Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 21,226 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Atlanta. We are considering renting a home in Candler Park based on some of the posts on this forum. We're looking for a family oriented in-town neighborhood. We want to be able to walk to stores, the park, etc.

I will be commuting to Vinings.
We have an infant daughter.

A couple of questions:

Is this a safe area?
What kind of commute can I expect? (I will often leave for work at or before 7am and will return home at or after 6pm.)
Is the MARTA train loud? (we're not too far from the station)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM

16,736 posts, read 29,672,162 times
The poster "pless..." will tell you all you need to know about Candler Park very soon!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM

23,572 posts, read 44,306,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch888 View Post
My wife and I are relocating to Atlanta. We are considering renting a home in Candler Park based on some of the posts on this forum. We're looking for a family oriented in-town neighborhood. We want to be able to walk to stores, the park, etc.

I will be commuting to Vinings.
We have an infant daughter.

A couple of questions:

Is this a safe area?
What kind of commute can I expect? (I will often leave for work at or before 7am and will return home at or after 6pm.)
Is the MARTA train loud? (we're not too far from the station)

Thanks in advance for your help!
You will no doubt hear Candler Park residents like P<.05 sing that neighborhood's praises.
I live very near the MARTA line in Decatur and it doesn't bother me a bit.
I will warn you about the southbound commute on I-75 (which you would have to do at night)...my significant other commutes to Decatur from the Cumberland area and because of the exit closures on the Connector it has been a NIGHTMARE (even after 7 PM sometimes). A good alternative from Vinings would be to take Atlanta Rd to Marietta Blvd to Decatur St to DeKalb Ave.
I do have to ask...why not consider the Vinings or Smyrna area? A lot of the things that you're looking for could be found in those communities as well, though the "vibe" is a bit different than CP.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 21,226 times
Thanks for your response. We are looking for a walking neighborhood. We want to be able to walk to the park, the store, community garden, etc. We're renting, and my child is very young - so we don't need to worry about schools for a couple of years.

The primary requirements are:
1) Safe neighborhood
2) Young professional families
3) Walking distance to day to day destinations
4) Access to rapid transit

If there are other communities/neighborhoods that fit this bill and would offer a shorter commute to/from Vinings, I'd love to hear about them.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM

23,572 posts, read 44,306,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch888 View Post
Thanks for your response. We are looking for a walking neighborhood. We want to be able to walk to the park, the store, community garden, etc. We're renting, and my child is very young - so we don't need to worry about schools for a couple of years.

The primary requirements are:
1) Safe neighborhood
2) Young professional families
3) Walking distance to day to day destinations
4) Access to rapid transit

If there are other communities/neighborhoods that fit this bill and would offer a shorter commute to/from Vinings, I'd love to hear about them.
It is true that nowhere in Cobb county will offer you access to rapid transit; however, there are many posters on here that will tell you that their lives have been made miserable by their job commute...and in Candler Park, you will be facing a crosstown commute.
You should at least check out the downtown areas of Vinings, Smyrna and Marietta and see if any of them fills the bill.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM

401 posts, read 1,736,992 times
Even Virginia Highland or Morningside would get you a little closer to Vinings than Candler Park. I'd love to see you here in Decatur, but everyone is right - your commute will be a nightmare, particularly with all of the construction happening on the Connector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta