rockdale.
No once is guaranteed a fast, direct car commute through these neighborhoods. These people should not be forced to give up their homes and businesses just to save others a few minutes in the car going to / from "Buckhead, Midtown, Central Gwinnett, East Dekalb, and Rockdale".

Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Not that much I don't think, at least not in terms of buildings themselves, but some parking would have to be taken, which I would think you'd be all for.

Eminent domain.

Same place we seem to get an unlimited budget for other road projects.

No, roads still ahve their place, and proper projects should definitely be allowed to proceed.

Maintenance and capital budgets are usually different.

HAHAHA! You do realize that the current configuration already funnels quite a bit of traffic through the neighborhoods? Going east down N. Druid, it is quite common for traffic to split off at Holly Ln, wind through the neighborhood and come out on La Vista? I sure do it (at slow speed of course), and I see several people additionally turn into the shopping center and pop out on N Druid closer to Clairmont.

It would help a bit, but the vast majority of traffic congestion is people going from Midtown and Buckhead to Central Gwinnett, East Dekalb, and Rockdale counties. As someone who regularly commutes both ways down this corridor, the number of left-turners are limited. The MARTA and school buses taking 5 minutes at each stop cause way more issues than anything else.

As I say above, the issue isn't local transit, it's commuters going to/from Buckhead/Midtown from/to Central Gwinnett, East Dekalb, and Rockdale. Even just straight CRT along the existing rail lines wouldn't do much. If CRT was laid from Atlanta out through Tucker and Stone Mountain to say Lawrenceville and Conyers (or beyond) you still have a big problem. since people from Central Gwinnett , East Dekalb and Rockdale have no way of getting to Buckhead except via the Red/Gold line and a transfer at Five Points, that's a lot of back tracking. The only way to solve that is a high capacity local transit route that links the inner CRT stations with other inner locations. The Clifton corridor would help East Dekalb/Rockdale a bit with a transfer at Avondale, but unless you also have transit at Northlake, you're still not really getting people where they need to go without a lot of transfers and backtracking. Something like the Dekalb Routes on this map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=133...90&usp=sharing
Well said.

The biggest problem is the lack of arterial streets in North Dekalb. And that drives traffic through the neighborhoods as you note.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well said.

The biggest problem is the lack of arterial streets in North Dekalb. And that drives traffic through the neighborhoods as you note.
As someone that lives in North DeKalb, I can comfortably assert that what Matt CW endorses and proposes will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta