Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMademoiselle View Post
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case everywhere. In San Francisco, it's who you know as well for many of the private schools... even starting at preschool!

I'm concerned about Atlanta because we know no one other than our family members who don't have children and have no history there. But, my son is quite amazing and I'm hoping his interviews go well. My daughter will be 4 next year and also has a very sweet dispositon.

We are also applying to AIS and I spoke with the Director of Admissions, who was very informative, and very open to work around our schedule (since we are out of state) for testing and such. I do have some concern about their bilingual program (we are a French bilingual family) as the way it's set-up is very different than bilingual schools here, but we shall see.

I am also considering applying to The Children's School and The Atlanta School, both of which give me the impression are similar to schools in our area. In general, what is the ethnic make-up of Atlanta private schools, or does it depend on whether it's a Christian or Catholic School?

Thanks!
I attend Westminster and I would say about 10-15% of my grade is Black. 10% Latino/Hispanic. 15% Asian. The rest is white, ofcourse. Honestly, this is not politics nor is it a popularity contest. Conections do not help when it come to getting in to Westminter. The commitee labels over all the names when ther recieve the transcript and votes on each one as they come in. Names and donation history and Knowing Dr. Clarkson (The President) does not help. Actually, I would probably hurt if you pushed yourself onto those people.
Westminster is one of the hardest schools to get into simply becasue one) spots do not open up often, and two) it is a rigorous school and a middle of the way public schooler is not likely to survive well.
out of all the private schools in Atlanta, Woodward is the most diverse ethnicity wise.

One last thing. I am guessing you have applied and gotten into one of these schoosl by now. Do not talk about where you went yatching this summer and how the dealer and the mercedes (or Rolls) dealership was unhelpful and used soap rather than chemical free lather to wash your care and you will never go there again. TThough you will get a smile and a nod of agreement, this is not how you jump into the community. Social etiquette takes you far but it does not build relationships. Be yourself. These may be somewhat exagerated but I think you know what I am saying.
You look like a nervous animal when you spout off about money and drops names like hot potatos. We can all see right through that. Im not saying we all hate people like that and we all do that, (most people do not ever do that becaause the extra 100,000 goes to sending their children to school, not a bigger house or car) but just be relaxed. These are the parent you will be dealing with and talking to for the rest of your child's school career.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Default response to applying to westminster and AIS.

No, dependind on the number of applicant, it could be more difficult. Apply to the schools you would want your child to embody. for instance, don't send your child to a school that had poor academic standards and parties, or one that most knowledgable people steer clear of. The school will shape your kid, not you (unfortuantley) so pick on values not reputation.
But if I were you, I would pray and hope for Westminster.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
Thanks for your input, that is very helpful. I've heard good things about both, just want to see which better aligns with our philosophy of parenting and education.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Yes. The reason why you hear about Woodward having more AA children than Westminster or even most is because it is located in South Atlanta where most of the ghettos and majority of AA families live, rich or poor. It is just a fact of Atlanta. We all know, as do AA people not to be on those streets at night. Westminster is not a hard place for an AA person to fit into unless they are out of the norm for behavior or, pardon me if this is rude, bring a sort of ghettoness with them and an attitude. this is the same with any child.
Any school will center on the different children but especially private schools. A select number of children come from old money and were raised with very southern tradtitional etiquette and everyone else follows that. So when a street kid or different kids shows up, the contrast is very different. Though if you are really worried about race issues I would call each school and set up a conference with someone like the pricipal or adimissions director, someone who would know the student body. heck even a techer.
Good luck.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a199393 View Post
Yes. The reason why you hear about Woodward having more AA children than Westminster or even most is because it is located in South Atlanta where most of the ghettos and majority of AA families live, rich or poor. It is just a fact of Atlanta. We all know, as do AA people not to be on those streets at night. Westminster is not a hard place for an AA person to fit into unless they are out of the norm for behavior or, pardon me if this is rude, bring a sort of ghettoness with them and an attitude. this is the same with any child.
Any school will center on the different children but especially private schools. A select number of children come from old money and were raised with very southern tradtitional etiquette and everyone else follows that. So when a street kid or different kids shows up, the contrast is very different. Though if you are really worried about race issues I would call each school and set up a conference with someone like the pricipal or adimissions director, someone who would know the student body. heck even a techer.
Good luck.
I don't know if I'm reading your post correctly...are you saying that people know not to be on ANY streets in South Atlanta at night? If so, that is ludicrous. Woodward Academy is in one of many beautiful, quiet, safe neighborhoods on the southside of Atlanta.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 18,976 times
Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur2004 View Post
I am also an AA mother with similar concerns about private school. My impression is that Westminster is less racially and economically diverse than Woodward. I may be totally off, but Westminster would be on the bottom of my list of private schools for precisely that reason.
At least as far as economically diverse, I completely disagree for the fact that Westminster offers financial aid from their huge endowment to families who have financial need. Woodward does not offer aid for the elementary school.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateschoolsnob View Post
At least as far as economically diverse, I completely disagree for the fact that Westminster offers financial aid from their huge endowment to families who have financial need. Woodward does not offer aid for the elementary school.
I would have to think Woodward's endowment is not way off from Westminster's. Of course that doesn't mean they have to offer the same financial aid.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 18,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would have to think Woodward's endowment is not way off from Westminster's. Of course that doesn't mean they have to offer the same financial aid.
Exactly, they choose not to. Therefore even though I would say Woodward is more racially diverse than Westminster, it only is inclusive of people who can afford 20k a year.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,440 times
I strongly disagree with the statement that Westminster is more racially accepting than Woodward Academy. From first hand experience, I know for a fact the students and faculty at Woodward don't think twice about the color of another's skin. Woodward is extremely diverse and rich with different opinions and colors. Woodward provides an enriching and full cultural experience for students due to the non-uniformity and variety among the student body. The importance of academics is stressed, yet the school provides many ways to get involved and join the athletic programs. There is a lot of stress put on the promotion of diversity. I have even heard some say it is like a model UN.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamus222 View Post
Hi folks, I'm trying to find out what the differences are between the experience for African American kids at these two schools (Woodward Academy and Westminster).

1) Each school reports nearly identical numbers of "students of color", but anecdotally, people say that Woodward has not just more, but many more AA students than Westminster. Is that true?

Woodward:
18% African American, 14% Asian/Pacific and 3% Hispanic.

Westminster:
The usual "DIVERSITY IS THE UTMOST PRIORITY OF THE WESTMINSTER SCHOOLS" nonsense. Couldn't find any numbers.

2) Much more importantly, for our family, it's not all about numbers. At which school do parents and kids really blend and could not care less about race, as opposed to merely co-existing and awkwardly tolerating each other? Either? Both?

There are probably more racist people at private schools than not simply due to socioeconomics. Rich white people tend not to like everyone else..to put it quite bluntly. I know brilliant kids from both schools, and I know absolutely morons from both schools(they go to crappy colleges and are ALL on drugs)...although most Woodward/Westminster kids I know smoke and drink a lot.. Wish I was rich.

3) Are AA students evenly distributed performance-wise at both of these schools? I'm looking for a school with parents and teachers that don't expect or tolerate different outcomes when students are given the same resources.

Look. You seem real focused on how the school isn't going to be racist to your kid. Let me put it quite simply, your intentions are applaudable. I wish more parents were like you. ESPECIALLY for black/hispanic people. The achievement gap hasn't closed in the US..at all lol

Just the fact you're considering these schools shows you care. I think your kid will do fine in a public school providing you keep this atmosphere of keeping your priorities. Woodward and Westminster will not do anything a normal public school won't in terms of diversity. Honestly. Ironically, they're probably the less diverse than other schools.

BUT it also sounds like you're trying to vindicate yourself. "Oh the racist teacher expects my kid to do bad because he's black." lol. Honors/AP crowd don't have that mentality. Everyone else does. If you and your husband/wife are smart and you believe your child is smart, then Woodward, Westminster...it doesn't matter.

Be the 10%. The top 10% That is.

PS. Want to help steer your child away from black stereotypes? Avoid HBCUs.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta