Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,991 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am planning to move Atlanta in June for a new job that is located on Paces Ferry Road SE (close to Vinings Crossing Shopping Center). As I haven't been there before, I need a suggestion for a good neighbourhood to live close to my workplace. Googlemap shows Smyrna and Cumberland for instance, but I have no idea about them.

What I mean by "good" neighbourhood is safety first. Then it would be better if it is also not so expensive. Alternatively, you can also mention neighbourhoods that I should avoid.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks so much,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 06:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Hi John,

There are tons of nice apartment complexes in that area, particularly along Cumberland Parkway. I don't know what your budget is, but you ought to be able to find something nice there for $1200/month or so.

Generally speaking, this is a pretty safe area with lots of good amenities nearby. I lived it the area for 15 years and really enjoyed it.

Feel free to ask any additional questions!

Old 05-09-2018, 06:57 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
I live right by your work. It's a great area. Just find something close as you can to work.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnew View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to move Atlanta in June for a new job that is located on Paces Ferry Road SE (close to Vinings Crossing Shopping Center). As I haven't been there before, I need a suggestion for a good neighbourhood to live close to my workplace. Googlemap shows Smyrna and Cumberland for instance, but I have no idea about them.

What I mean by "good" neighbourhood is safety first. Then it would be better if it is also not so expensive. Alternatively, you can also mention neighbourhoods that I should avoid.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks so much,
John
Anywhere near Vinings Crossing is going to be a pretty good place to live, if you have a decent enough budget You won't hit any "bad" areas for a while. It would be good to know what your planned housing budget is, and it would help greatly to nail down an area.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Thank you all who responded! I really appreciate your answers. This is so valuable info for me. So, as I understand, neighbourhood of Vinings Crossing is mostly okay.

samiwas1, as to your question on my budget, I can pay up to $1500/month, but I would prefer something around 1200-1300. I don't have a family, so 1 bedroom is okay for me.

Also, what is the most common website for housing market in Atlanta? I am currently living in a small town near Boston, and the only website to find an apt here is the craigslist. I know craigslist works in Atlanta too. But I wonder whether there is any other place that you can suggest looking at. I have never searched for an apt in a big city like Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you all who responded! I really appreciate your answers. This is so valuable info for me. So, as I understand, neighbourhood of Vinings Crossing is mostly okay.

samiwas1, as to your question on my budget, I can pay up to $1500/month, but I would prefer something around 1200-1300. I don't have a family, so 1 bedroom is okay for me.

Also, what is the most common website for housing market in Atlanta? I am currently living in a small town near Boston, and the only website to find an apt here is the craigslist. I know craigslist works in Atlanta too. But I wonder whether there is any other place that you can suggest looking at. I have never searched for an apt in a big city like Atlanta.
I would probably use this website to get a general idea of where all the apartments are and what looks nice to you:

https://www.apartments.com/atlanta-ga-30339/
https://www.apartments.com/smyrna-ga-30080/

Then I would directly contact the individual apartments that you like, for more accurate rates and etc.

And yeah, Craigslist is an option as well to see if you can find something. You can probably search there for rooms or apartments in the ITP, or OTP North or maybe OTP West sections.

Just try to get within a few miles from work. That's the general rule for happiness in Metro Atlanta, where we have bad rush hour congestion issues (but traffic in non-rush hours is fine).

The Vinings/Cumberland area is a good area, and so are the parts of Smyrna circa Paces Ferry Rd or Atlanta Rd. Other parts of Smyrna are not as good though.

And in general your location around this area is near the perimeter (I-285), on the edge of ITP and OTP, so you can easily access most of the metro from here. You can get to Midtown or Howell Mill easily on weekends, and also just as easily head NW up to downtown Marietta also which is a great spot to see.

Basically it's a suburban area with suburban amenities/comforts, but close enough to the city.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-10-2018, 06:40 AM

Thanks so much primaltech! I just learned what ITP and OTP are after your message

Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:

There is a local company called ProMove whose sole purpose is to help people find apartments. I believe it's a free service. You meet with them, tell them your budget and desires, and they help you find a place. I would think that $1,200 a month would get you a perfectly fine place in that area. Looking at the apartments.com link above, you'll have plenty of choices of very nice complexes within a few minutes of your job.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much primaltech! I just learned what ITP and OTP are after your message
Hey you're welcome! Have a good move and enjoy your stay in GA.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:25 PM

297 posts, read 271,555 times
I lived in Vinings for a few years. The area over by Log Cabin road is nice and there are a lot of places to get out and walk. I lived in a condo. My friend lived in Arium at Vinings Station and it was really nice. There are a lot of apartment options in that area. You may want to check out people who are renting out their condos. The condo associations limit renters but you may be able to find a good deal. The good thing about a condo is you may have a bit better neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta