Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:11 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,270 posts, read 15,121,359 times

Advertisements

Powerpoint with the latest proposal for the Clifton Corridor.

The link is in the Druid Hills Civic Association Newsletter.

https://druidhills.org/

Much of it will be in the median of North Decatur Road which is already grade F in traffic.
They will be taking approximately half the front yard of existing houses along North Decatur (slides 16 and 17). Streets like Princeton already can't get out or in without someone letting them through during rush hour. Rail in the median will make those streets unlivable. This proposal will be very bad for Druid Hills.

Looks like I am going to have to spend a lot of time writing letters the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,938,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Powerpoint with the latest proposal for the Clifton Corridor.

The link is in the Druid Hills Civic Association Newsletter.

https://druidhills.org/

Much of it will be in the median of North Decatur Road which is already grade F in traffic.
They will be taking approximately half the front yard of existing houses along North Decatur (slides 16 and 17). Streets like Princeton already can't get out or in without someone letting them through during rush hour. Rail in the median will make those streets unlivable. This proposal will be very bad for Druid Hills.

Looks like I am going to have to spend a lot of time writing letters the next few years.
Yeah, N Decatur should not be widened. Just give one lane to transit and keep one for cars. Traffic is going to be an "F" regardless. Transit will at least give people more options and add a lot more capacity to the road.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:17 AM

7,375 posts, read 6,587,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yeah, N Decatur should not be widened. Just give one lane to transit and keep one for cars. Traffic is going to be an "F" regardless. Transit will at least give people more options and add a lot more capacity to the road.
You obviously don't ever go through there, taking away one lane entirely would be catastrophic for the area.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 AM

9,908 posts, read 7,368,195 times
Light rail is more capacity than replacing a vehicle lane, IF the trains are very frequent, and if the trains are all running full or near full. I don't know exactly what the math is as far as the cutoff point, but I don't know if "a lot more capacity" is necessarily automatically true.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:28 AM

23,670 posts, read 44,445,611 times
I'm finding this quite difficult to envision, and for the same reasons as given above.
If it takes this direction, expect the SFHs lining N. Decatur Rd. from Haygood to Scott Blvd. to disappear in favor of denser housing over the next few years. It's already happening around the corner on Clairmont.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,270 posts, read 15,121,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I'm finding this quite difficult to envision, and for the same reasons as given above.
If it takes this direction, expect the SFHs lining N. Decatur Rd. from Haygood to Scott Blvd. to disappear in favor of denser housing over the next few years. It's already happening around the corner on Clairmont.
Difficult in a historic district.

SFH on North Decatur from Haygood out to Scott St. don't make much sense long run, but they are there.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Difficult in a historic district.

SFH on North Decatur from Haygood out to Scott St. don't make much sense long run, but they are there.
They'll find a way. Many of the houses in East Druid Hills are exempt from the HD restrictions due to their younger age. And it didn't serve to halt construction of a townhouse community on Clairmont; the houses they leveled there were the same vintage as those on N. Decatur. Besides, the SFHs along there are already seriously devalued and will basically be good for little more than land value once they face four lanes and a LR line.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:44 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,808,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
They'll find a way. Many of the houses in East Druid Hills are exempt from the HD restrictions due to their younger age. And it didn't serve to halt construction of a townhouse community on Clairmont; the houses they leveled there were the same vintage as those on N. Decatur. Besides, the SFHs along there are already seriously devalued and will basically be good for little more than land value once they face four lanes and a LR line.
Emory has bought up over half of the Emory Grove homes that face North Decatur. 85%+ of the yard loss is through that side of the road. The big win for them is to get the transit through. Would they want to increase congestion on that stretch by adding townhomes?— if it is, I am sure they will get it. I sort of wonder how they are going to fit the at-grade section in the Clairmont Road area. Adding 30ft of road between RiceMac and McDonalds look pretty tight. I guess McDonalds will be losing their parking lot, and I guess Publix will take a hit as well.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Emory has bought up over half of the Emory Grove homes that face North Decatur. 85%+ of the yard loss is through that side of the road. The big win for them is to get the transit through. Would they want to increase congestion on that stretch by adding townhomes?— if it is, I am sure they will get it. I sort of wonder how they are going to fit the at-grade section in the Clairmont Road area. Adding 30ft of road between RiceMac and McDonalds look pretty tight. I guess McDonalds will be losing their parking lot, and I guess Publix will take a hit as well.
Well, that sheds a different light on things.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,938,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You obviously don't ever go through there, taking away one lane entirely would be catastrophic for the area.
I am through that area regularly, grew up not far from there, and have some of my best friends that live less than a half mile from this road. Can we expect the same sort of catastrophe we saw after lanes were lost from North Ave near Ponce City Market? Or after Ponce in downtown Decatur was downsized?

At least this is getting you increased transit capacity. You can't complain about the lack of transit and complain about issues with the streetcar being stuck in traffic and not be willing to give up Right-of-Way for dedicated transit lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta