Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 AM

175 posts, read 203,529 times

Advertisements

I was discussing this with a mom the other day and don't really understand why this is true. In Atlanta, most private schools are around 20K, even the 2nd or 3rd tier private schools are usually 16-17K. But well-regarded Catholic schools are usually around 7K for Catholics and 10K for non-Catholics. Why is that? Does the associated Church subsidize the school somehow? I'm sure the teachers must make comparable salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:14 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Yes, I am quite sure the diocese subsidizes the schools.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
I was discussing this with a mom the other day and don't really understand why this is true. In Atlanta, most private schools are around 20K, even the 2nd or 3rd tier private schools are usually 16-17K. But well-regarded Catholic schools are usually around 7K for Catholics and 10K for non-Catholics. Why is that? Does the associated Church subsidize the school somehow? I'm sure the teachers must make comparable salaries.
Marist is $19K and St. Pius is $14K. Schools that are elementary only can get by with lower tuition because they don't have football stadiums, a huge campus to maintain, college advisors, AP classes, etc. Intown Community School, for example, which is not Catholic but also an elementary school housed in a church, is $10K.

Catholic elementary schools tend to have more students per teacher than other private elementary schools. My kids go to two different private schools and they each have two teachers per 18-20 children in the classroom. One of their schools has 2 1/2 teachers per classroom--2 teachers and a shared aide. I think in addition to being subsidized by the Catholic Church, Catholic elementary schools save on salary costs by having fewer teachers.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
The Catholic schools affiliated with the Archdiocese are cheaper than other privates and other Catholic schools not affiliated with the Archdiocese, but the tradeoff is big classes (sometimes 30 for elementary school). No aides usually. They are also often less willing/able to handle students with learning differences, ADHD, etc... Such schools are often fine for the capable or gifted student, but not a great fit for kids who need more individual attention or have special needs.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:13 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Marist is $19K and St. Pius is $14K. Schools that are elementary only can get by with lower tuition because they don't have football stadiums, a huge campus to maintain, college advisors, AP classes, etc. Intown Community School, for example, which is not Catholic but also an elementary school housed in a church, is $10K.

Catholic elementary schools tend to have more students per teacher than other private elementary schools. My kids go to two different private schools and they each have two teachers per 18-20 children in the classroom. One of their schools has 2 1/2 teachers per classroom--2 teachers and a shared aide. I think in addition to being subsidized by the Catholic Church, Catholic elementary schools save on salary costs by having fewer teachers.
Look at class size. Many of the Catholic schools have similar class sizes to public, while many private schools are in the 12-18 size.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:59 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I think in addition to being subsidized by the Catholic Church, Catholic elementary schools save on salary costs by having fewer teachers.
Many of the faculty are priests and nuns, which may also have a bottom-line impact.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 PM

276 posts, read 430,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Many of the faculty are priests and nuns, which may also have a bottom-line impact.
Really? This was true when I went to catholic schools 30 years ago in the Northeast, but today? I know in the northeast they have had to shut convents and consolidate in general because there are no or limited nuns. This trend was becoming more prominent in the 80s. In fact, my mom teaches at a catholic school in the northeast and I don't think they have any nuns anymore.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Nuns with rulers. Guard your wrists!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
Really? This was true when I went to catholic schools 30 years ago in the Northeast, but today? I know in the northeast they have had to shut convents and consolidate in general because there are no or limited nuns. This trend was becoming more prominent in the 80s. In fact, my mom teaches at a catholic school in the northeast and I don't think they have any nuns anymore.
Not sure but recruitment has been down the last 600 years.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
Catholics schools that are part of a Diocese are going to be cheaper. The focus of these schools was to be able to educate young Catholics in standard disciplines and in the Catholic faith of course. In traditional Catholic areas, they are Catholic schools all over the place. In Atlanta, there are relatively few and most private schools are old school elitist ones (I'm not stating that as a judgement - merely describing the difference in such schools rather than as Catholic or similar religious schools such as some Episcopal schools who feel that they have a role to help educate people regardless of income).

That said, most private schools are affiliated with a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: