Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:30 AM

297 posts, read 1,539,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The way Japanese do things like handle problems is completely different from Americans in general.
Can you please expand on this a little? I am actually quite interested. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 AM

39 posts, read 111,962 times
That's an excellent point that was brought up.. the culture in America is COMPLETELY different than that of Japan, or even Canada.

For example, Japan has maintained a strong sense of culture and national history, even through the transition to becoming the contemporary culture it is today. In general the Japanese view themselves as part of a group, so they look out for each other. Here in America it's "all about me" and we don't really care as much about other people. We are more concerned about ourselves and our family being taken care of. That fact in and of itself is very revealing and I believe the key to the level of violence in America. Why do people commit crimes? Because they are worried about themselves and what they can get for themselves - not the trauma that they are putting the victim through.

Canada is not extremely different from America in some aspects, but in others it is extremely different. Canada is more concerned with the welfare of the entire country, in general they are not nearly as selfish as Americans, and like the Japanese, want the entire country to "make it". Imo that is true pride in your country. Canadians also accept diversity much much more than America claims to. There is much more acceptance for multiculturalism, whereas the general consensus in America is, if you're not American enough get out. How can this correlate with gun violence and violence in general? Intolerance breeds hate, hate breeds violence.

In America, we don't take care of our criminals the right way - we throw them in a jail and ignore them, only to release them to do the same stuff over again. We also don't care enough about our people to give them the proper resources to PREVENT from dropping into a lifestyle of crime.

Of course there is NO WAY to completely prevent violence and crime, but imo these reasons I mentioned are some of the main catalysts for violence.

Last edited by myndsplyntur; 04-05-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,914,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myndsplyntur View Post
We also don't care enough about our people to give them the proper resources to PREVENT from dropping into a lifestyle of crime.

Of course there is NO WAY to completely prevent violence and crime, but imo these reasons I mentioned are some of the main catalysts for violence.
Excellent point!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times
I think a lot of people on here are completely full of sh_t! Carrying a gun won't inherently prevent you from being a victim of violent crime. If someone has their guns leveled at you already, you would have to be like Clint Eastwood in spaghetti westerns and have a quick draw. But seriously, what type of civilized society is composed of a citizenry that all carry firearms? Just because some joker has a gun doesn't make them an expert marksman and it doesn't mean that they know everything about gun safety. Statistics have showed time and time again that households with guns are so many more times likely to result with a member of that household being shot rather than some perp.

Also for the record, the US isn't the only western country with ghettos and slums. You bet your fearful little arses that the US leads the world in gun crimes because it has more guns among its citizens.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 AM

297 posts, read 1,539,628 times
Aside from the points already mentioned above relating to the cultural differences in the United States, the way to decrease gun violence in this country is to do a seriously crack down on people who illegally possess guns. As has been already mentioned once these criminals have been caught the justice system needs to do its job and prevent them from acting again. These steps would dramatically reduce gun violence. Unfortunately, the United States is not committed to this.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Carrying a gun won't inherently prevent you from being a victim of violent crime. If someone has their guns leveled at you already, you would have to be like Clint Eastwood in spaghetti westerns and have a quick draw.

Exactly. The criminal has the advantage every time. They know what they are about to do. You and I don't.

People aren't going to stop getting mugged if we all start carrying guns. What will change is, eventually, someone legally carrying a gun will get mugged. In an attempt at self-defense the victim will reach for their gun, like a vigilante idiot, and the mugger rather than taking their wallet and running away, will have no choice but to shoot the gun-toting victim.

Better put in an order for more body bags.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 AM

74 posts, read 689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Exactly. The criminal has the advantage every time. They know what they are about to do. You and I don't.

People aren't going to stop getting mugged if we all start carrying guns. What will change is, eventually, someone legally carrying a gun will get mugged. In an attempt at self-defense the victim will reach for their gun, like a vigilante idiot, and the mugger rather than taking their wallet and running away, will have no choice but to shoot the gun-toting victim.

Better put in an order for more body bags.
Or, maybe the the criminal has the gun pointed at someone else in your group in the other direction from you and you are able to pull my gun and kill the criminal. We may still need more body bags but this time it would be a criminal using it.

Or, what if you are eating at my favorite restaurant or buying a lottery ticket at your favorite gas station and someone decides to try to rob the place. Since they are likely concentrating on the person trying to pull out the cash, it is theoretically possible you have enough time to pull my gun and "level it at them."

The basic question I asked a while back that no one has even attempted to answer on this forum is "what is wrong with the bill"?

If I want to carry a gun because it makes me feel safer, why does it matter to you? Whether it actually makes me safer or puts me in danger is clearly a topic people want to debate. But, unless you see me tap it on the MARTA turnstyle to use its express pass capability, you will never know if I have a gun on me or not. Do you maybe think that my having a gun somehow puts you in danger? How about if I carry it unloaded? What if I am an off duty police officer (and therefore acting as a private citizen)...should I be able to carry my service weapon in that case?

Many people say they are opposed to allowing law abiding citizens to carry guns in certain locations but no one has said why. There has been plenty of talk about whether complete gun control laws do or do deter crime but no one has said why they don't want private, law abiding citizens to be able to carry guns.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:34 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,148,093 times
Quote:
People don't seem to understand that laws preventing carry don't hurt criminals, they're already breaking the law, they hurt law abiding citizens.
Why have any laws? After all, those who would break the law, break the law...

Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 AM

74 posts, read 689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Why have any laws? After all, those who would break the law, break the law...
And those who break the law should be punished for their actions. Those that do not break the law should not be punished.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlDad View Post
Or, maybe the the criminal has the gun pointed at someone else in your group in the other direction from you and you are able to pull my gun and kill the criminal.

Or, what if you are eating at my favorite restaurant or buying a lottery ticket at your favorite gas station and someone decides to try to rob the place. Since they are likely concentrating on the person trying to pull out the cash, it is theoretically possible you have enough time to pull my gun and "level it at them."

Why would I pull your gun? How exactly would that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta