Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,564,319 times

Advertisements

Say NO to Georgia's discrimination bill HB 1023 / SB 377 | CREDO Mobilize

Last edited by aries4118; 02-24-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:30 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,538,614 times
I doubt it will pass. Deal is going to be desperate to be reelected after the winter debacle so I don't think he'll sign anything that would paint hm as a bigot and give more ammunition to his opponents.

My personal view is that while the overall bill is bad and will open up too much of a can of worms, I could support a more narrow-scope bill. Something that allows specific businesses to deny sales based on religion, such as a Christian bakery being allowed to refuse to put two grooms on the wedding cake or two brides. Functionally though, I'm not sure how it could work without requiring businesses to apply for and be listed on a registry which opens up more cans of worms.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,883,640 times
here is the full text:

HB*1023*2013-2014 Regular Session

the law is obviously not what CREDO says it is. it is pretty clearly intended to be a religious exemption from providing individuals insurance that includes contraception. i don't see where it is a way to deny service to any customer, however, it *could* be construed to allow firing of gay individuals since they might 'conflict' with an employer's religious beliefs, although that's clearly not the motive behind this bill.

the bill is toxic either way, but i don't appreciate CREDO misconstruing the facts of the bill to make it seem more heinous than it actually is.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 PM

630 posts, read 1,266,294 times
All I'm saying is that if you're a wedding planner who doesn't want to plan a wedding for a same sex couple because of your "Christian beliefs" you should probably also deny services to overweight clients as well, since gluttony is also a biblical sin, and all sins are equal in the eyes of god, right?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM

858 posts, read 1,386,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
All I'm saying is that if you're a wedding planner who doesn't want to plan a wedding for a same sex couple because of your "Christian beliefs" you should probably also deny services to overweight clients as well, since gluttony is also a biblical sin, and all sins are equal in the eyes of god, right?
Logic and religion have never really gotten along.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM

322 posts, read 465,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it is pretty clearly intended to be a religious exemption from providing individuals insurance that includes contraception
To be clear, it would have stated specifically what it was prohibiting. It clearly is a veiled attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of people dumb enough to believe it does anything other than grant discrimination in the name of god. What's more, it's just piling on as it's already permissible to discriminate based on sexual orientation in Georgia.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
That would require them to use a brain cell and go beyond their comfort zone of blindly following a book.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM

322 posts, read 465,614 times
This is kind of related:

Kasim Reed: End gay marriage ban ‘right away’ — Project Q Atlanta

Katie, bar the door! Oh wait, that's what the HB1023 is attempting to do.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 PM

632 posts, read 933,908 times
Let a Muslim refuse service to a right wing Christian based on religion and see how fast this bill gets overturned!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM

858 posts, read 1,386,361 times
It's hard to see through all the red and blue muck this issue is stirring up but it does raise an interesting question about the balance of civil and religious freedom... where does each one end? A person's freedom is being violated either way. I guess the obvious answer is to take the freedom from the person you disagree with, but how do you know if that's best for society as a whole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: